Thread: Melbourne to 12 Apostles

All lines lead to Home ...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Melbourne to 12 Apostles

Hi All,

We will be in Melbourne over the weekend and would like to visit the 12 Apostles. I just wanted to ask if there was anything along the way worth stopping for from our drive from Melbourne to the 12 Apostles?

Also I read that you can also walk down to the beach from the 12 Apostles, is this walk down easy? We will be travelling with 2 kids (aged 7 and 5).
    Regards,
    Phil

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anything worth stopping for?! How about all of it.

There would be plenty more knowledgable posters than I, especially those who live down there.

Not knowing what you like, the entire coastline, more or less, is beautiful and almost anywhere would be worth stopping if you have time, from about Torquay onwards.

And if you like waterfalls there's quite a few along the way, most notably on the Otway National Park.

It was four years ago since I was down there and I'm struggling to remember names of where we stopped in, but there is no shortage of places whatsoever. Just depends what you're looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to google maps and map yourself from Melbourne to the end of that piece of coast road then scroll in to the google earth view and you can see first hand what is along the road and what view there are. You will be surprised.

I have spent the last 6 months using this method for my 2yr round Aus trip when I retire and with this method you can view all manner of the areas with even remote areas included to a degree.

When I was looking at the coast road, I have planned three days around there staying at the Great Ocean Rd Tourist Parl as there is so much to see and photograph for a keen photograph.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Melbourne to 12 Apostles

Quote Originally Posted by mikew09 View Post
    Go to google maps and map yourself from Melbourne to the end of that piece of coast road then scroll in to the google earth view and you can see first hand what is along the road and what view there are. You will be surprised.

I have spent the last 6 months using this method for my 2yr round Aus trip when I retire and with this method you can view all manner of the areas with even remote areas included to a degree.

When I was looking at the coast road, I have planned three days around there staying at the Great Ocean Rd Tourist Parl as there is so much to see and photograph for a keen photograph.
    Yeah, that's a great way to do it. I remember when I used to get out for an annual road trip in a life before kids I'd leave the house with a pile of google map print outs an inch thick on the passenger seat, all equipped with notes I made in preparation.

But then I'm the type who can't drive past a remote road in a remote location without needing to know what's at the end of it so I'd drop in everywhere anyway.

I wouldn't change a thing and am happy with where I'm at now, but without doubt the thing I miss most about life before kids is my solo road trips with just my surfboard and my camera gear loaded up in the car. Good times.

But yeah, it's a good idea. Google maps, make sure it's in "earth" view and just zoom in all along the coastline and note what looks most appealing. Plenty to chose from.

Last edited by Geoff79; 28-09-2017 at 4:36pm.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, coastline from Torquay all the way across. Very slow road tho, so expect the kids to ask are we there yet!

if you stay on the freeway(bypass) when you get to Geelong, and head towards Torquay(watch for the signs) you get the whole Great Ocean Road experience.
    The GOR actually starts at about Anglesea further along the coast from Torquay tho. So something to consider.

I think other things to watch for would be dependent on what you and your kids are like and enjoy.
    Nice way down that way(for me) is the countryside out to Winchelsea, and down to Deans Marsh. From DM, you can do a round trip and check out Erskine Falls. Nice place lots of ferns give it a tropical feel. In the heat(unlikely this weekend) it does get very humid in there.

This takes you to Lorne where you can start your GOR experience.

Alternatively you can go via either of the quicker routes inland to Colac and via Apollo Bay(ish) area or directly inland to Camperdown and then down to Port Campbell.

if you take the Apollo Bay route, it's close to Hopetoun Falls(nice spot too). Lots of up/downhill steps as I remember(well my knee does). Well formed track to the falls tho.
    They both get you to that apostles/arch/(broken) london bridge area that everyone wants to visit.
    And then make your way back from there. Obviously we don't know you itinerary to know where how long do you plan to stay and where.

Other sightseeing points are the Cape Otway lighthouse, wayy out of the way either on the way out or back.
    This is near AB and PtC, and obviously on the coast itself. The GOR between AB and PtC bypasses the coast a fair bit too, and the drive is more through the Otways forest.

If you do any of the leg between Port Campbell and Camperdown, and you like cheesey stuff, the Timboon Cheesery is worth a visit(was when I visited about 10 years ago). My favourite blue cheese!
    Can't remember the actual location, but I saw the sign and headed on some easy gravel track to it.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

All lines lead to Home ...
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff79 View Post
    Anything worth stopping for?! How about all of it.

There would be plenty more knowledgable posters than I, especially those who live down there.

Not knowing what you like, the entire coastline, more or less, is beautiful and almost anywhere would be worth stopping if you have time, from about Torquay onwards.

And if you like waterfalls there's quite a few along the way, most notably on the Otway National Park.

It was four years ago since I was down there and I'm struggling to remember names of where we stopped in, but there is no shortage of places whatsoever. Just depends what you're looking for.

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the info!

Don't we all love waterfalls? Definitely will go through Otway Nat Park now! Silly me I only considered the inland route from Melbourne to 12 Apostles