Quote Originally Posted by paulheath View Post
may as well spend the extra $10 and get the canon 50mm f1.8 ...nifty fifty..crackin piece of glass...
ok scrap that as just noticed your a Nikon user....
Thanks Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Hawthy View Post
Not sure about the quality if their lenses but Yongnuo make good flashes. I tossed up buying the same lens but wound up spending about $180 from memory on a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-S and don't regret spending the extra. Just make sure that the lens will autofocus on your camera. I bought a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF for around $100 and it will not autofocus on my D5100. I should have just bought the AF-S up front.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks Andrew

Reviews do make it seem good for the money.
I had looked at the Nikon AF 50mm f/1.8 D but will only AF with bodies that have a built in focusing motor (the D3100 doesn't )
Whereas the Yongnuo has a built-in focus motor.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post
A second-hand nifty-50 from any of the main manufacturers doesn't cost much more and you can recoup most of that on resale when you get tired of it.
Thanks Peter

I've been keeping my eyes out for a second hand 50 (that will work with the D3100) but haven't come across anything.

Not too worried about the resale value, if it got to the point where I didn't want it anymore, I'd more than likely just give it away rather than sell.