User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: AP for Dummys

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AP for Dummys

A couple or three years ago, someone told me thar ctrl + would zoom the image, and ctrl 0 would restore to normal. This greatly enhanced my viewing enjoyment. Maybe it is my new 4k screen, or something else, but now it does not work. The mouse wheel controls zoom +/- in Ps etc, but only scrolls vertical on AP site. The fix is probably so simple and obvious that I can not see it. I would love to be able to zoom again. Help will be appreciated.
    a desolate marty.

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For internet viewing, the browser usually controls the zooming, and it can vary with different browsers. Most are ctrl + or ctrl -, but I know the older version of Opera was simply the plus and minus keys. Have you changed your software at the same time as getting a new monitor? The occasional program uses ctrl 1, ctrl 2 etc, but I don't think I've any like that anymore.

When trying your mouse in AP have you tried holding the ctrl key as you use the scroll wheel?

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by martycon View Post
    A couple or three years ago, someone told me thar ctrl + would zoom the image, and ctrl 0 would restore to normal. This greatly enhanced my viewing enjoyment. ....
    a ton more moons ago, I loved this ability to zoom easily that I searched out the entire galaxy for a keyboard with this zoom feature built in.. Ended up with a Microsoft keyboard with a zoom key in the centre of the keypad. I've basically worn it through to it's mechanical bones from over use.

.... Maybe it is my new 4k screen, or something else, but now it does not work. ... .
    Unlikely to be the new screen(but 'ya never know!) .. could be a driver or something, but hat's unlikely too.

..... The mouse wheel controls zoom +/- in Ps etc, but only scrolls vertical on AP site. ......
    Two points to note:
    1. the program in use determines what each key or key sets can do, if they alter the global key functions. If they don't change the global key function sets(assuming you're using Windows, as I know nothing within the fruitloop world of Apples).
    2. when you say the mouse wheel only scrolls on AP site, this actually means that your browser does this(ie. not AP website). So what browser do you use, can you try another

.... The fix is probably so simple and obvious that I can not see it. I would love to be able to zoom again. Help will be appreciated.
    a desolate marty.
    Despair not!
    We need input! .. more input as to the configuration of hardware(what keyboard, mousey) and what browser you've chosen to implement(Edge? Firefox? is it even Windows-ey (sorry probably should remember, but I seem to recall it is Windows.

So! .. assuming it is Windows and lets say you're using Firefox too.

1. first you'd want to check what mouse/keyboard hardware you have, and if there is a (new/updated) driver for the hardware.
    The reason for this is that there is a possibility that the driver will have some software to configure the global settings on how the mouse and keyboard react to the various keyboard functions on offer.
    If you have a microsoft mouse/keyboard set, the driver is usually called Intellipoint(for mouse) and Intellitype (for keyboard).
    If this software is installed, then you will have an entry in your apps/programs menu to access it's ability to set/restore some of these complex key parameters.
    Note that if your mouse/keyboard is from another manufacturer(eg. logitech) then they have similar software with their driver programs to.

2. if you don't have/use a microsoft(or other branded) keyboard/mouse with this type of software flexibility, then for sure the issue will be with your browser program.
    If you're using Firefox, note that about 2 weeks ago it got updated to the new 'Quantum' version .. so there could be a addon or something that has confounded the internal workings of the browser. If your browser of choice is non firefoxey .. sorry can't really help.

Because I have only really used FF for the past bazillion years now(ie. I have no idea how you'd do this in another browser!!), in FF, the two ways to check for some addon incompatibility are:

1. go to the Options(either a gear icon or use the three horizontal bars icon) and go into addons option. you can disable each addon when you're in the extensions section of the addon area.
    2. easier way is to 'restart firefox with addons disabled'. If you use the maximised window mode where you don't have the upper tool bar in view(the tool bar with File-Edit-View-History-Bookmarks-Help options) then you press the [Alt] key to toggle this toolbar on and off.
    Toggle it to reveal the toolbar. Go to Help and in the list there is an option to restart firefox with addons disabled.

** Note in 1. earlier mentioned. If you used that three horizontal bar icon (this is the Open menu window) you may or may not have noticed the ability to zoom directly from that small popup window itself. There area few sections of things to open/do, this zoom option is rather obvious in the popup window. press the -/+ to zoom in out, and the % number window to reset to 100%
    I'm thinking too, maybe if you do this, (and you are using FF) then maybe whatever internal electron has caused the system to stick for you and not operate the Cntrl+- functions .. maybe using that mode of control may 'unstick' it too?(unlikely but worthy of an attempt to exile that errant electron )

hope some of this ranting and raving has helped
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As per ^ it is a browser feature, not an AP feature. Try a different browser.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marty...
    (Done any good reading lately)
    Just tested a third 4th* browser - MS Edge. That makes 4 that work with Ctrl + and -
    AND Ctrl-Scroll wheel (you didn't mention Ctrl with Scroll wheel).

HOWever, if you want to go into nuts-and-bolts you could check the settings on
    your browser. I won't go into it now, but if you are using FFox and you want to know, let
    me know...

* Can't count!

Also - when you're using the number pad, make sure it is "ON". Often, mine goes OFF
    (due to power saving and weird things happen.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 03-12-2017 at 9:58am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post

I know nothing within the fruitloop world of Apples).
    Control + scroll (however you do that, I use the trackpad) works to zoom everything.

Nyaah!

I'm guessing Marty's on Windows.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks farmax, ctrl key with scroll wheel now works for me, as an alternative to ctrl + etc. Part of problem solved. Unfortunately the posted image size does not magnify along with the text and layout.
    cheers marty.

- - - Updated - - -

Rick my apologies for inferring that it was an AP problem. A more appropriate title would have been "AP for Dummy Users". I used the term images, but should also have mentioned that text and avatars magnify as usual with ctrl +
    regards marty.

- - - Updated - - -

Am thanks for your help. I am using FFox, with Win 10 pro. Win 10 just did a massive opdate, but my niggle remains. It is a nuisance, but does not rate as a problem. In my post I should have made it clear that text and avatars magnify with ctrl +, but not the posted image. I will have a close look at browser settings. I am using an old MS keyboard, but never use the number pad. Amazingly I just found the calculator key, and it works. I will say so if I find no answer.
    regards marty

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm! That is strange, Marty.
    Certainly EVERYthing enlarges for me. (Using W10 Home.)

If you have another browser, check what happens in that.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW. You know that Ctrl 0 (zero) takes you back to the default magnification?

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arthur, your "ranting and raving" is always appreciated as it is detailed, and I can usually understand it. Just as an aside, I am using an old MS keyboard. There is no zoom facility, but I have just noticed a calculator and some sound control keys, none of which are ever used. I use Win 10 Pro and FFox, and will turn off addons. I should mention that when I posted, I should have made it clear that only the image does not magnify. Text, avatars and layout magnify as usual with ctrl + etc . This next may be a red herring, but my recently downloaded CC version of Ps, does not resize the menus of plugins such as the Nik suite. I am wondering if my problem is related to my new Benq monitor as the stated problem only started after changing.
    regards marty.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Am I will try with Chrome, and yes I use ctrl 0, and it is good to check, especially in my case.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am all works well with Chrome, why did I not think of that? Well because I was fixated on the monitor. I have disabled all the plugins and addons I can see in FFox, but still no joy with this browser. Maybe I need to shut down for it to take effect.
    Thanks to you and all others, I shall use Chrome for the time being.
    regards marty.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .... I should mention that when I posted, I should have made it clear that only the image does not magnify. Text, avatars and layout magnify as usual with ctrl + etc . .....
    In that case, you're issue is a whole different kettle of beasts!

That makes no sense to me why it'd do something like that.

Definitely a Firefox issue(confirmed that you get joy with Chrome.
    As with Am, my FF works as expected with the Cntrl++ and - zooming too.

Hopefully one final possibility could be this obscure setting in FF:

In the Toolbar(if it's displayed) .. (if not, and you have the toolbar hidden to display more webpage, then press the Alt key to reveal the toolbar!)

In the Toolbar, locate the View menu item.
    Click the View menu item to reveal the drop down menu.
    Look for the Zoom option(s)
    In the list of zoom options the last one is to Zoom Text Only!
    Make sure this is not ticked.

Obviously having that enabled only zooms text on a webpage, and will do what you described.

Something to try if it's not ticked is to tick it and untick it .. maybe some menu item in about:config got corrupted and wanted to mess with your sanity when FF updated to the latest version.
    So an enable/disable routine may rectify this conspiracy against you!
    Last edited by arthurking83; 03-12-2017 at 11:45pm.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BINGO! Thank you Arthur you are a Royal Master of Firefox. The recent update of FF may have included that as a default setting.
    regards marty