User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  24
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abobe updates Lightroom CC to Lightroom Classic and there is a "new" LR CC for Mobiles???

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Abobe updates Lightroom CC to Lightroom Classic and there is a "new" LR CC for Mobiles???

I opened up my Adobe CC Updater just now and found heaps of changes/updates.

Lightroom has been renamedto Lightroom Classic and there is a new program that's now called LightroomCC.

From a website: Adobe has renamed Lightroom (the Lightroom that we know at least) to Lightroom Classic. And they’ve introduced a new program called Lightroom CC. Lightroom Classic is a totally separate program from Lightroom CC, and not something you would use together as they don’t talk back and forth to each other.

https://mattk.com/lightroom-cc-is-no...eid=c6be5ce488

Still trying to figure it out...

Cheers

Dennis

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple:

(1) Lightroom Classic is Lightroom. Adobe say that it will continue, but who believes that when they have already named it "classic"?
    (2) Its replacement, Lightroom CC is a dumbed-down made-for-mobile toy thing designed to appeal to clueless millennials.
    (3) There are updates to Photoshop, but nothing worth mentioning in particular. Most people won't notice any difference.
    (4) There is now no escape from monthly rental payments, none at all. Adobe will have its pound of flesh.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somehow I agree with your sentiment on every point
    CC, Image editing OK.

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting read. This does make sense to me to be honest. Mobile is the future and not just for posting look at me photos either. A larger part of all lines of business are going that way, banking, insurance etc. Statistically, hardly anyone does online banking on a PC anymore - I am one of the hardly any, Old school LOL. I think Adobe has made a decision to ensure Adobe capture the mobile app for LR market. Why would you want a load of mobile features on your Desktop LR program etc. The one thing here that does concern me a little, is part of this may be a way forward for additional Adobe CC cost with both LR versions if the sync-ing of desktop and mobile lightroom is moved to the mobile version only. I often do this so I can easily display my photo's on my Ipad and never use the mobile LR for editing, just display and ease of photo sync.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand. In the article it mentions there will be LR CC and LR "Classic" CC and it doesn't read "to me at least" that Adobe are going to abandon Classic, just that the direction is to have two LR version more aligned with the base usage.

Adobe can be some what ahead of the league in a number of ways (you pay for that privelege :-( ) and I think this is just a reflection of making sure they have a business model to make an early wedge into a growing market place - that being mobile users.

Just my thoughts :-) For yrs I have been expecting a substantial jump in my monthly subscription as I thought that was a plan and bothered me when I signed up - to date this hasn't happened and although I don't think it will be, I hope this isnt the start of it.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikew09 View Post
    Why would you want a load of mobile features on your Desktop?
    There is no such thing as a "mobile feature". Portability aside, the only thing that mobile platforms offer is a lack of features, a comprehensive dumbing down.

Or maybe you meant "why would you want a load of desktop features on your mobile?", which would be a fair question. The reality is that mobile platforms simply don't have the screen space, interface richness and power, storage, or processing power to sensibly include a great many desktop features. It is a tribute to the effort that has gone into mobile platforms over recent years that they often manage to include a remarkably large fraction of the full desktop feature set and quite often make that restricted subset remarkably usable. But sadly, the reverse applies: over the same timescale, the tremendous power and richness of the desktop environment has suffered from relative lack of development effort, and from the relentless dumbing-down of interfaces as desktop systems become more mobile-like. Look, just for one tiny example, at the credit card transaction list yor bank provides on-line. A few years ago, when it was designed for real computers, it provided a running balance on every line and reconciliation was a soda. Now that it's designed for mobile, that information is no longer provided, and finding a discrepancy between your records and the bank's becomes a time-consuming nightmare. We won't even mention the awful Windows 8/10 Metro interface.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Dennis -
    I can already see some advantages for my playing workflow

Probably not the right place, but a quick question....
    Does anyone with the basic CC package (Photoshop, Lightroom, Bridge and Raw) actually use Lightroom?...is there something I'm missing?

I've opened LR a few times to 'have a play' and quickly reverted back to ACR/PS where there is far more control.

To me, so far, LR only looks like a crude version of ACR...

Like I said, have I missed something?

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    There is no such thing as a "mobile feature". Portability aside, the only thing that mobile platforms offer is a lack of features, a comprehensive dumbing down.

Or maybe you meant "why would you want a load of desktop features on your mobile?", which would be a fair question. The reality is that mobile platforms simply don't have the screen space, interface richness and power, storage, or processing power to sensibly include a great many desktop features. It is a tribute to the effort that has gone into mobile platforms over recent years that they often manage to include a remarkably large fraction of the full desktop feature set and quite often make that restricted subset remarkably usable. But sadly, the reverse applies: over the same timescale, the tremendous power and richness of the desktop environment has suffered from relative lack of development effort, and from the relentless dumbing-down of interfaces as desktop systems become more mobile-like. Look, just for one tiny example, at the credit card transaction list yor bank provides on-line. A few years ago, when it was designed for real computers, it provided a running balance on every line and reconciliation was a soda. Now that it's designed for mobile, that information is no longer provided, and finding a discrepancy between your records and the bank's becomes a time-consuming nightmare. We won't even mention the awful Windows 8/10 Metro interface.
    Yep, I get what your saying and good point about features on mobile ;-). I suppose I wont mention I work for a Bank / Insurance company

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On this family-friendly forum, Gazza, it's wise to stick to politics or religion. Less controversial.

I rather suspect that maybe 2/3rds of the $10 subscribers use Lightroom, putting you, me, and Pappyrob in the same category as the softly-spoken ones who drink grape juice and go to church on Fridays.

The big thing with Lightroom is that it either completely dominates your workflow and does everything (including file management and categorisation), or else it's a complete PITA and gets ignored. There is not much middle ground with it.

(This would make an interesting poll question.)

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know whether it is any comfort to you Gazza but you have pretty much echoed my thoughts on LR vs PS.

I look at LR occasionally but have never felt any real desire to use it.

So whatever you are missing Gazza, I am missing it too.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone with the basic CC package (Photoshop, Lightroom, Bridge and Raw) actually use Lightroom?
    I use it as my main editing tool. It my workhorse. I can't see me going to the new Lightroom though. At this stage it hasn't all the features and I can't see how you would make the transition easily.
    Last edited by enseth; 19-10-2017 at 12:50pm.

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Thanks, Dennis -

Does anyone with the basic CC package (Photoshop, Lightroom, Bridge and Raw) actually use Lightroom?...is there something I'm missing?

I've opened LR a few times to 'have a play' and quickly reverted back to ACR/PS where there is far more control.

Hi Gazz, I have the basic package but was a LR user before Adobe Cloud as I couldn't afford the standalone of PS and didn't go much on PSE at the time as it didn't have layer masks etc then.

I still us LR a fair bit and is part of my workflow. For me personally, I find LR one of the best photo mgr to organised, categorise etc for my photos. I find that LR CC integrates very well with PS CC and I launch photos for some more serious edits from LR into PS.
    I also find LR very good for doing the first upload culls etc. I import using LR, open the first shot and go through them, x=discard, P=Pick (worth keeping) and so on. Then I can go through and do a side x side comparison of shots that are close to similar, maybe zoom in to see which is sharper of has less noise and such, Then use the filter to just list all those marked as discard so I can group select and delete. There are some of the nice features in LR I use and quite a number of pro's tend to do it this way also which is how I come to this process by you tubing how some professionals manage photos.

However, fair to say I dont use it a great deal as an actually editor but also fair to say I would struggle to manage my vast photo library with LR. One other thing to consider, is LR uses a catalog for the photos library which I back up. I used the catalog to bring exactly the same library, keywords, filters etc onto my new PC with a fresh build of LR and PS - I also back this up to an external drive in case of local drive failure.

- - - Updated - - -

I am updating now and see there is quite and update for Adobe Bridge - if Adobe bring enough of the LR features into Bridge I may very well stop using LR.

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know lots of people who do use lightroom and many rarely venture into photoshop, but I prefer to use ACR, possibly because I actually had photoshop before lightroom. I do occasionally use Lr for stitching panos but probably wouldn't miss it if I didn't have it.
    Glenda

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Dennis -

Hi Gazza

I use it as follows:

• Image Browser
    • Metadata viewer
    • Keyword allocation and searching (very useful find & filtering after appropriate Keywords applied during file import.)
    • Culling "Selects" from "Keepers" from "Trash 'em"
    • Compare 2 images side by side.
    • Apply Lens Corrections.
    • Apply Camera Profiles.

Cheers

Dennis

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Dennis -

I use both Lightroom and Photoshop. I have used photoshop for about 14 years, but only started using lightroom about 5 years ago. I changed from C1. Why did I change? Because I had started using two products - Helicon Focus and LRTimelapse. Now, both of these products will work without Lightroom, but it makes them much simpler and faster. After I started using it I quickly came to like its' features and I use it as my way of importing all of my photos and for the viewing and sorting. Like all adobe products, it is complex and takes a bit of learning, but there are numerous videos and tutorials out there and it is generally worth the effort if you do complex or large scale processing. For simple stuff it can be used instead of photoshop and is very quick for large scale editing.

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nardes View Post
    Hi Gazza

I use it as follows:

• Image Browser
    • Metadata viewer
    • Keyword allocation and searching (very useful find & filtering after appropriate Keywords applied during file import.)
    • Apply Camera Profiles.

Cheers

Dennis
    Pretty much the same as me Dennis, but you said it in about 200 words less - :-) ;-) - nicely done

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should add that I was a satisfied PS/ACR/Bridge user for a number of years and kind of steered clear of LR, as I didn't perceive a need for it, although knowing nothing about LR, I guess I had no basis for deciding if it would be useful or not.

One day I just started fiddling with LR and saw that it could be quite useful in helping me manage all my images. It took me a while to wrap my brains around LR but I am glad that I persevered, it is quite helpful in terms of "how I work" and my approach to photography.

Now, if I were gifted, like some of our more talented members, who can expose and compose correctly in camera, I would not be so dependant on PS and LR.

Cheers

Dennis

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nardes View Post
    Hi Gazza

I use it as follows:

• Image Browser
    • Metadata viewer
    • Apply Camera Profiles.

Cheers

Dennis
    EDIT: I also use "Collections" and "Smart Collections" so that I can add selected photos to a "Collection" or automatically generate a "Smart Collection" for e.g. All JPGs, Width=1024 Pixels, 5* Rating, etc. so I can then browse just those images returned by the (easy to set) criteria.

Cheers

Dennis

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey all, thought I'd bump this thread in the hope some posters here might have had an issue like mine in the past and can help out.

So, I am very fond of the Lightroom CC app and am (had been) enjoying uploading RAW photos from my phone to my laptop.

To be well noted is the fact that I don't actually own Lightroom on my laptop. I'm still rolling with CS6 & ACR.

So, to upload the photos onto my laptop I have been opening iTunes, connecting my Iphone via USB cable, go to 'File Sharing,' click on '0000000000000000000000000' (etc.) and then I save it to my laptop. Usually works super easy without issue and everyone ends their day with a smile on their face...

UNTIL NOW!!!

Now, I try to do the above and after a minute or so of "uploading" the photos, I am greeted angrily by the message:

"000000000000000000000000000000000" could not be copied because an error occurred. An unknown error occurred (-1426)."

And that's the end of it. No photos uploaded, and at the moment I can't upload photos onto my laptop. Can't see a way to fix the issue. Would absolutely love any tips anyone might have.

If worst came to worst I think I could convert all the photos from Lightroom CC into JPEG images and move them into my Photos library on the phone, and upload from there. Problem with this is this would take a ridiculously long time and I lose the joy of RAW files.

End of the day, I'd love to just go back to how easy and simple it was before if possible. Anyone have any tips... please?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure exactly how you're doing the uploading as I avoid iTunes like the plague, but I upload from my phone ( a Samsung) to a free dropbox account (automatically) and then access through dropbox exactly the same as any external drive, if that helps
    Last edited by Boo53; 16-06-2019 at 10:12pm.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geoff I plug my same phone into the computer Win 7 forget about iTunes I X that off.
    I go into *Computer* where you will see all your drives and devices with removal storage it will be there.
    Under Portable Devices You will see the iPhone open > Internal Storage open it up and away you go.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast