User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E-M1 MkII f/w 1.4. Anyone updated & discovered improvements?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

E-M1 MkII f/w 1.4. Anyone updated & discovered improvements?

E-M1 MkII f/w 1.4 has been recently released, but I haven't got around to updating mine yet. There have been reports of some improvements with C-AF & C-AF tracking.
    Anyone else notice anything like that?
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 12 (& Olympus Workspace).

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is still on 1.2, Ross.

Thanks for the heads up though!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    Mine is still on 1.2, Ross.

Thanks for the heads up though!
    Time to update? I think we will see FW 2.0 during the next 2 or 3 months, hopefully. New features might be added but I haven't used all the features available now.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe!

However, I'm in the middle of updating/upgrading about six PCs ATM, and my back wants to leave home! Some days I reckon it might have. Osteoarthritis in my lumbar spine and facet joints (and elsewhere) gives me constant discomfort or pain. I can't take any anti-inflammatories (not with warfarin), so that leaves painkillers and antispasmodics. Far from ideal.

Hopefully v.2 gives us a couple of improvements. As you say, the camera is a very complex beastie! Very much more capable than I am ...
    Last edited by John King; 30-12-2017 at 8:54pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe!

However, I'm in the middle of updating/upgrading about six PCs ATM, and my back wants to leave home! Some days I reckon it might have. Osteoarthritis in my lumbar spine and facet joints (and elsewhere) gives me constant discomfort or pain. I can't take any anti-inflammatories (not with warfarin), so that leaves painkillers and antispasmodics. Far from ideal.

Hopefully v.2 gives us a couple of improvements. As you say, the camera is a very complex beastie! Very much more capable than I am ...
    A feel (a bit of) your pain (in my joints) but not to that extent though, & the updating of computers can be tedious. I'll wait for a quiet time at home when others aren't using the internet at the same time, so it won't slow down the update, plus I have more computer software & file maintenance to get through too.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still on 1.0, it states that I need to update to 1.3 then again to 1.4. Me thinks I'll wait and take it to my local shop for advice or they will even do it for me. I read a comment where the uploader failed and rendered the lenses inop??? Better safe than sorry.
    Filter

EOS R & 16-35 f4 EF, 70-200 2.8 RF
    Olympus OMD-EM1 Mark II 7-14 12-40 40-150 Pro lens.
    EOS 7D Mark II - 70D - Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, 17 - 55 2.8 Lenses

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Filter View Post
    I'm still on 1.0, it states that I need to update to 1.3 then again to 1.4. Me thinks I'll wait and take it to my local shop for advice or they will even do it for me. I read a comment where the uploader failed and rendered the lenses inop??? Better safe than sorry.
    Filter. I don't have any Olys, but I would not hold off updating the firmware.
    Don't "take it to a shop" and miss out on all the fun of doing it yourself. It's a
    piece of cake (or other pastry). But yes, I reckon you might have to update
    through the intermediate version to the latest. -- But what practice!!

I don;t know about the procedure for Olys, but it should be just download the
    required FW version to the root directory of your card, put it in the camera, and
    run the FW update fro the menu. I'd take a shot or two to make sure it's all working
    OK, then do the next one,... etc. But you read the Oly instruction manual to be sure
    of the method.

Have done about 7 updates like that over several cameras. You'll be -ing!

- - - Updated - - -

PS: You should NOT miss out on any "features" by going to the latest FW.
    They should all still be there from previous versions.

- - - Updated - - -

PPS: MAKE SURE your battery is FULLY charged is all...
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Filter. I don't have any Olys, but I would not hold off updating the firmware.
    Don't "take it to a shop" and miss out on all the fun of doing it yourself. It's a
    piece of cake (or other pastry). But yes, I reckon you might have to update
    through the intermediate version to the latest. -- But what practice!!
    Thanks for the kick in the A$$ am, D/L the Olympus Updater & a "piece of cake" from there. Managed to update a lens & check two others while at it. I doubt if I'll see the difference...lol

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also checked out a couple of videos on Oly FW updates. A bit different from
    what I do, but still pretty straightforward.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the kick in the A$$ am, D/L the Olympus Updater & a "piece of cake" from there. Managed to update a lens & check two others while at it. I doubt if I'll see the difference...lol
    Yes so much easier updating with Olympus, wish Canon were the same.
    I have the first model E-M1 so did all the updates, its amazing what an update can do

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That *note refers to the E-M5, not the E-M1 Mk II. With the (original) E-M5 there was a fowled up FW update & they had to follow it with a later one which actually wound it back & also provide a path for those that hadn't updated, that's why it became a two stage update for that one.

This is FW update details so far for the E-M1 Mk II.
    Firmware Update for OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
    [ E-M1 Mark II ]
    Ver.1.4
    (Dec. 19 2017)
    Improved stability of operations when shooting while utilizing the EVF.
    Ver.1.3
    (Jun. 29 2017)
    Corrected issue of AF Targeting Pad not functioning.
    Ver.1.2
    (May. 08 2017)
    Improved color reproduction of EVF.
    Corrected the issue of other brand flashes not flashing for High Res Shot, Focus Bracketing, and Focus Stacking.
    Corrected issue of Rec View screen not displaying in the rear monitor when using EVF to shoot photos.
    Corrected issue of home position of AF target not being retained when the power is turned off.
    Improved stability of the battery level indicator.
    Improved noise reduction of sequential shooting while the lens's IS is on.
    Flash controllers manufactured by Profoto are supported.
    Ver.1.1
    (Mar. 02 2017)
    Stability of RAW file formation has been improved.
    /
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    I also checked out a couple of videos on Oly FW updates. A bit different from
    what I do, but still pretty straightforward.
    It can be a bit daunting the first time (at least for some) but the instructions here for the PEN-F & E-M1 Mk II are fairly concise.
    http://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/supp...date_setbk.cfm
    Last edited by Ross the fiddler; 31-12-2017 at 8:27pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The extra family members were away & so the internet was safe to use for updating my camera (just my personal hangup worrying about the download interruption possibility) & so it updated quickly & painlessly.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ross, I'm "priddy" sure that even if interrupted, the process would resume later.
    However, glad you succeeded.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 05-01-2018 at 8:47am.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ross, I'm "priddy" sure that even if interrupted, the process would resume later.
    However, glad you succeeded.
    Yeah, I know, but I'm just being overly pedantic & prefer to pick the quietest time so I don't have to wait longer for the download, but this did download quickly. The first part of the process (downloading) can be cancelled at anytime but later as it starts to talk to the camera it can't be stopped or interrupted. Having it connected to my laptop takes care of power dropouts as well (once it has downloaded), if I was unlucky enough to have it occur.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ross, the only part that's dangerous is the actual update of the camera/lens.

The downloaded file has its checksum checked after download and before attempting to update the camera.

To ensure that the update of the camera is successful:

Use a battery powered device ( laptop), if power in your area is flakey (don't update if it's very windy, or thunderstorms);
    Have fully charged battery in camera;
    Start OV3, or the camera updater s/w;
    Place the camera and cable where they will not move, and you can easily see the camera screen, and don't even touch either until the update is complete;
    Connect camera, then select STORAGE mode, press OK on camera;

Follow the instructions to the letter.

DO NOT EVER DISCONNECT THE CAMERA DURING THE UPDATE UNTIL IT DISPLAYS "OK" ON THE CAMERA SCREEN!!!
    Sorry to shout, but this has been done almost every time I have heard of a camera or lens being bricked.

I've updated dozens and dozens of cameras and lenses. Literally hundreds of other computer devices. Never had a problem yet.

I do find it useful to open OV3 first, and update it if necessary. This also updates the camera updater stand-alone software if installed.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ross, the only part that's dangerous is the actual update of the camera/lens.

The downloaded file has its checksum checked after download and before attempting to update the camera.

To ensure that the update of the camera is successful:

Use a battery powered device ( laptop), if power in your area is flakey (don't update if it's very windy, or thunderstorms);
    Have fully charged battery in camera;
    Start OV3, or the camera updater s/w;
    Place the camera and cable where they will not move, and you can easily see the camera screen, and don't even touch either until the update is complete;
    Connect camera, then select STORAGE mode, press OK on camera;

Follow the instructions to the letter.

DO NOT EVER DISCONNECT THE CAMERA DURING THE UPDATE UNTIL IT DISPLAYS "OK" ON THE CAMERA SCREEN!!!
    Sorry to shout, but this has been done almost every time I have heard of a camera or lens being bricked.

I've updated dozens and dozens of cameras and lenses. Literally hundreds of other computer devices. Never had a problem yet.

I do find it useful to open OV3 first, and update it if necessary. This also updates the camera updater stand-alone software if installed.
    Thanks for the full details. A good checklist for the uninitiated, although I have been updating Olympus cameras for several years now (since E410) & appreciate the improvement & features they've added over the years. Actually, I remember updating a lens on the E410 & was stupid enough to panic & interfere with it at the end & amazingly (thankfully) when I tried turning off the camera it stayed on until the update had completed. I'm not sure if that would be the case with the latest models & I'm not volunteering to test it out either.

I agree with using OV3, keeping it updated, but I did just go to the Updater this time though.
    Last edited by Ross the fiddler; 05-01-2018 at 6:36pm.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
    ...I'm not sure if that would be the case with the latest models...
    I'd say that as always, a factory reset would fix any inadvertent off-switching. - Especially the later models.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 05-01-2018 at 6:34pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say that as always, a factory reset would fix any inadvertent off-switching. - Especially the later models.
    From what I've heard of 'bricked' (Olympus) cameras is that once the firmware has been corrupted, there is no resetting it, but..... there is a way & that's likely what Olympus tech's use themselves internally but this guy, LightSnow Dev, has linked directly to those updates & provided a method of updating (& downgrading) using the SD card. https://lightsnowdev.com/Olympus/
    Last edited by Ross the fiddler; 05-01-2018 at 6:52pm.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh that it should be so simple, Am!

I'm afraid it usually involves a trip to the lovely technicians in Sydney or Perth ...

I've never tried the restore method, but quite a number I know have successfully back-graded a functional camera. I've never heard of it resurrecting a bricked one .

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh that it should be so simple, Am!

I'm afraid it usually involves a trip to the lovely technicians in Sydney or Perth ...

I've never tried the restore method, but quite a number I know have successfully back-graded a functional camera. I've never heard of it resurrecting a bricked one .
    At least it's only an hours drive for me to visit them in Macquarie Park (North Ryde) should I need them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast