User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7

Thread: ND filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ND filters

I bought a set of ND filters/ Is it normal for them to produce "milky" images?

Fade compensation PP appears to remove it.
    D5500 18-55 & 55-300mm, Intervalometre/remote, Cokin filters I never use and a pocket Fuji camera 14Mp with 3x optical & my Samsung Galaxy S5

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No. Generally not. When you look through them just held up, do they just appear smokey coloured, or do they also appear smokey (hazy)? Looking through them they should just appear to darken the scene, sort of like looking through sunglasses, but the scene should not be blurry etc?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deathrox View Post
    I bought a set of ND filters/ Is it normal for them to produce "milky" images?

Fade compensation PP appears to remove it.
    DR, can you define "milky" and what does the second line mean? I don't understand it. What is fade compensation?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plays With Light View Post
    DR, can you define "milky" and what does the second line mean? I don't understand it. What is fade compensation?
    I'll try and post a before and after.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry fade correction.

1st one with 8+4+2 ND filters no PP.

2nd one. Exact same image with "Fade correction" @ maximum.

It wasn't windy enough to get the effect I wanted. But I'm not sure if these are propper ND filters or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    No. Generally not. When you look through them just held up, do they just appear smokey coloured, or do they also appear smokey (hazy)? Looking through them they should just appear to darken the scene, sort of like looking through sunglasses, but the scene should not be blurry etc?
    I've posted a without and with PP.
    What is your opinion?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks to me like you do not have NEUTRAL density filters. They should not make the scene look brown. All they should do is lower the light hitting the lens/sensor, with no tint to the resultant photo.

What brand are these ND filters?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll try and post a before and after.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry fade correction.

1st one with 8+4+2 ND filters no PP.

http://www.henrywho.xyz/temp/DSC_4500P.jpg

2nd one. Exact same image with "Fade correction" @ maximum.

http://www.henrywho.xyz/temp/DSC_4500Pp.jpg

It wasn't windy enough to get the effect I wanted. But I'm not sure if these are propper ND filters or not.
    Okay, fade correction is a tool in Paint Shop pro. Gotcha now.

You have unfortunately bought cheap, poor grade ND filters. They are probably made of resin and not optical grade glass. Most of them usually cast colours, browns/oranges, magentas and blues of some sort. Good quality optical glass ND filters (Format-Hitech for example) will not give you colour casts at all. But, be prepared to pay for them! Like anything photographic with glass attached, it's a matter of paying for what you get.

I used to have a Lee 10 stop ND filter and it drove me mad with its blue colour cast, I could only use it by making all my images black and white to cover it up. Now, I use the Format-Hitech Firecrest filters.

With ND filters, you need around 16 stops to get a shot that keeps the shutter open for 4.5 to 5 minutes, if you want some serious cloud blurs. For the ocean water to turn milky, you need a 10 stopper as a minimum. For a waterfall, you don't even need an ND filter, just play with your shutter speed and aperture to get anywhere from 1/20 to half a second shots, depending on how milky you like the water to be and the flow rate of the water, any longer than that and you're entering the world of the surreal, but some folks love that stuff.
    Last edited by Plays With Light; 10-10-2017 at 9:29am.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would using the three filters at once enhance the muddy, brown effect too?

Is it as obvious, Deathrox, when you just use - for example - the single ND8 filter?

Unfortunately budget restrictions have always left me with low quality ND filters too, and 90% of them have only been used once. Always due to colour cast.

I’ve recently resurrected a ND8 filter, but it gives a pretty strong red cast which is near impossible to manage.

The one exception seems to be my recently acquired ND100 filter, which doesn’t seem to offer too much colour cast.

Alex’s idea is good, though. If the colour is rubbish, stock up on images for your black and white portfolio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can say from experience grad filters (ND filters) should not have any impact on IQ apart from allowing to control the light intensity over the frame as already mentioned. Sometime ago before I moved to portrait photos I used them a lot and never once had IQ issues. I cannot remember the brand but were a midrange brand at reasonable cost and as stated, no IQ issues. Having said that, long ago I bought a flea bay CP filter and UV filter for my lens and had not end of IQ issues. My images were soft and focus sometimes missed target and being a newbie, had no idea until a guy at a camera shop suggested it may be the cheap filters - he was right.

The other thing to be aware of is there is a process where some plastic filter cases bleed a chemical from the case that when in a concealed container adheres to the filter coating - I actually had this happen with a CP filter and the effect is very much like what you are describing. If this is the case and they have sat on the shelf long enough its a possibility. More likely just low grads filters though as suggested.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Looks to me like you do not have NEUTRAL density filters. They should not make the scene look brown. All they should do is lower the light hitting the lens/sensor, with no tint to the resultant photo.

What brand are these ND filters?
    They are supposed to be Cokin but I feel they may be a cheap rip off. After PP there is not colout cast, all I'm doing is running the built-in Fade-correction. The scene is quite brown, I have a picture with no filters. They don't look to dissimilar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are supposed to be Cokin but I feel they may be a cheap rip off. After PP there is not colout cast, all I'm doing is running the built-in Fade-correction. The scene is quite brown, I have a picture with no filters. They don't look to dissimilar.
    Unfortunately, the Cokin filters are made of resin, not optical grade glass.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thought...
    Make sure you cover the viewfinder eyepiece completely when you make long exposures. light might be leaking in and altering the exposure and contrast.

... It's amazing what you learn from experience...

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dacar View Post
    Another thought...
    Make sure you cover the viewfinder eyepiece completely when you make long exposures. light might be leaking in and altering the exposure and contrast.

... It's amazing what you learn from experience...
    I'll see if this makes a difference.
    Thanks.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    eyepiece not being covered will sometimes result in lens flare and light leak, but rarely would it be this brown colour. Another thought, you have not set some custom white balance in camera and forgotten it was set?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally speaking ND filters and GND filters are something where it's good to try deciding if its a path you want to head down
    The cheap stuff unfortunately has a lot of the issues listed above including what I think happened to your image
    There are plenty of brands that are truly neutral and don't give colour cast nor affect optical quality of the image adversely but they are usually quite dear (about 200 a filter)
    I wrote a guide for Australian Photography magazine here which you may (or may not) find useful ;

http://www.australianphotography.com...what-nd-filter
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export