Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  9

Thread: Bizarre

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bizarre

We are currently on the north NSW coast and today went to the hinterland. Walking onto the viewing platform for Minyon Falls there was this young female sitting on a ledge, not much wider than her, one arm in a sling, a 100m drop below her and her thongs left on the boardwalk near the lookout. At first she appeared asleep but I noticed every time she heard somebody walk onto the lookout she would glance up then quickly resume her asleep pose. Somebody did ask if she was okay to which she replied 'fine'. Who knows why she did it.
    _DSC2102.jpg
    Glenda

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the “wrap around” scenic view with the bonus of a nice rainbow, the falls look impressive.

I can sympathise with these “stranger” encounters, where you are uncertain about whether the person may require some assistance. I had a similar encounter when ascending Ben Nevis (Scotland) in winter in a blizzard, under almost white out conditions. We came across a stationary young man (inappropriately dressed for the blizzard conditions) and asked if all was okay. He suddenly turned on us and got all abusive, so we encouraged him to descend but he aggressively demanded my ice axe, a request which I politely declined and then he suddenly took off, thankfully in a downwards direction.

This was some 25 years ago and today, I would be warier due to the unpredictability of folks if they are on something, or struggling with problems that may cause dangerous reactions. The urge to be a good Samaritan is strong, but self-preservation is a powerful instinct too.

Cheers

Dennis

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you report it?
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad really and Hope all was well with her..

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So that’s what this waterfall looks like! We went there about this time last year during a week long stay in Evans Head. When we got up here the falls were absolutely bone dry... not even worthy of a sympathy shot. Beautiful spot, though, and yes, very high up.

I’m genuinely pleased to see a good photo of it in action. I wonder if I should use this shot in our photo album.

As for the intruder, that’s very strange. Not something every photo of these falls would feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nardes View Post
    [...] in winter in a blizzard, under almost white out conditions. We came across a stationary young man (inappropriately dressed for the blizzard conditions) and asked if all was okay. He suddenly turned on us and got all abusive, so we encouraged him to descend but he aggressively demanded my ice axe, a request which I politely declined and then he suddenly took off, thankfully in a downwards direction.
    Could have been hypothermia; people act very strangely when they have hypothermia (including undressing themselves)
    Craig

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She might have been seeking solace and comfort from the sound of the falling water. Hope all is well with her.

Member formerly known as : Lplates
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for looking everyone. She certainly looked relaxed and definitely not stressed, also said she was fine. I would be a nervous wreck in this position and clinging onto that rock with my fingernails, but one of my sons is a climber and considers a 15cm ledge more than comfortable to stand on thousands of metres above ground.