User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Looking for suggestions for Tripod/head for 5D w/24-70 or 17mmTS-e (Arch/Landscapes)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for suggestions for Tripod/head for 5D w/24-70 or 17mmTS-e (Arch/Landscapes)

Looking for suggestions for a decent but not overly expensive tripod for a Canon 5D MkII using with either the 24-70 or 17mmTS-e for shooting architecture and landscapes...

been looking at this one, http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/172727344...MakeTrack=true would be interested to hear everyone's thoughts...?

Cheers
    Luke.

5DMkII | Canon EF 24-70mm ƒ/2.8L II USM | Canon EF 50mm ƒ/1.4 USM| Canon TS-E 17mm ƒ/4L Tilt Shift
    CamRanger | Benro C357-n6 Manfrotto w/ 410 Junior Geared Head | Billingham Hadley Pro

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So is that your price point(upper)?
    Can it extend a bit more?

Aluminium tripod can be so cumbersome once you've got used to a carbon pod.
    Carbon is awesome

Not a big fan of that type of head, they're slow and cumbersome to use even tho they look easy to setup one or another.
    A ballhead is much more 'user friendly' in that it allows movements in multiple planes at the same time which you then lock with a single action(as opposed to needing two locking actions to achieve the same thing with a three way head).
    I had one .. yuk! .. never again gave it to a friend of my sisters with no regrets in not seeing a cent back for it.

Not a big fan of Manfrotto tripods(for various reasons). Just a personal experience on my part.

Then again I'm now not a big fan of Gitzo tripod either as mine has caused me some(small) issues.
    Gitzo has been reliable in that it still works, my issue is that they cost a small fortune but still break or bits fall off just as any Chinese cheapie does!(ie. why pay 3x the price for the same product!).

If you follow any of my tripod related replies, you may notice I'm a big fan of Benro carbon legs. They are relatively cheap considering the materials used.

Realistically tho considering the magnification you've stated there with your lens choices(ie. low magnification) what you've linked too will be plenty enough.

But!(there's almost always a but).
    That 190 tripod is quite petite/small and not the sturdiest tripod out there. I find all(but one) tripod a little cumbersome to use.
    Once you've tried this other tripod, you'll find them all annoying in the way you have to release locks to allow legs to move up/down .. then tighten locks again.
    Now most people consider this part of the tripod deal, but it doesn't have to be.
    There's a little known, Manfroto tripod called the NeoTech or 458B.
    The only reason I haven't relegated it to the shed, or for use as a flash stand, is that it's the only Manfrotto that's too good for the scrapheap!
    Setup is as easy as pulling a leg .. and I'm not pulling your leg here, it's literally that simple to setup. You pull on each of the three legs and they extend.
    They're held using hydraulic pressure. To pack it up or level the support, you press a small button at the top of a leg, and you retract it.

I think all tripods should be made this way .. so much easier to set up and pack up. Only problem is they're not Carbon(maybe due to the hydraulics) .. so heavy(ish). The same size as a 190 series tho .. ie small.

Hope that makes sense.

anyhow for a standard type tripod, I'd recommend a Benro C3570T(3 section) or if you need it more compact when packed up the the C3580T(4 section).
    Personally I prefer the more rigid 3 section legs. Every leg/tube interface created instability!

Note they do have the slightly more expensive C4xxxT legs too, and they are larger, and thicker diameter legs .. so more stable/rigid.
    My suggestion tho, will set you back closer to $700-800 once you add a head into the mix.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the reply!

I used to have the Benro travel angel and it was good but i wasn't a fan of the screw style leg locks, i find the clips (as on the manfrotto) easier to use but i could live with it if it were the better option. With the subjects i intend to shoot now I need a good solid tripod. I've no real experience with using a tripod a lot, I barely used my old one, so i'm relying on the experience from around here to get a good understanding of where i should throw my money.

my budget really is about $400-$600.

with the Benro that you've listed which head would you recommend?

I looked up the 458B, and it looks good but i think out of my price range unless i could find a good second hand one...

Serial Truant....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with Arthur on the head, go for a ball head.

+1 for Benro gear, affordable and good quality.

I have a Benro Ball head on a Manfrotto 190 (CLB model). The Manfrotto 190 handles the 5DII no problems and is reasonably light. The leg locks are decent on that model as well, clamp tightly and are adjustable for tension. I'm no fan of twist lock legs.
    I wouldn't pay that sort of money for a 190 though, from memory mine cost a little over $200.

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Manfrotto Art 190, which I assume is equivalent to the one in your link. It's 26 years old this year and I'm just starting to find the leg locks not quite as secure as they once were.

With your lenses, and assuming the modern version is similar I would think it a decent solution at a reasonable price.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you were happy with Benro how about this one with flip lock legs?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BENRO-SYS...UAAOSwaopZktNw
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhand78 View Post

I looked up the 458B, and it looks good but i think out of my price range unless i could find a good second hand one...
    LOL! I've thought of selling mine due to a lack of use(I use the Gitzo more) but then if I sell it I know I'll miss it

I not for the hassles of carrying two tripods, I'd use it alongside the Gitzo, but it's really only a wide angle lens type tripod .. too flimsy(as in not rigid, not in a durability sense) for longer focal length lenses or macro.

With ballheads, my thinking is that bigger is better. We all obviously have size/weight/price constraints to consider, but if you have a set price to adhere too then whatever manufacturer you choose, just try to get the biggest ballhead you can afford in their range.

If you use that $600 upper limit as a more realistic guide, then I think a mid sized set of legs, with a larger than normal(ie. 45-55mm ball size) ballhead should be fine.

From memory that 17TSE is a large lens, and a bit front heavy. Maybe not as much as a 70-200/2.8, but that large front element makes it feel more front heavy than a regular 17mm lens otherwise would.
    At 17mm for architecture you're not really reliant on absolute stability/rigidity .. magnification isn't going to be an issue in terms of small vibration problems. This is an issue with 200-ish and longer focal lengths.
    So the rigidity of the legs don't have to be absolutely perfect. hang a bag on the centre hook to shift the weight of the setup lower and change the weight ratio of the camera/lens combo relative to the support system.

Better rigidity is had if the support system has more mass than the gear it's supporting

So with that in mind, you can get away with a mid sized tripod and if any issues arise in terms of vibration(eg. due to strong winds if outdoors), then the bag hanging routine helps massively to stabilise the setup.

BUT! the ballhead has to counter the weight of the lens, and that's hard to account for in other ways.
    That is if the lens is dragging the head downwards, you can't really do much about that like you can with the bag hanging trick for the legs!

There are workarounds for the sagging head issue, that involve multiple plates of different lengths and suchlike where you slide the camera/lens combo back a bit on the head to shift that weight rearwards.

So I'd say a mid sized tripod(circa $200-400) depending on the feature set you want and material used to make it .. but get a larger $200-400 ballhead.

The way I'd approach your specific situation would be to work out the ballhead first(ie. it's cost) and then use the balance of your budget to get the tripod up to a satisfactory quality level.

THIS ballhead stuck out like a sore thumb when I came across it on ebay while buying a couple of lenses a while ago.
    I can verify the seller as I bought two lenses from them and they came in a day and half(Syd to Melb). I can't verify the actual product, BUT!! .. its a direct ripoff of the RRS BH-55(which I have).
    if it works only half as good as the RRS is supposed too, then I think it comes across as a bargain.
    I think the No 1 pro for the BH-55 is the very low profile design. There is an issue that I have with it, but that's probably not going to be relevant for your usage(ie. wide angle situations).
    That LH-55 could be a solution. A bit close to the high end for your budget, but I reckon you could get a good tripod for 250-300 to match it too.

I'm thinking of getting one to compare to my RRS head .. just for a laugh!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    LOL! I've thought of selling mine due to a lack of use(I use the Gitzo more) but then if I sell it I know I'll miss it

I not for the hassles of carrying two tripods, I'd use it alongside the Gitzo, but it's really only a wide angle lens type tripod .. too flimsy(as in not rigid, not in a durability sense) for longer focal length lenses or macro.

With ballheads, my thinking is that bigger is better. We all obviously have size/weight/price constraints to consider, but if you have a set price to adhere too then whatever manufacturer you choose, just try to get the biggest ballhead you can afford in their range.

If you use that $600 upper limit as a more realistic guide, then I think a mid sized set of legs, with a larger than normal(ie. 45-55mm ball size) ballhead should be fine.

From memory that 17TSE is a large lens, and a bit front heavy. Maybe not as much as a 70-200/2.8, but that large front element makes it feel more front heavy than a regular 17mm lens otherwise would.
    At 17mm for architecture you're not really reliant on absolute stability/rigidity .. magnification isn't going to be an issue in terms of small vibration problems. This is an issue with 200-ish and longer focal lengths.
    So the rigidity of the legs don't have to be absolutely perfect. hang a bag on the centre hook to shift the weight of the setup lower and change the weight ratio of the camera/lens combo relative to the support system.

Better rigidity is had if the support system has more mass than the gear it's supporting

So with that in mind, you can get away with a mid sized tripod and if any issues arise in terms of vibration(eg. due to strong winds if outdoors), then the bag hanging routine helps massively to stabilise the setup.

BUT! the ballhead has to counter the weight of the lens, and that's hard to account for in other ways.
    That is if the lens is dragging the head downwards, you can't really do much about that like you can with the bag hanging trick for the legs!

There are workarounds for the sagging head issue, that involve multiple plates of different lengths and suchlike where you slide the camera/lens combo back a bit on the head to shift that weight rearwards.

So I'd say a mid sized tripod(circa $200-400) depending on the feature set you want and material used to make it .. but get a larger $200-400 ballhead.

The way I'd approach your specific situation would be to work out the ballhead first(ie. it's cost) and then use the balance of your budget to get the tripod up to a satisfactory quality level.

THIS ballhead stuck out like a sore thumb when I came across it on ebay while buying a couple of lenses a while ago.
    I can verify the seller as I bought two lenses from them and they came in a day and half(Syd to Melb). I can't verify the actual product, BUT!! .. its a direct ripoff of the RRS BH-55(which I have).
    if it works only half as good as the RRS is supposed too, then I think it comes across as a bargain.
    I think the No 1 pro for the BH-55 is the very low profile design. There is an issue that I have with it, but that's probably not going to be relevant for your usage(ie. wide angle situations).
    That LH-55 could be a solution. A bit close to the high end for your budget, but I reckon you could get a good tripod for 250-300 to match it too.

I'm thinking of getting one to compare to my RRS head .. just for a laugh!
    I'm actually thinking of getting the 40 of this range for when I don't want/need the RRS 55 (which I have ordered)....thanks Arthur for the link and info.
    Pentax K-1, K-3 and some lovely, mostly Pentax, mostly prime lenses - DFA 15-30, 24-70, and 100 Macro, FA 31, 43, and 77 Ltd, DA* 200 & 50-135, DA 12-24, 20-40 (ltd), 15, 21, 35 (Ltd) Macro, 40, 50, plus a couple of manuals from way back and a few others for good luck.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just an update - i ended up landing the benro c-357n6 (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...er_Tripod.html)

just on the hunt for a head and am thinking Benro B4 atm....

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhand78 View Post

just on the hunt for a head and am thinking Benro B4 atm....
    I reckon that may be a very good value for money product to go for.

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats. Benro are good. Very happy with mine

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first thing I looked at when updating my tripod when I bought my 5D3 was the specified weight rating of tripod and head. Why skimp on a tripod when you are expecting it to hold and protect from falling a 5D3 and L glass worth maybe 4K +.

Don't consider weight in view of what you buy. I am saying, dont go smaller just to be lighter. If weight is a concern, as others said, go carbon fiber. I also are not a fan of those heads, I had very similar and hated having to be swapping hands and finding knobs to turn etc. I went for weight rating ball head that doesn't slip etc (because I bought for weight rating) and admittedly it is a little larger than others it bares the weight well.

I expect there wont be a large following but I researched and bang for bucks ended up buying a Vanguard tripod of the heavier kind, cant remember the model. I have carried it in bag onto planes as carry on but it isnt as light as carbon by far. The tripod has been excellent, is very versatile and still working fine and has the standard head mount for the other brand heads. It was half the price of a manfoto. The only issue is the rubber grips on the two knobs have since fallen off but is no big deal unless your hands are really wet.

However, I am in this thread as I also are looking to upgrade and carbon fiber is next tripod (and new head), but what brand, model, head - this is still under investigation ;-)

Good luck with your purchase.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also looking for a new tripod. I've had a couple of Manfrotto 055XPROB's and I was pretty happy with them, but I'm looking around to see if there is anything else at a similar weight / max height / capacity, and similar price (or less if possible)!

Yup, the Vanguards do seem to be good value for money.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up getting a benro c357-n6 on gumtree, so far i'm really happy with it.