Quote Originally Posted by Nick Cliff View Post
I was interested to see that Markins make an upgrade for the hubs for Gitzo series 2 tripods and or bases to fit so it would appear that the problems with the Gitzo tripods are not that unusual.
Yeah, I've emailed them asking about their TB300(or whatever it's called) for the 3xxx series(that I have).
From my understanding of the top plate, it's a more rigid alloy than whatever metal that Gitzo use, but more importantly it removes the centre column.
That's a bit of a weak point in that it allows vibes to resonate. You can remove the column on the gitzo and muck about and connect the ballhead without it but it's fiddly and tenous at best. But I've said elsewhere as well, the Gitzo uses a plastic dowel to stop the centre column rotating when you lock it down .. mine broke years ago, so when you tighten the column up, it spins, so you have to hold the column and then tighten it down so that it tightens up.

I've got no issues with the top plate on the Gitzo, it feels rigid and strong .. crinkle finish metal thing.
I don't like the material that Manfrotto use for their top plates. Too flexible for my liking.

@ Ilovebokeh .. I wouldn't place too much credence in Google reviews or whatever other reviews .. unless you know those folks doing the reviews.
I dealt with that photoshop mob and had no issues, no dramas .. good came, in good order. very well packed(too much packaging in fact). and basically next day.
I did get my two lenses via ebay too tho.

In fact I'm thinking I may just get that C4570T tripod just for the hell of it. I've wanted one for a while now(bigger is better theory) .. and I'll let 'ya know how they go!

But I may then have a relatively cheap Manfrotto tripod up for sale too