User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: Slip Sliding Away

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slip Sliding Away

Following my post of a similar photo in the current Member's Challenge, here are a couple more of a car from the Eastern Creek Motorsport Park wet skid pan. Thanks to Mary Anne for encouraging me to post in this forum category. These are clearly not fantastic technical shots, but I like the dynamic nature of them.
    Shot at ISO 4000 and 9000 in low light and attempting to keep shutter speeds high to maintain sharpness. Unfortunately the very feature of the results, being the water spraying around, causes softness when the water turns to a fine spray or mist in front of the cars and is lit by several floodlights. However, the back-lighting afforded ny the floodlights was great, if a little upredictable. The movement of the cars is also unpredictable, so if I have another attempt at such an event I will shoot more where the cars spin, rather than panning the camera so much.
    These were processed to emphasise the look of the water spray for use on my Facebook page. Noise reduction was applied, but also sharpening and contrast.
    This car is an all wheel drive, which resulted in the best sprays of the night.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like these Ross, gee I would be happy posting these in the CC Forums not that I shoot this Genre.
    Practice makes perfect so keep up the good work

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like them too. It's nice to see something different here. Would like to see more.
    Cheers, Ann

60D, Canon 18-200mm, Canon Fisheye, Canon Macro, Canon 50mm prime, Tripod. Photoshop Elements, Picasa.

www.travellerspoint.com/users/aussirose www.flickr.com/aussirose

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that’s good stuff. Interesting and enjoyable shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    I like these Ross, gee I would be happy posting these in the CC Forums not that I shoot this Genre.
    Practice makes perfect so keep up the good work
    Thanks for your encouragement, Mary Anne. The standard of work on these forums is so high, in addition to my own self criticism, that I sometimes hesitate to post more content. I must say however that I value the learning experience from the forums. I just thought that the sharpness and contrast was a little lacking in these and the processing was limited by the noise. I recognised the results as interesting in their own right, so it was then a matter of whether "non car enthusiasts " would find them so. That is a test I apply to all of my car photos.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by aussirose View Post
    I like them too. It's nice to see something different here. Would like to see more.
    Thanks. I'll post some more car photos. Most require considerable processing in Photoshop (Elements) because I cannot isolate cars from backgrounds when I shoot, unless I capture close-ups. Also most locations are cluttered, leaving many reflections in car bodywork, unless the paint is a very light colour.
    I chose the second shot because the water spray pattern crossed over as the car spun. This driver was the most dramatic on the night and must have had a great time.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross M View Post
    ..... The movement of the cars is also unpredictable, so if I have another attempt at such an event I will shoot more where the cars spin, rather than panning the camera so much.
    Good plan I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross M View Post
    Thanks for your encouragement, Mary Anne. The standard of work on these forums is so high, in addition to my own self criticism, that I sometimes hesitate to post more content.
    Don't hesitate, you may find you are better than you think. And if not, the CC from others might make you better than you thought you could be.

Pretty impressed with how the high ISO appears here. Maybe back of the NR a bit to get things sharper. A little noise is not really a problem. (last two sentences are not CC , Just an observation.)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ross that looks like a much fun event, and you have captured the action and atmosphere for us. thanks for posting.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by martycon View Post
    Ross that looks like a much fun event, and you have captured the action and atmosphere for us. thanks for posting.
    Thanks. Not surprisingly I am a bit of a car enthusiast, but yes, this a great event to watch. I think that drifting is also fun to watch, but I haven't attended that type of event and they are typically daylight events at Eastern Creek. The wet skid pan is preferable for photography because backlit water at night is better than smoke in daylight.