Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8

Thread: Microsoft Windows 10 updates

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Microsoft Windows 10 updates

Since the last 2 Microsoft Updates almost none of my Canon EOS software works any more! Most annoying, I have a Desktop and 2 laptops, I managed to repair one but the others are "shot"!
    I've been wrong before!! Happy to have constructive criticism though.Gear used Canon 50D, 7D & 5DMkII plus expensive things hanging off their fronts and of course a "nifty fifty".

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Microsoft seems to have a habit of dropping support for older stuff.

I took the free win10 upgrade on my 9yr old computer which the "Upgrade assistant" said was compatible with Win 10. Then the 1st major update of win10 comes along, and suddenly the RAID array attached to my motherboard was no longer supported... Install update... windows fails to boot... cant even roll back... Eventually bit the bullet and upgraded the hardware... (which had an added benefit that I now spend FAR LESS time waiting for lightroom... )
    John Blackburn

"Life is like a camera! Focus on what is important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out take another shot."

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rwg717 View Post
    Since the last 2 Microsoft Updates almost none of my Canon EOS software works any more! Most annoying, I have a Desktop and 2 laptops, I managed to repair one but the others are "shot"!
    Can't you force them to work in [previous Win version] compatibility mode?

- - - Updated - - -

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/...ams-compatible
    CC, Image editing OK.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After the last lot my onboard sound stopped working but I fixed it.

The other weird thing that happened was that I was typing in a password and I realised that I was typing backwards, with the cursor in front of the letters.
    It only happened once but was rather bizarre.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    ...but was rather bizarre.
    From your description, don't you mean something like "birraze"?

Interestingly, mine said that some sound app had been disabled, but I still have sound.
    So I put it down to

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Busy converting most of our computers to Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. That's x4. Another will run XP Pro to support some old hardware (slide scanner, etc); yet another will be running Windows NT4 Server as our domain controller. Basically upgrading all the desktop computers in the house.

Even the ones running 8 GB RAM run PS5 and PS6 just fine. Got fairly loaded up caching/indexing 28,800 files in Bridge, but it did successfully complete the job!

The one upgraded to 16 GB runs very quickly.

These boxes are quite old - 7+ years old. Core2 Duo E7500 CPU, 512 MB graphics, 240 GB Kingston SSD, variety of HDDs.

BTW folks - HDDs tend to fail relatively gracefully; SSDs tend to fail catastrophically! Once setup is complete, I burn a rescue DVD and use the Windows imaging utility to make a backup of the SSD to the HDD. That's why I always recommend having a HDD to backup the SSD.

And my main Workstation will have around 5 TB of HDDs for images and other data. The SSD image gets to live on its own HDD, along with other essential reconstruction data and software.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    Busy converting most of our computers to Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. ...

BTW folks - HDDs tend to fail relatively gracefully; SSDs tend to fail catastrophically! Once setup is complete, I burn a rescue DVD and use the Windows imaging utility to make a backup of the SSD to the HDD. That's why I always recommend having a HDD to backup the SSD...

And my main Workstation will have around 5 TB of HDDs for images and other data. The SSD image gets to live on its own HDD, along with other essential reconstruction data and software...
    1. From wot? - Win 98?
    2. Good points.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From XP Pro 32 and Win7 Pro 32.

I own 4 licences for Win7 Pro 32/64, lots for XP Pro and one for Windows NT4 Advanced Server + lots for Windows NT4 Workstation.

I guess the point I'm making is that people are often better served upgrading older high quality computers than they are buying a new computer of unknown quality that might look good on paper. In the trade, these are generically known as "box dropper specials". These have usually saved tiny amounts on critical components - e.g. the motherboard, CPU, memory chips, SSD, HDD, video card; leaving aside the box itself and power supply ... You get the idea!

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lost DPP and now can’t load my photos to computer. Plus a few other things stopped working wifi etc so I lost interest. Have been doing that a lot lately. It’s a fairly new laptop as well. I can’t even join the lawsuit against apple as they replaced my battery free of charge just 2 weeks ago. I guess I’ll get my mojo back once the new year really kicks in
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian. This is a well-discussed problem on various forums. Some people get the problem and others don't,
    but it seems reinstall the latest DPP to fix.

Other than that, there are other ways of getting photos to your computer, even if you don't then use
    DPP to process them. I suppose you used ZoomBrowser to download and "organise" them a la Canon.

I don't use Canon and I have no "organiser" associated with my raw conversion program. So, to get pics
    to my computer I use either FastStone Image Viewer (and slight editor), or I just copy and paste the files
    using Windows.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 01-01-2018 at 10:32pm.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using MS Windows 10 Pro and canon's DPP V4.7.20, using the Digital Lens Optimiser (DLO) kept crashing DPP.

I deleted the Folder for the DLO Downloads and re-downloaded them and this has fixed that particular problem. It is of concern that sometimes, it can be a bit of a hit and miss affair in terms of what works and what doesn't.

Luckily for me, its a hobby and not income!

Cheers

Dennis

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bricat View Post
    I lost DPP and now can’t load my photos to computer. Plus a few other things stopped working wifi etc so I lost interest. Have been doing that a lot lately. It’s a fairly new laptop as well. I can’t even join the lawsuit against apple as they replaced my battery free of charge just 2 weeks ago. I guess I’ll get my mojo back once the new year really kicks in
    So is your laptop an Apple or Windows(OS) device?

Strange thing these computer controlled devices.
    I can't really recall ever having a PC issue(other that some badly written software running badly/slowly) in the last ... umpteen years!
    Really ever since I first installed WinXP, I've been basically PC anomaly free, other than some hardware related stuff(watch out for any devices that use JMicron internal circuitry .. work of the devil! .. and manufactured by anti Windows conspirators!)

Overall pretty much error free camera body firmwares too, other than a few days back when I noted an anomaly with the D5500 and it's reliance on silent wave focusing!
    I had the 150-600 lens on the D800E and couldn't be bothered to do the lens swap routine, so decided to just pip the Siggy 12-24(4.5-5.6) lens on the D5500.
    I framed up a scene, tried to focus .. nothing!
    Spent the next 10 mins trying to find the settings for focus on a fairly unfamiliar camera body layout .. and came to naught.
    So then spent the next 10 mins after that, fitting various other lenses to the D5500 to work out that it's focus settings are fine.

I determined that the Sigma 12-24 lens just doesn't focus on the D5500(due to it's firmware!).
    Later at home I tried various other Sigma lenses, and worked out that the older gen(eg. 10-20/4-5.6) lenses focus OK, but that the slightly later eg. 50/1.4 lenses, don't! And then the newest Sigma(eg. 150-600S) does!

12-24 lens focuses fine on the D800, D300 and D70s .. just not the D5500!

Nikon are notorious for updating firmware for cameras that deliberately nullify non Nikon hardware .. such as aftermarket batteries .. and in the process have shot themselves in their respective feet with that way of thinking(D500 battery issues).

Like Dennis said .. it's hit and miss as to what works and what doesn't .. and no rhyme nor reason to why something doesn't work for one person, but then others are totally unaffected.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s windows Arthur. They really don’t want you to use anything but there own programs. I can understand that they can’t worry about other programs but if they made it more accessible to alternatives then we would all be happy. In the meantime we have to hunt and look up forums to find a fix. Thank goodness to people who give their time and energy to forums. Present company included

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It’s windows Arthur. They really don’t want you to use anything but there own programs. I can understand that they can’t worry about other programs but if they made it more accessible to alternatives then we would all be happy. In the meantime we have to hunt and look up forums to find a fix. Thank goodness to people who give their time and energy to forums. Present company included
    actually this should be reversed. Windows is just that, an operating system. When others make things to work with that operating system, the onus should be on them to make it work, no Microsoft being changed to make some third party software/device work with it. Microsoft are quite happy for people to develop their own software/hardware to work with Windows. But they should not have to give every company and programmer on the planet the right to request windows changes to suit them.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .... They really don’t want you to use anything but there own programs .....
    Like Rick said, M$ don't really compete against the likes of Canon, or Adobe or whoever in that software space.
    They make money from other stuff, Office, and Server software and stuff like that.
    M$ does give companies like Canon access to tools such as software development kits.

In your case, obviously the Windows update broke some link in the chain that DPP uses to work properly.

I reckon that same update changed the way I setup my PC. I normally have Windows Explorer to show file type extensions, and hidden system files and stuff like that.
    I guess I'm a bit paranoid(ish) about what software dumps loads of useles space wasting data into my Appdata folder and stuff like that .. and then doesn't clean it out when removed!

But the update recently changed my preferred settings to the default settings where you can't see all those hidden files and system data .. etc.

Windows are trying hard to secure their normally insecure system, and I'm thinking that the update changed some security setting and DPP was previously set to a different type of setting, and bang! .. it stopped working for 'ya.

Have you reinstalled(or updated) DPP to see if that fixes the issue?