Thread: Microsoft Windows 10 updates

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Busy converting most of our computers to Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. That's x4. Another will run XP Pro to support some old hardware (slide scanner, etc); yet another will be running Windows NT4 Server as our domain controller. Basically upgrading all the desktop computers in the house.

Even the ones running 8 GB RAM run PS5 and PS6 just fine. Got fairly loaded up caching/indexing 28,800 files in Bridge, but it did successfully complete the job!

The one upgraded to 16 GB runs very quickly.

These boxes are quite old - 7+ years old. Core2 Duo E7500 CPU, 512 MB graphics, 240 GB Kingston SSD, variety of HDDs.

BTW folks - HDDs tend to fail relatively gracefully; SSDs tend to fail catastrophically! Once setup is complete, I burn a rescue DVD and use the Windows imaging utility to make a backup of the SSD to the HDD. That's why I always recommend having a HDD to backup the SSD.

And my main Workstation will have around 5 TB of HDDs for images and other data. The SSD image gets to live on its own HDD, along with other essential reconstruction data and software.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    Busy converting most of our computers to Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. ...

BTW folks - HDDs tend to fail relatively gracefully; SSDs tend to fail catastrophically! Once setup is complete, I burn a rescue DVD and use the Windows imaging utility to make a backup of the SSD to the HDD. That's why I always recommend having a HDD to backup the SSD...

And my main Workstation will have around 5 TB of HDDs for images and other data. The SSD image gets to live on its own HDD, along with other essential reconstruction data and software...
    1. From wot? - Win 98?
    2. Good points.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From XP Pro 32 and Win7 Pro 32.

I own 4 licences for Win7 Pro 32/64, lots for XP Pro and one for Windows NT4 Advanced Server + lots for Windows NT4 Workstation.

I guess the point I'm making is that people are often better served upgrading older high quality computers than they are buying a new computer of unknown quality that might look good on paper. In the trade, these are generically known as "box dropper specials". These have usually saved tiny amounts on critical components - e.g. the motherboard, CPU, memory chips, SSD, HDD, video card; leaving aside the box itself and power supply ... You get the idea!