Thread: Drone work

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drone work

Hey all,

How many of you use a drone for pics - not related to real estate - for a different perspective ?

Im thinking to get a DJI Inspire or Mavic and do a bit of video and photography with them.
    Mainly to follow motorbikes and also aerial views. I have some gopros for onboard stuff but I really don't want to drive in and around bikes with a cam out the window as it requires an extra person and bigger potential for disaster I guess.

Purely for fun at this stage.

Thoughts - Experience ?
    A Birth Certificate shows that we were born.
    A Death Certificate shows that we died.
    Pictures show that we lived!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/knumbnutz/
    http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/neilmorgan

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is worthwhile having a read of this: https://www.casa.gov.au/aircraft/lan...ones-australia

If you are doing it for fun, there are restrictions on how close you can be to homes, people and more, including height restrictions. So when you mention following motorbikes you would have to take these restrictions into account.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a bloke abuse me the other day because I pointed out that he was within 5.5 k's of an airfield and even though he was in a park, that park was in the middle of a city (populous area).
    If you get a drone for fun, make sure you have third party insurance, because it WILL crash.
    I have been in the RC game for many years and nothing survives, pilot error or component failure.
    A Merc driver found a drone in his headlight in Sydney, never found the owner, but sh*t happens.
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Mavic pro. There are some quite strict laws governing drone use and they are likely to get stricter. For a start you are not allowed to fly above roads, so following a motorbike on a road could be tricky. There are apps that tell you where you can fly and they need to be checked before you fly. There is DJI insurance available for drones, so if you crash they will replace the drone.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve A, will the insurance pay for what it hits during the crash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. I'm not sure that any insurance will cover that. It certainly won't if what you are doing is illegal. Flying drones can produce some amazing video or stills, but there are a lot of rules.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    No. I'm not sure that any insurance will cover that. It certainly won't if what you are doing is illegal. Flying drones can produce some amazing video or stills, but there are a lot of rules.
    Australia is the most over legislated country in the world... all because of stupid

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a drone both professionally and for personal photography. I really like the opportunity it gives you for a totally different perspective. Granted, I live within easy reach of rural areas which makes it easier to fly within the rules. Unfortunately there is a lot of beat up regarding drones which is price we pay for their increasing popularity and the number of idiots in the world. The regulations in Australia are reasonably tight but not restrictive enough to totally destroyed photo & video opportunities. Unless of course you live in Ballarat where the council has just prohibited the flying of drones over municipal property, which pretty well rules out flying drones within the council area. http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/5...e-regulations/
    I say go ahead. You'll enjoy it. Get yourself a Mavic Pro. It's an amazing little drone. Easy to fly, portable & about a third the cost of an inspire.

will the insurance pay for what it hits during the crash
    No. It will only replace your drone twice in a year provided you can send them the damaged drone.

Australia is the most over legislated country in the world
    Believe it or not there are counties that are a lot worse than Australia when it comes to drone legislation. Canada, for example is outrageously restrictive.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by knumbnutz View Post
    Australia is the most over legislated country in the world... all because of stupid
    The problem is that we have to be, because there are a lot of really stupid Aussies out there these days.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    The problem is that we have to be, because there are a lot of really stupid Aussies out there these days.
    Yeah. I was going to say the same with all the insane videos of people being ridiculous

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    I have a Mavic pro. There are some quite strict laws governing drone use and they are likely to get stricter. For a start you are not allowed to fly above roads, so following a motorbike on a road could be tricky. There are apps that tell you where you can fly and they need to be checked before you fly. There is DJI insurance available for drones, so if you crash they will replace the drone.
    I've never heard of the not allowed to fly above roads rule (assuming the road is free from vehicles). I just looked through all the information, including the current legislation, I could find and found no mention of roads at all. Can you provide a source for this prohibition?
    Craig

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Please do not use drones in relation to recording fires. It will simply shut down all aircraft trying to control the fire.
    Just saying.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its part of the rules mark.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gcflora View Post
    I've never heard of the not allowed to fly above roads rule (assuming the road is free from vehicles). I just looked through all the information, including the current legislation, I could find and found no mention of roads at all. Can you provide a source for this prohibition?
    You may be right, but you would have a problem if there were any vehicles on the road. Perhaps you could get away with following a bike on a road if there was no other traffic and the biker was a part of the shoot. But, you had best make sure. Any video or stills taken are easy evidence of any rule breaking.