User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: best wireless remote for Nikon D5500 please?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

best wireless remote for Nikon D5500 please?

Any suggestions please?

Main use is for:

1) long exposure/eliminate camera shake
    2) Ideally good wireless range for selfie type photos (that I set up but can run and pose in.)

this seems the best buy at the moment:

https://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.co...-controls.html

or this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ontroller.html

I know, I hate the selfie type shots but my Instagram account photos of me seem to do much better than my pure photography photos. Although I love this photo that I took yesterday (even if the instagram world did not):

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZ3eLOCHWu9/

Incidentally, bonus points on that photo. Through my eyes, the sun was red. One of the most amazing sunsets that I have ever witnessed. But all my photos show the sun as yellow. Why is that please?

Thank you
    Last edited by Ilovebokeh; 06-10-2017 at 11:05pm.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be inclined to try the built in wifi first.
    I'm not one to shy away from a good wireless remote too, mind you.

I haven't yet tried it myself, may try it when I get home from work later today .. but I think you need the app from Nikon and that app has a remote shutter release.
    Thing to be mindful of is that Wifi on camera(as on phone!!) does chew through batteries, and why a dedicated remote can be a good idea
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I hope that after 12 threads and 52 posts we can soon start to see you giving some advice, critique etc to other members. Whilst it is great you are asking questions and even better that members are giving you good answers and support, a forum is a place to interact, help each other. So please start giving some thought to providing some critique etc, to those that have helped you. Because sometime soon, everyone is going to start getting tired of helping you, when you do not give something back to them, and you will start to see your threads and posts going un-answered.
    Last edited by ricktas; 07-10-2017 at 8:21am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    I hope that after 12 threads and 52 posts we can soon start to see you giving some advice, critique etc to other members. Whilst it is great you are asking questions and even better that members are giving you good answers and support, a forum is a place to interact, help each other. So please start giving some thought to providing some critique etc, to those that have helped you. Because sometime soon, everyone is going to start getting tired of helping you, when you do not give something back to them, and you will start to see your threads and posts going un-answered.

Way to discourage me.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilovebokeh View Post
    Way to discourage me.
    How could it possibly be - such valid advice fairly given?
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilovebokeh View Post
    Way to discourage me.
    How can I discourage you from something you have not done once?
    Last edited by ricktas; 07-10-2017 at 2:37pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back to the wireless remote...you can buy cheap generic IR remotes on eBay for $5 delivered. The one I bought 5 years ago is still going fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Andrew

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For value for money, check out the Yongnuo range. I have four purchased from eBay and they are serving me well. The later models are better all round than the early ones. However, Yongnuo support for advanced Nikon functions is not quite as good as its support for Canon.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update in the Wifi capability + using Nikon's Wireless Mobile Utility app .. not only is WMU generally useless(on the whole), it's probably the worst value for money product in the history of mankind!!(I kid you not).
    And that's taking into account the fact that WMU is free!

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Update in the Wifi capability + using Nikon's Wireless Mobile Utility app ... And that's taking into account the fact that WMU is free!
    That's rather vicious. Seems to work OK for me and the price is right.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve just bought the same camera ill
    be trying the app first

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sikxt View Post
    I’ve just bought the same camera ill
    be trying the app first
    I use the D5500 as my "carry-around" camera With the AFP 18-55DX kit lens, it's acceptably small to be chucked into a small sling bag and brought around everywhere.
    The infra-red remote, ML-L3 (or any similar copycat ones on eBay, etc) works really well especially in the evenings. I use it for long exposures. Even works with bulb mode! The range is decent at comfortably more than 5 metres. So it's quite ideal for group photos.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Folks, don't 4-gert this is an old thread by a now non-member.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post
    That's rather vicious. Seems to work OK for me and the price is right.
    I may have missed this reply.

Peter says it works ok for him, but in his list he has the D7500 as a listed Nikon camera.

My reply is specific to Nikon's Wireless Mobile Utility, which doesn't support the D7500, so I'm thinking that he may be using Nikon's SnapBridge app .. ie. not the WMU app.

My use of Snapbridge is only for the 360 action cam .. and seemed ok, if a little hard to maintain connection.
    But my experience with WMU was quite bad. Kind'a connected to the D5500, then nothing .. ever again!
    Hence my 'useless' assessment of it.

For sure post is old, and maybe Nikon have updated WMU or something and it now works(in some way) .. haven't since tried it tho.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    I may have missed this reply.

Peter says it works ok for him, but in his list he has the D7500 as a listed Nikon camera.

My reply is specific to Nikon's Wireless Mobile Utility, which doesn't support the D7500, so I'm thinking that he may be using Nikon's SnapBridge app .. ie. not the WMU app.

My use of Snapbridge is only for the 360 action cam .. and seemed ok, if a little hard to maintain connection.
    But my experience with WMU was quite bad. Kind'a connected to the D5500, then nothing .. ever again!
    Hence my 'useless' assessment of it.

For sure post is old, and maybe Nikon have updated WMU or something and it now works(in some way) .. haven't since tried it tho.
    It the time of the original post I had the D5500 which I subsequently replaced with D7500 sometime after making that post. I think I used WMU on the 5500 and Snapbridge on the 7500. I found Snapbridge to be terrible and since resorted to using a free remotes via an old phone I have that includes a built in IR sender. Far more reliable. I would agree that Nikon don't have a clue on how to implement wireless.