User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: Would using the canon 1.4x extender effectively allow my 17mmTS-E behave like the 24mmTS-E?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would using the canon 1.4x extender effectively allow my 17mmTS-E behave like the 24mmTS-E?

would it effectively turn my 17mm Tilt Shift into the 24mm - i know one is f/3.5 and the other f/4 but for all intents and purposes would this work?

Cheers
    Luke.

5DMkII | Canon EF 24-70mm ƒ/2.8L II USM | Canon EF 50mm ƒ/1.4 USM| Canon TS-E 17mm ƒ/4L Tilt Shift
    CamRanger | Benro C357-n6 Manfrotto w/ 410 Junior Geared Head | Billingham Hadley Pro

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just going from memory here, but I understand that the Canon EF x1.4 and EF x2 Extenders only work with the family “L” lenses? Not too sure if it’s a select few “L” lenses or the whole range?

Cheers

Dennis

EDIT: Just to clarify, I am talking about the Optical Extenders that have glass elements, not the Extension Tubes that are basically empty tubes, which can be used with the TS-E lenses.
    Last edited by nardes; 09-10-2017 at 6:19pm.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe it won't. On Canon's website a while back now, I read something about them only working on lenses with a minimum focal length of 135mm, or so. I know I also can't use extension tubes on my 24mm tilt-shift, I've tried, and nothing comes into focus at any distance from the lens.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a screen capture from a Canon EF Lens Book I downloaded a few years ago, so I'm not sure if it is still valid?

Cheers

Dennis
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know Sorry, but I honestly wouldn't have a clue.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nardes View Post
    Here is a screen capture from a Canon EF Lens Book I downloaded a few years ago, so I'm not sure if it is still valid?

Cheers

Dennis
    That is really bizarre, Dennis, because I can't get my Samyang tilt-shift to focus on anything with any of my extension tubes! I wonder what's different that allows the Canon's to work?
    Last edited by Plays With Light; 09-10-2017 at 10:05pm.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't that depend on where the extension tube shifts the maximum focus distance? the shorter the focal length, the closer to the sensor it makes the max focus distance, and you get to a point where the maximum focus distance is closer than the front element at which point you can't get close enough to focus? Speaking from my limited understanding of how extension tubes work...
    John Blackburn

"Life is like a camera! Focus on what is important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out take another shot."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tandeejay View Post
    Doesn't that depend on where the extension tube shifts the maximum focus distance? the shorter the focal length, the closer to the sensor it makes the max focus distance, and you get to a point where the maximum focus distance is closer than the front element at which point you can't get close enough to focus? Speaking from my limited understanding of how extension tubes work...
    That makes sense, John. Thanks for the clarification and explanation.

According to Keith from Northlight Images:
    1.jpeg

I'm sorta disappointed that I can't get them to work with my Samyang 24mm tilt-shift.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at that chart, the long distance compresses a lot faster than the short distance... so maybe the issue is not that it gets closer than the front of the lens, but that when the long distance meets/crosses the short distance, the physics no longer works?

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I presume you want the answer to your question, which refers to the 1.4x extender and not the extension tubes. It is - yes, you can. With some loss of quality. Try a search on canon 17mm ts-e with 1.4xextender and you will get some more info