Thread: Yongnuo 50mm f/1.8 - any good?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yongnuo 50mm f/1.8 - any good?

Greetings everyone,

Spotted a couple of reviews recently of the Yongnuo 50mm f/1.8 prime lens, and am seriously considering picking one up.

Price seems to be between $80-90 for one.

Does anyone have/use one, and if so, what are your thoughts?

I know it won't be the absolute best piece of glass, but thought it might be worth playing around with, for the price.
    Last edited by Bensch; 21-10-2017 at 9:36pm.
    -Andy

All CC is greatly appreciated, the only way to learn is if we share our ideas. I can't be offended, so feel free to share your ideas for improvement.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    may as well spend the extra $10 and get the canon 50mm f1.8 ...nifty fifty..crackin piece of glass...
    ok scrap that as just noticed your a Nikon user....
    Last edited by paulheath; 21-10-2017 at 10:05pm.
    long live

http://www.birdphotographyworkshops.com.au

Canon R7, and a lot of other bits and bobs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure about the quality if their lenses but Yongnuo make good flashes. I tossed up buying the same lens but wound up spending about $180 from memory on a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-S and don't regret spending the extra. Just make sure that the lens will autofocus on your camera. I bought a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF for around $100 and it will not autofocus on my D5100. I should have just bought the AF-S up front.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Andrew

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A second-hand nifty-50 from any of the main manufacturers doesn't cost much more and you can recoup most of that on resale when you get tired of it.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paulheath View Post
    may as well spend the extra $10 and get the canon 50mm f1.8 ...nifty fifty..crackin piece of glass...
    ok scrap that as just noticed your a Nikon user....
    Thanks Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Hawthy View Post
    Not sure about the quality if their lenses but Yongnuo make good flashes. I tossed up buying the same lens but wound up spending about $180 from memory on a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-S and don't regret spending the extra. Just make sure that the lens will autofocus on your camera. I bought a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF for around $100 and it will not autofocus on my D5100. I should have just bought the AF-S up front.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks Andrew

Reviews do make it seem good for the money.
    I had looked at the Nikon AF 50mm f/1.8 D but will only AF with bodies that have a built in focusing motor (the D3100 doesn't )
    Whereas the Yongnuo has a built-in focus motor.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post
    A second-hand nifty-50 from any of the main manufacturers doesn't cost much more and you can recoup most of that on resale when you get tired of it.
    Thanks Peter

I've been keeping my eyes out for a second hand 50 (that will work with the D3100) but haven't come across anything.

Not too worried about the resale value, if it got to the point where I didn't want it anymore, I'd more than likely just give it away rather than sell.