User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Getting catch lights with overhead/back lighting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting catch lights with overhead/back lighting

I struggle with midday photos so i'm getting some practice. This photo was taken around midday and the sun was directly above or even slightly behind her. She has a lack of catch lights in her eyes and im wondering what is the best way to get them in a bright, daytime situation like this without having her facing the sun which would cause squinting.

DSC_3536 by Joanne Sparrow Photography, on Flickr

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When shooting in strong daylight I always use fill flash to soften the harsh shadows and create the catch light in the eyes.
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian500au View Post
    When shooting in strong daylight I always use fill flash to soften the harsh shadows and create the catch light in the eyes.
    Can that be achieved using the cameras pop up flash or is it better to use a dedicated flash unit on top of the camera?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Can that be achieved using the cameras pop up flash or is it better to use a dedicated flash unit on top of the camera?
    Mark you can use what ever is available, but certainly a dedicated flash unit gives you more options as you can adjust the power etc. The only down side is the extra weight on top of the camera body sometimes can cause some difficulty with balance.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian500au View Post
    Mark you can use what ever is available, but certainly a dedicated flash unit gives you more options as you can adjust the power etc. The only down side is the extra weight on top of the camera body sometimes can cause some difficulty with balance.
    Flash photography, in daylight, is something I’ve also wondered about in the past, especially since having kids. I’ve tried using flash to remove the harsh shadows, but often end up completely blowing out a shot, thus completely ruining it. So I always get scared off and just use the natural light as best I can, with the hope I’ll just try to remove the harshest shadows in pp. Far less than ideal, but when you get a completely blown out shot there’s absolutely no saving it, so I don’t take my chances.

Do you have any kind of “go to” tutorial you know of that really sorts this out for a novice flash in daylight user?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff79 View Post
    Flash photography, in daylight, is something I’ve also wondered about in the past, especially since having kids. I’ve tried using flash to remove the harsh shadows, but often end up completely blowing out a shot, thus completely ruining it. So I always get scared off and just use the natural light as best I can, with the hope I’ll just try to remove the harshest shadows in pp. Far less than ideal, but when you get a completely blown out shot there’s absolutely no saving it, so I don’t take my chances.

Do you have any kind of “go to” tutorial you know of that really sorts this out for a novice flash in daylight user?

Geoff I am sure there are a few Youtube videos around that would give a better tutorial but I can explain the basics for you. This the basic set up I use.

In this case let's not get to fancy - we just want something that works with a minimum about of fuss. Set your 70D to AV mode. Mount the flash (I use a 580EX II). Set the flash for high speed sync (you can do that on the flash menu itself or I think via the flash menu on the camera). By doing this you are not restricting yourself to a 1/200 shutter speed. if you don't do this then your camera will only set the shutter speed to 1/200 regardless of the aperture (and mostly likely the cause of your blow outs).

By setting the camera to AV mode the flash automatically knows to only act as a fill flash and will only shoot out enough light to lighten the shadows under the eyes etc. If you think the light is a little much - just dial the flash back 1 or 2 stops. In this way the body will meter for the ambient light, set the shutter speed and the flash will "fill" the shadows.

I very rarely shoot an outside portrait without some type of fill flash.

Let me know if that works for you.

Kel
    Last edited by Brian500au; 10-11-2017 at 10:27pm.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Kel, that already sounds great and something I haven’t tried, and didn’t know... the part about using Av mode. I’m going to try this tomorrow and see how it goes. Thank you very much.