Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8

Thread: Photo of the Month : NEWS

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Photo of the Month : NEWS

The HostGeek photo of the Month.

Due to the dwindling entries in the photo of the month competition, there have been recent discussions with the supporter about this.

The December competition had zero entries as at 22nd December, and again this morning, it still had zero entries.

Therefore there will not be a sponsor for this competition, moving forward. For now, I have removed the December competition. The moderators and I are going to discuss this over the short term. My personal thoughts are that we simply consolidate and only run the Photo of the Week competitions during 2018, along with the weekly members' challenge.

As people move away from traditional forums to groups on Facebook etc, I think the forums are going to see a declining active membership, but will retain that core group who appreciate the quality feedback, knowledge base and advice, that goes beyond a 'like'.

I am happy for members to post their thoughts about not having a photo of the month, and if members have ideas to make the photo of the week better, more entries etc, I would like to hear your thoughts on this also.

Thanks.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Veteran tandeejay's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if people were holding off posting this months POTM as they were waiting for their parties on Christmas day to give them the material?
    Last edited by tandeejay; 24-12-2017 at 12:27pm.
    John Blackburn

"Life is like a camera! Focus on what is important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out take another shot."

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tandeejay View Post
    I wonder if people were holding off posting this months POTM as they were waiting for their parties on Christmas day to give them the material?
    Possibly, but in recent months the entries have been low:

November : 5
    October : 13
    September : 8

Which is not that many at all when you consider people have a whole month to get an entry in.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, yep, this is what I was doing. I always get a bunch of snaps on Christmas Day with the in-laws and was going to post one of the lot from tomorrow. But it wouldn’t have been a good shot anyway... more just a token entry.

I think I’ve been one of all of Rick’s numbers above, but have always found it much more challenging to come up with an entry for the monthly themes than any other ones. I have no idea why... just something I always noticed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff79 View Post
    ......., but have always found it much more challenging to come up with an entry for the monthly themes than any other ones. I have no idea why... just something I always noticed.
    I think the themes are probably the problem.
    It's only natural to make the themes harder since we have a month to think about it and enter. But in the new short attention span world if an instant idea doesn't happen people move on.
    Maybe.

Ausphotography Veteran tandeejay's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also, how many people skip the POTM because the prize is not something that they would use?

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    also, how many people skip the POTM because the prize is not something that they would use?
    So you assume people will enter more for a better prizes. There's more entries in FOTWeek that has no prizes.
    On the other hand, if Rick could organise a monthly prize for FOTM of a weeks ship cruise of the Pacific Islands. That might get more entries and maybe some publicity for AP. Tough gig for Rick and I don't think the audience here is big enough to get the sponsorship.

Maybe don't have a monthly prize.
    Keep the POTM going and the 12 monthly winners go into the end of year final to win a sponsors prize.
    Last edited by Mark L; 24-12-2017 at 10:00pm. Reason: I know what I did. lol

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you looked at the change made to the voting method. I know it affected my outlook on voting and then maybe entering a comp. Also with photobucket changing their hosting rules I haven’t chosen another method yet to get my photos online. Just food for thought......
    i don’t think people on this forum are entering comps because of the prize. More a prestigious award to actually win. Mind you if it was a new car things might be different. Any chance?
    PS. Besides the entries in the comps have been far and above better than my snapshots so this tends to stop my entry. I know it is subjective but still you do judge your own shots. Just a few ramblings...
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bricat View Post
    Have you looked at the change made to the voting method. I know it affected my outlook on voting and then maybe entering a comp. Also with photobucket changing their hosting rules I haven’t chosen another method yet to get my photos online. Just food for thought......
    i don’t think people on this forum are entering comps because of the prize. More a prestigious award to actually win. Mind you if it was a new car things might be different. Any chance?
    PS. Besides the entries in the comps have been far and above better than my snapshots so this tends to stop my entry. I know it is subjective but still you do judge your own shots. Just a few ramblings...
    What change to the voting method? We have been using the same competition system since November 2009.

You do not need to use photobucket or any other hosting service to post photos to AP, you can upload photos for critique etc direct to this site.
    Last edited by ricktas; 04-01-2018 at 7:25am.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, just on that second point, I’ve entered almost every comp here when I’ve been active and one might argue that I’ve added far too many photos on to the forums, but never once used flikr or photobucket or any hosting site. Mostly because I don’t have one. But also just because it’s very easy to upload shots directly onto the site from your hard drive.