Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  14
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Backup Photo Storage

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best and fastest "cloud storage" is a separate drive kept at a local bank or friend's house. Rotate periodically with an active drive. Do not leave active drives plugged into the computer! Keep one in a safe, or similar, where it cannot easily be found and stolen by the five minute burglar.

The single biggest problem with cloud storage is that you can never see the financials of the company. That is, your cloud storage could evaporate at the press of a button by a liquidator ...

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    The best and fastest "cloud storage" is a separate drive kept at a local bank or friend's house. Rotate periodically with an active drive. Do not leave active drives plugged into the computer! Keep one in a safe, or similar, where it cannot easily be found and stolen by the five minute burglar.

The single biggest problem with cloud storage is that you can never see the financials of the company. That is, your cloud storage could evaporate at the press of a button by a liquidator ...
    In the past (at one time) I used to keep a back up in the office and will probably revert to that for my old scanned family photos etc. Anytime we go away for a period, I put a mirror drive away. We live in the country and I work from home so the house is rarely without some one around. Having said that, the burbs have been getting progressing closer over the yrs and talking to the local coppers the crime rate is getting much worse in town. Crikey, you can even order a home delivery pizza these days

Good point about the cloud
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Ready to Print
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Synctoy to back up my photos to an internal hard drive within my PC.
    Recently I bought a WD My Cloud Home 8T external device that plugs straight into my router. Very handy (wished I had bought it earlier) as I can look/download files off it from my laptop and mobile phone.
    I also have Crashplan which is an online back up service. I figured that I need an back up off site.

Canon user in training.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12