Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Imagenomic price gouging?

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagenomic price gouging?

What are your thoughts on the way Imagenomic structure their pricing? Had a look at they charge $199 for the portraiture product...okay, bit expensive but maybe justifiable but wait...if you want to use it for both Photoshop and Lightroom, you have to pay extra? For $299 you get both, a discount on having to buy it separately for $199 each. Does anyone find this a little insulting? The cost of developing a plug in isn't exactly redeveloping the product, so charging an extra $100 for plugin support for an extra product seems a little crazy. Most vendors give you all the plugins as part of the suite.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you compare prices for it/the combo elsewhere?
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Can you compare prices for it/the combo elsewhere?
    Do you mean with other products?

As an example, Portrait Pro studio comes with all the plugins included (lightroom, photoshop and aperture) and all the versions come with all the plugins included.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I meant from other providers, but that too.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Well, I meant from other providers ...
    I'd be trialling plugins from other vendors too, at that sort of pricing.
    Of course this doesn't take into account if this Imagenomic does something that the others don't do tho.

Have you tried the old Nik plugins? They're all free now.
    The other software I was checking out recently is Topaz's software.
    I dunno much about plugins and what people want from them(I don't use them myself), but you can trial Topaz's plugins for free for 30 days or so. I think they have one called Clean for portrait related editing.

Their system of software is a little different to what I remember of plugins of old.
    You can freely download and use their Studio software and it has a host of effects in itself, but they're quite basic in how you can tweak settings.
    The 'pay for' plugins tho are quite detailed in what and how you can adjust stuff.

Pricing seems a lot more reasonable too .. something like $30-80(ish)USD a piece and once you have it I'm pretty sure it works on all your compatible software .. so no having to buy it for each program you want to use it with.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    I'd be trialling plugins from other vendors too, at that sort of pricing.
    Of course this doesn't take into account if this Imagenomic does something that the others don't do tho.

Have you tried the old Nik plugins? They're all free now.
    The other software I was checking out recently is Topaz's software.
    I dunno much about plugins and what people want from them(I don't use them myself), but you can trial Topaz's plugins for free for 30 days or so. I think they have one called Clean for portrait related editing.

Their system of software is a little different to what I remember of plugins of old.
    You can freely download and use their Studio software and it has a host of effects in itself, but they're quite basic in how you can tweak settings.
    The 'pay for' plugins tho are quite detailed in what and how you can adjust stuff.

Pricing seems a lot more reasonable too .. something like $30-80(ish)USD a piece and once you have it I'm pretty sure it works on all your compatible software .. so no having to buy it for each program you want to use it with.
    If you have a look at the product, it's quite specific. I've been using portrait pro but I definitely won't be switching to Portraiture for that price.

It essentially does facial enhancements for portraits. I.e. eye sharpening, skin clean up, blemish removal etc.

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, I just had a look on the website and that's right. I have to agree, most other products I have bought to date includes the plug-ins. Portrait pro which I use now and then but not so often now as I tend to do most in PS CC these days, Topaz suite, not all are stand-a-lone capable but all have plug-in and now with Topaz studio include the plug-in. Aurora HDR (yep). I do remember one of my purchases did require extra but it was like an extra $30 to include LR and PS plu-ins. I have to agree with your point of view.
    You can buy Alien Skin's Exposure 3 for a bit less and for a tad more Capture One which is maybe among the best on the market specific to Pro Portrait software.

I do see it used now and then but as for money for value I cannot comment - however, if you want both plugs it is a purchase of almost $400 and I think that is over the top.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite