Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  10

Thread: Memory

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Memory

Do you know what bugs me?

It bugs me that, three or four hours after I put it down, I can remember without the slightest trouble that I'm up to page 167 of my book, about a third of the way down.

Well, that doesn't actually bug me so much. What really bugs me is that I can't remember for the life of me where I put it down.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is the doorpost causing this I have discovered. I know exactly what I need to do/have done, but as I walk out of the room/house, I often "forget". I have passed under/through the doorpost.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richtbw View Post
    It is the doorpost causing this I have discovered. I know exactly what I need to do/have done, but as I walk out of the room/house, I often "forget". I have passed under/through the doorpost.
    There is actually some truth in that. Scientists have known for a while now that once we pass through a doorway or archway etc that our brains compartmentalise stuff from the room we were in. Often if you walk back to where you were, and stand for a moment, the thing you want, comes back into your mind. Scientists are not sure of the reason why our brains work like this, just that they do.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post

It bugs me that, three or four hours after I put it down, I can remember without the slightest trouble that I'm up to page 167 of my book, about a third of the way down.

Well, that doesn't actually bug me so much. What really bugs me is that I can't remember for the life of me where I put it down.
    What is this three or four hours you speak of? Sometimes it only takes me three or four minutes.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post

What you describe is a classic example of the Burliman Butterbur Syndrome, which to paraphrase the author is:
    "One thought drives out the other, so to say..." [and a few mumbles as trundles off].
    It is apparently related to prancing ponies
    CC, Image editing OK.

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait till you get to my age. I have my name tattooed on the inside of my arm as a reminder
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikew09 View Post
    Wait till you get to my age. I have my name tattooed on the inside of my arm as a reminder
    All well and good, but do you remember to have a quick look at it whenever you meet someone for the first time! .... again!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    All well and good, but do you remember to have a quick look at it whenever you meet someone for the first time! .... again!
    I'll never forget!......................what is his name again?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikew09 View Post
    and looks at his left arm, instead of his right.. and has no idea!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing I hate about failing memory is ... putting the milk in the cupboard after making myself a cuppa!

It may not actually be a simple case of failing memory tho, as the cupboard is right above the tea making area .. which includes the sink, the cupboard itself (that houses the tea), and the kettle (on the bench) immediately below it.
    So I'm thinking it may be a combination of lethargy, inattentiveness, apathy AND Alzheimers.

Either way, whatever the cause .. what's annoying is making the next cuppa, and going to the fridge, only to realise that I have no milk .. so I rush to the shop to get more, get back to a make the cuppa .. only to find 7 bottles of milk still in the cupboard when I go to get the tea out!

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is extremely common with ADD/ADHD. It's called the "What did I come here for?" syndrome.

Short term memory dysfunction is common. The 3-10 seconds that it takes to sieve and process memories into long term storage is the common problem area.

ADD/ADHD is far more common than many think. Of the order of 20-25% of people have it, but not all have their lives significantly impacted by it.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps we'll forget about this thread*

* What thread?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would not want to live in our house I have to remember for both of us..
    Hubby does not seem to have any short term memory, and it's bad.

Though when I ask him who is singing that song on the radio from the 50's or 60's he always has the correct answer
    Not only that he tells me who sang the original song and everything else about it

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    Though when I ask him who is singing that song on the radio from the 50's or 60's he always has the correct answer
    I remember my mum was like that.
    She'd forget stuff the moment she mentioned it, and repeat herself multiple times on the same topic. Yet she'd remember incredible detail on things that happened nearly 70 years ago.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)