0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What to do when you drop your camera - Nikon d5500

So, my tripod collapsed, cost so far:

- replace filter $100
    - lens repair $250
    - plus time and stress

My Nikon d5500 is also behaving differently since * I hope it is ok though. It would have just been the shock with the lens taking the brunt of the force.

Since,

The information screen does not switch on/switches off sometimes. Eg. picture in link. Usually I switch from live view to the info screen to adjust aperture etc.

http://www.dummies.com/photography/c...r-nikon-d5500/

The other main difference I notice is that a dial is 'tighter'/grinds.

I took the camera to the store and they said it looked ok but I did not know about the issues above at the time.

The tripod manufacturer (promaster) and the store deny liability for my equipment.

- - - Updated - - -

ps. I paid AUD $300 for my tripod thinking it would last me a lifetime.

This one:

http://promaster.com/Product/3480

https://www.camerahouse.com.au/proma...5-tripod-black

I have asked the store for a refund/credit.

Any recommendations for a similar tripod - just reliable... (that easily fits my tamron g2 foot.) I want to protect this lens!

I use the tripod for most shots - so need quick reliable setup and lightweight to carry for hiking etc.

Thank you
    Last edited by Ilovebokeh; 25-09-2017 at 11:42am.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilovebokeh View Post
    So, my tripod collapsed, cost so far"

- replace filter
    - lens repair

My Nikon d5500 is also behaving differently since * I hope it is ok though. It would have just been the shock with the lens taking the brunt of the force.

Since,

The information screen does not switch on/switches off sometimes. Eg. picture in link. Usually I switch from live view to the info screen to adjust aperture etc.

http://www.dummies.com/photography/c...r-nikon-d5500/

The other main difference I notice is that a dial is 'tighter'/grinds.

I took the camera to the store and they said it looked ok but I did not know about the issues above at the time.

The tripod manufacturer (promaster) and the store deny liability for my equipment.

- - - Updated - - -

ps. I paid AUD $300 for my tripod thinking it would last me a lifetime.

This one:

http://promaster.com/Product/3480

https://www.camerahouse.com.au/proma...5-tripod-black

I have asked the store for a refund/credit.

Any recommendations for a similar tripod - just reliable... (that easily fits my tamron g2 foot.) I want to protect this lens!

Thank you
    Unfortunately when electronic gear hits the deck there is usually some repercussion. If you can work around the problems that is probably the best scenario because a repair is possibly going to be in the vicinity of $300-400.

Mate, I can't stress this enough. Replace that bloody awful tripod before your new 70-200 hits the deck too.

I gave you a link to a Manfrotto tripod that is about 10 steps up the ladder from the one you have. A new tripod must be the top priority for you.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could send it to a reputable camera repairer (sing out if you want to find one) but it will cost $60 or so for an inspection fee, and the repair might be quite difficult - or might not. Only one way to find out.

As for that tripod of yours, I can replace it with a vastly superior one if you like, completely free of charge. Genuine offer, but you will have to provide the required parts. (Three broom handles, a handful of nails and some sticky tape.)
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    Unfortunately when electronic gear hits the deck there is usually some repercussion. If you can work around the problems that is probably the best scenario because a repair is possibly going to be in the vicinity of $300-400.

Mate, I can't stress this enough. Replace that bloody awful tripod before your new 70-200 hits the deck too.

I gave you a link to a Manfrotto tripod that is about 10 steps up the ladder from the one you have. A new tripod must be the top priority for you.
    Thank you.

Yes, tripod replacement is a priority.

I am searching for that other link that you posted. I have not heard from the camera store though, so unsure what they will do - i.e will I have enough money.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post

Found the link: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Manfrotto...cAAOSwXYtYzc-x

Just do not know how to replace the head/whether that tripod is as portable as the promaster.

plus, I do not use Ebay. Shame the seller does not post their email address.
    Last edited by Ilovebokeh; 25-09-2017 at 12:33pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the cost isn't prohibitive, I'd still get the camera checked out properly even if all the electronics appear to work. One of the things I'd be wanting to check is that the mount alignment hasn't been affected.
    The last thing you want is poor performance from all your lenses because the mount is misaligned to the sensor.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just do not know how to replace the head/whether that tripod is as portable as the promaster.
    The head just screws off.

If you google the model of the tripod like I just did you will see that B&H have it for $US114.00, which will cost under $AU200.00 delivered to WA.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DWI sell Manfrotto, apparently a modest range and I can't speak for the prices. They are brilliant for cameras and lenses but my impression is that they are not so great for accessoories. DYOR. In browsing their site just now I stumbled across the following delightful typo:

The BeFree Color series has improved on previous models with a few new additions worth nothing, the first of ....

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    DWI sell Manfrotto, apparently a modest range and I can't speak for the prices. They are brilliant for cameras and lenses but my impression is that they are not so great for accessoories. DYOR. In browsing their site just now I stumbled across the following delightful typo:

Reminded of this classic I came across http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...Risque-content

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Burst into tears like a little kid
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use the tripod for most shots - so need quick reliable setup and lightweight to carry for hiking etc.

Thank you
    Benro C3570T : $435

Leofoto NB-46 : $195

For the total sum of $630, I think it's very good value for money.
    Of course you can spend nearly $1K and get maybe 10% better support, but I doubt you'll get that much more out of that extra cost.
    If it's mainly for non macro photography I reckon you'll like a setup like the two items above will see you supported for ever and a day.

If you could spare another $100 on top of that price, then an alternate ball head I'd recommend would be THIS one @ $283

I've recently dealt with this ebay store, but this is not an ad for them.
    I just got two new lenses, and they're service was very quick. I ordered late Wed, and I had them on my camera mid Friday morning. That has been my only dealings with them.

Don't be tempted to save money by going aluminium. The additional weight over a carbon tripod is tiring over the long haul(hiking/walking/etc).
    The low mass, and hence inertia, of a carbon tripod makes them good hiking sticks.
    That's how I use mine. One leg extended column extended just enough to get a good grip of it. With the camera and a 'landscape' lens attached to the head, it acts a a good counterweight for the extended leg.
    I have a busted knee, and makes it super dupe hard for me to ascend any rough terrain, and without that setup above, I wouldn't!
    If I have the longer lens mounted to the camera(eg. 70-200/2.8 or 150-600mm) I'll have one set of the two leg sections extended and then carry the whole tripod/camera/lens setup over my shoulder as long as the ground is fairly even.
    Just be sure when you mount the lens to the head, it's only ever by the lens tripod foot and not by the body with the lens hanging off at the front. That's a sure way to destroy a D5500 in no time!

EDIT: I missed the non ebay usage comment.
    That photoshop studio(or whatever they're called) mob also have their own website you can purchase from .. away from ebay.
    Last edited by arthurking83; 25-09-2017 at 7:19pm.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions on the tripod, so:

@cage manfrotto looked good, but I will go for carbon

@ arthurking83 love the suggestions, but $630 seems excessive (and that store has poor google reviews.) I will look for those products though.

Thank you to you both. Any more suggestions?

Other options:
    1. https://www.amazon.com/Z818C-Tripods...1%2C7801726011

Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ps. shop recommended this but I prefer arthurking83's carbon suggestion
    https://www.leedervillecameras.com.a...h-50-ball-head

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Ilovebokeh;1427510].... love the suggestions, but $630 seems excessive (and that store has poor google reviews.) I will look for those products though.

Other options ..... QUOTE]

$630 'seems' excessive, but pales into normality if you consider I paid over $1500 for my gitzo+RRS ballhead and still ain't happy wirh either!

Gitzo broke a part(non essential) that's annoying when(if) I use the centre column. It's not supposed to rotate, but the broken part now allows it too .. so it's only annoying not vital to the operation and ability of the tripod.
    In my mind .. the prices of Gitzo are excessive!(I'll never again consider or recommend Gitzo unless they come it at Benro prices )

I've now seen and used 3 Benro carbon tripods, and they have one small(almost vital) change to the Gitzo lens stop adjuster. I'm always pinching my fingers in the top leg angle stop with my Gitzo due to the less than ideal design.
    The Benro version is much better designed.

Those ballheads I've referred too both look quite good in their designs. I'm only guessing that they'll do a good job for you .. considering the price.

My only (recollection) of having used a Benro ballhead, was a smallish 30-ish mm ball as per the usual tall/upright design type.
    All I remember was watching in amazement that this little benro ballhead held the camera and lens with the combo attached to the ballhead only via the camera plate.
    What amazed me tho was that the lens was the very heavy 80-200/2.8 lens that I had at the time .. camera was an old D80.

One thing you really try hard to avoid it mounting a heavy lens like an 80-200/2.8 to a camera and having the camera mounted on the ballhead. The more secure way to attach the combo is always via the lens' tripod collar.
    Doing it the wrong way can very easily bend the camera's lens mounting setup .. which then causes issues for all lenses in the future.

You now have the 70-200/2.8 Tammy so you know for yourself how front heavy such a lens is, and imaging that weight hanging from a camera.
    Under no circumstances do you want to attach the 70-200 to the D5500 and then attach the D5500 to a tripod!
    I have the D5500 now and can see how plasticky it is, and I'd estimate that all that weight hanging off the front of the little D5500 will surely bend the plastics holding the lens mount to the body.

Anyhow, this little Benro ballhead, smaller in size to my Manfrotto ballhead at that time, held the very front heavy combo without dropping the framing we initially set.
    My Manffrotto ballhead at that time(which I still have too) could never hold such a combo without dropping to start with(ie. losing the initial framing) and then continue to droop over time.

You mentioned that you hoped that the tripod you initially got would "last a lifetime", but paid $300 or so for it.
    I feel quite confident that those two items I linked too should last you an actual lifetime, by comparison.

** The only reason that they may not last this "lifetime", is if you feel that they aren't up to the task of supporting either a longer lens(ie. 600mm type) or a lot more magnification(ie. 1:1 or more macro lens).
    This is the point I've now reached .. my Gitzo and RRS ballhead aren't up to the task of easy macro work.

BTW: A good read on how to save money on tripod comes from our great mate(ie. Nikon's users great mate) Thom Hogan(ps. whatever you do don't read a chap named Ken Rockwell unless you feel in the mood for some humour! )
    Anyhow, Thom has a good article on how to save money on a tripod by buying a more expensive version to begin with!
    i.e. don't get the cheap one and have to repurchase the same type of device all over again in the short term future, because the cheaper one failed you!

I know carbon Manfrottos are expensive, and I also know that Benro tripods are better for less money spent.
    If you're hiking, you seriously want a carbon pod .. at half the weight of aluminium legs. And it's not just the carrying of that extra weight is tiring .. it's the additional momentum that this extra weight forces on you too.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been using a Benro for about 10 years now. Recommend them with flip lock legs.
    They use ARCA plates and they are available in different sizes on eBay. I have a small one on the camera body and a 100mm one on my 150-600.
    http://www.photoequipmentstore.com.a...iber-gc158fb1/
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two Manfrotto tripods. One is really old - have to tighten the screws to secure! The next one has clasps. Both heavy - absolutely back of the car jobs and forget hiking. But in 20 year neither has fallen down even with medium format bricks hanging sideways in portrait position. Subjects ask whether I'm afraid my camera will fall off! Have a couple of freebie tripods - I use those occasionally for an off camera flash - not much else. Go with the flow as above - or check with what professionals use day in day out - likely there is a reason they chose certain manufacturers and models. With cameras and lenses costing thousands skimping on a tripod and watching the whole smash on concrete is false economy.
    Berni

""The most important piece of camera equipment you will ever own sits between your ears...."

Ausphotography Regular Nick Cliff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am very happy with Manfroto carbon fiber tripods 055 CXPRO3 and 4 leg designs, which can some times be sourced second hand at reasonable prices of around $330 and the Acratech ballhead for macro photography again purchased second hand has really impressed me.
    The 3LT carbon fiber 3 section tripods and heads are good more for hiking or travel being more compact and not so suited for macro type photography, again great for this purpose though.
    The American's Black Friday sales may be worth waiting for if you want to purchase online however if you have warranty issues this may not be so good of course, personally I prefer to shop locally,

cheers Nick

Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok,

what about:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...bon_fiber.html

and

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...tilt_head.html

$430 delivered and BH seem reputable.

Any other better suggestions around the $500 mark, or am I better spending more or less. I.e where is the sweet spot for best value?

thank you

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$430 delivered and BH seem reputable.

So the legs + head come in at $USD370 alone. which equates to about $AUD470.
    If that additional $60 you've claimed is USD60 for shipping, then it'll push that price into the $550 AU range.

That tripod(by specs, as I've never seen one in person) is a bit small .. in fact very small.
    leg tube diameter is only 25mm .. to carry and stabilise a 70-200/2.8 I think a wee bit small!

The handy thing about such a small tripod is simply the ability to pack it into your luggage easily for plane travel .. not as much for hiking type travel.

The Carbon tripod I recommended, the C3570T is much larger(in diameter .. same as my Gitzo 3xxx series) and would be the minimum size tripod I'd use for a large lens like a 70-200/2.8.

Of course everyone is different and has different prioritites, but the less than 0.5kg saved for the legs is trivial for hiking.
    I don't do air travel, so can't offer any advice on how important the size and weight saving would be.
    But for general hiking, I can tell 'ya it's not going to be important.

ps. I only do up to 5hr round trip type hiking, not the long distance endurance type hiking too tho.

Also: I'm 'not a big fan' of those flip lock legs. My old Manfrotto 055 tripod has them .. why I stopped using it, as well as it's just not stable(ie. rigid).
    The Gitzo style twist lock legs system(Benro use it on that C3570T model too) is a much better system(personal opinion there tho!)

If you really want a smaller very travel-ish sized set of legs tho(which I recommend against!) ...
    THIS would be an almost direct comparison, but a major price difference!
    The difference being the ballhead.

ps. another thing I don't like are those 3 way heads.

pps. You may notice there are things that I do and don't like!

ppps. Have you read Thom Hogans tripod suggestions?
    The relevant bit here is the section on expenditure section.

How do I know this article is accurate? .. making the same mistakes.
    After more than 10 years, I'm still searching for a tripod that is good at everything!

Any other better suggestions around the $500 mark, or am I better spending more or less. I.e where is the sweet spot for best value?

thank you
    I'm fairly confident that the three items I previously linked too in my earlier reply will do you for at least 10 years.
    The caveat there tho is that you do what you currently do, and don't get into an area of photography that demands more from the support system.
    Note tho, that there are ways around asking more from the support system .. ie hoping for it to be more rigid and not magnify vibrations and stuf like that.
    But then to achieve that you then need a new camera body that offers mirror lockup(D5500 doesn't as far as I can tell).

But that C3570T + either of those two balheads will do 'ya for a long time .. so my recommendation is to spend that bit more(close to $800) and not to make the same mistakes I made with my first 3 tripods (I'm on my 4th! )

#1 was given away.. three way head was attrocious(which started my dislike for Manfrotto products)
    #2 I still have and didn't learn my don't buy Manfrotto products
    #3 still Manfrotto, but it's my like for this system(the easy peasy way to set up a neoTech) .. so 'I knew what I was doing' with that purchase .. and no one else did that type of system.
    #4 Gitzo is also over priced gear! You'll get folks that say it's great and what not, but mine broke .. just as any cheapie Chinese gear would. Once again it's just about the name. Note tho that I didn't say it's a bad product. It's just not worth the additional expense.

That is, had I bought a Benro like I should have and it broke in the same way as my Gitzo has, I would be less worried about it and just put it down to heavy useage.
    But that Benro would have cost me 1/3rd the price of the supposedly top quality Gitzo.

Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    So the legs + head come in at $USD370 alone. which equates to about $AUD470.
    If that additional $60 you've claimed is USD60 for shipping, then it'll push that price into the $550 AU range.

That tripod(by specs, as I've never seen one in person) is a bit small .. in fact very small.
    leg tube diameter is only 25mm .. to carry and stabilise a 70-200/2.8 I think a wee bit small!

The handy thing about such a small tripod is simply the ability to pack it into your luggage easily for plane travel .. not as much for hiking type travel.

The Carbon tripod I recommended, the C3570T is much larger(in diameter .. same as my Gitzo 3xxx series) and would be the minimum size tripod I'd use for a large lens like a 70-200/2.8.

Of course everyone is different and has different prioritites, but the less than 0.5kg saved for the legs is trivial for hiking.
    I don't do air travel, so can't offer any advice on how important the size and weight saving would be.
    But for general hiking, I can tell 'ya it's not going to be important.

ps. I only do up to 5hr round trip type hiking, not the long distance endurance type hiking too tho.

Also: I'm 'not a big fan' of those flip lock legs. My old Manfrotto 055 tripod has them .. why I stopped using it, as well as it's just not stable(ie. rigid).
    The Gitzo style twist lock legs system(Benro use it on that C3570T model too) is a much better system(personal opinion there tho!)

If you really want a smaller very travel-ish sized set of legs tho(which I recommend against!) ...
    THIS would be an almost direct comparison, but a major price difference!
    The difference being the ballhead.

ps. another thing I don't like are those 3 way heads.

pps. You may notice there are things that I do and don't like!

ppps. Have you read Thom Hogans tripod suggestions?
    The relevant bit here is the section on expenditure section.

How do I know this article is accurate? .. making the same mistakes.
    After more than 10 years, I'm still searching for a tripod that is good at everything!

I'm fairly confident that the three items I previously linked too in my earlier reply will do you for at least 10 years.
    The caveat there tho is that you do what you currently do, and don't get into an area of photography that demands more from the support system.
    Note tho, that there are ways around asking more from the support system .. ie hoping for it to be more rigid and not magnify vibrations and stuf like that.
    But then to achieve that you then need a new camera body that offers mirror lockup(D5500 doesn't as far as I can tell).

But that C3570T + either of those two balheads will do 'ya for a long time .. so my recommendation is to spend that bit more(close to $800) and not to make the same mistakes I made with my first 3 tripods (I'm on my 4th! )

#1 was given away.. three way head was attrocious(which started my dislike for Manfrotto products)
    #2 I still have and didn't learn my don't buy Manfrotto products
    #3 still Manfrotto, but it's my like for this system(the easy peasy way to set up a neoTech) .. so 'I knew what I was doing' with that purchase .. and no one else did that type of system.
    #4 Gitzo is also over priced gear! You'll get folks that say it's great and what not, but mine broke .. just as any cheapie Chinese gear would. Once again it's just about the name. Note tho that I didn't say it's a bad product. It's just not worth the additional expense.

That is, had I bought a Benro like I should have and it broke in the same way as my Gitzo has, I would be less worried about it and just put it down to heavy useage.
    But that Benro would have cost me 1/3rd the price of the supposedly top quality Gitzo.
    Tremendous help, thank you!

I would buy the two you recommend but from a different seller. I cannot find them elsewhere though and that seller has poor ratings *plus replied like a robot when I emailed.

I was sceptical about the lightweight tripod in my post being durable but this is my concern. They all state that they are great...but don't protect your equipment. Australian consumer law imposes fit for purpose/reasonable quality so I could pursue 'Promaster' for my consequential loss, but no one wants that hassle.

Hopefully I can just get a reliable replacement and learn my lesson.

Ausphotography Regular Nick Cliff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was interested to see that Markins make an upgrade for the hubs for Gitzo series 2 tripods and or bases to fit so it would appear that the problems with the Gitzo tripods are not that unusual.
    Every tripod is a compromise and really I agree with Arthur that thicker legs and a bit more weight for stability are to me more important than a few hundred grams less weight having had lighter tripods let me down in the past.
    The snap lock legs are great on Manfrotto tripods if you want to set up gear in a hurry without needing to confirm something is locked manually as you can feel it lock in place easily.
    With the twist lock systems on tripod legs people have watched their tripods topple over me included when setting things up in a hurry if one has not quite tightened things enough, maybe some brands twist locks are better in this regard and may warrant some further research if this is your preference.

cheers Nick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast