User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: This might be the year I've been waiting for ......

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This might be the year I've been waiting for ......

Over 30 years ago I joined the Dying with Dignity group, hoping that society would bypass religious and conservative objections and allow each of us to choose how we die. In the intervening years basically bugger all happened, except a brief moment of sanity in the Northern Territory which was squashed by the Federal Government.

Today, the Victorian Parliament has voted to allow the terminally ill to end their own suffering. Hopefully the Upper House will not object.

Soon we should allow gays to marry, which is another monumental step forward in Australia.

I realise that others will disagree on one or both of these, but for me personally, I think 2017 is shaping up to be a huge step forward in compassion and a massive win for common sense and decency.

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suum cuique.

--And 2018 will be hailed for its end of ethnic cleansing, truck bombs, people trafficking...
    and the general advent of world peace. - Chickenfeed, when you think about it.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Suum cuique.

--And 2018 will be hailed for its end of ethnic cleansing, truck bombs, people trafficking...
    and the general advent of world peace. - Chickenfeed, when you think about it.
    We really are a crap species aren't we ....... the way we treat each other!

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In this game of Craps, I'll see your "each other", and raise you an "everything"

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mankind, an oxymoron if ever there was one, should put aside it's tools and toys, climb back up the trees from where we once descended, and contemplate what a bloody mess we've made of just about everything we've touched.

Oh wait, we can't do that because we've chopped most of the trees down.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I found your original post optimistic Bob.
    And then posts that digress from you optimism on topics that have nothing to do with the reasons for you optimism.

Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    . Hopefully the Upper House will not object.
    Soon we should allow gays to marry, which is another monumental step forward in Australia.
    I wouldn't assume these two things to be a given until they actually happen.
    Certainly progress is slowly happening though.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    I wouldn't assume these two things to be a given until they actually happen.
    Certainly progress is slowly happening though.
    Nope, certainly no assumptions - but it's the most positive set of circumstances in my lifetime. When I joined the Dying with Dignity movement 30 + years ago I figured it should all be sorted by the time I got to the pointy end of life. Never thought it would take this long.

I the upper house rejects it, it won't come back again for a very long time. NSW is waiting to see what happens in Victoria, and so now they'll be encouraged to do the same!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    Mankind, an oxymoron if ever there was one, should put aside it's tools and toys, climb back up the trees from where we once descended, and contemplate what a bloody mess we've made of just about everything we've touched.

Oh wait, we can't do that because we've chopped most of the trees down.
    We can always use photographs of the tree/s with figures climbing into them.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richtbw View Post
    We can always use photographs of the tree/s with figures climbing into them.
    Please offer something to do with the original post from Bob to keep your access to AP.

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    Over 30 years ago I joined the Dying with Dignity group, hoping that society would bypass religious and conservative objections and allow each of us to choose how we die. In the intervening years basically bugger all happened, except a brief moment of sanity in the Northern Territory which was squashed by the Federal Government.

Today, the Victorian Parliament has voted to allow the terminally ill to end their own suffering. Hopefully the Upper House will not object.

I realise that others will disagree on one or both of these, but for me personally, I think 2017 is shaping up to be a huge step forward in compassion and a massive win for common sense and decency.
    I am with you - agree
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite