User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  39
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adobe - is breaking up REALLY hard to do?

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read through pretty much all the threads I think and am a little surprised about how much negativity there is about Adobe Creative cloud. Now I am not saying I am a great photographer but I do like to try and do some creative work like those in my " Photo Fun Hump day " shots and for me the work flow is LR CC and PS CC. I remember maybe 6 yrs back I purchased the latest version of PSE and suffered continuous frustrations at the time as it didnt support layers for non destructive editing along with a very poor cataloging tool. I believe I paid something like $157 for it at the time. LR I purchased outright also before subscription came along.

Now - being an early subscriber I got in on the beta buy discount which has gone up maybe $3 since the start of subscription offering so I have been with them for some time. I still pay $12 give or take a few cents for my LR CC and PS CC subscription. For that I get the latest software and version updates along with new features added of both LR CC and PS CC.

So in view of yearly cost I am up around $150 AU a yrs which is still less than what I paid for LR and less than what PSE cost me. In fact looking at the thread, at least two of the other products come in only maybe $50 less without free upgrades for new RAW version etc.

So, I dont see warrant in bagging out Adobe for what is - IMHO - and seems a very large Global community of photographers also is an unjust cost for what is a fantastic product.

However, I get it. I do seem the point here in as much as PS can be at times a bit of a learning curve and there maybe many features not for ones using it but to say it is in-superior to many other products and over costly I think is yanking the chain a bit.

So sure - everyone to their own and sure if you find a product suites you better that makes perfect sense to me and a legit argument - however, I cant say I am in line with the Adobe big bad monster theme here :-)

It does sound a little like I have a Canon because Nikon blah blah discussion hear which I have never bother getting caught up in :-)

Happy days team.

Mike
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    I haven't read the entire thread so forgive me if this has been mentioned.
    But an increasingly popular PP software is Snapseed, owned by Google and produced by the excellent Nik software.
    I don't use it cos I don't really PP my mobile images but as the mobile platform becomes increasingly popular, this might make in-roads into breaking Adobe's monopoly.
    I believe they used to have a desktop version but not anymore. If they brought that back with the emphasis on ease of use and workflow, then you might see a large migration of casual enthusiast, especially if it remains free even with more powerful features added.
    I use snapseed on my mobile, But sadly Nik Software has been discontinued: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ead.php?152531
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    I use snapseed on my mobile, But sadly Nik Software has been discontinued: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ead.php?152531
    Do you know if its broken up and absorbed by Google or something else? I knew the Nik software suite was discontinued but thought the team were still being tasked with other developments. Maybe I remember incorrectly.
    Such a shame, I liked their software and paid for mine without regrets even though Google made it free later on.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Ausphotography Veteran Claire M's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    an increasingly popular PP software is Snapseed, owned by Google and produced by the excellent Nik software.
    For mobile devices (tablets and smartphones - Android or iphone), particularly when you're travelling and your laptop/desktop is not there with you, then Snapseed is probably one of the best FREE photo apps, along with PicsArt, that's easy to use, has more than basic photo adjustment and retouch options, opens and edits RAW files, has assortment of filters and presets, and great overall for PP (has masking options and layering) for photos taken on these devices, and of course you can share online/bluetooth and save your photos in PNG or JPG format. The biggest bug bearer I have with Snapseed though, is you have limited choice of pixel sizes that you can save to/in. I have very recently downloaded an image resizer App - Photo & Picture Resizer, which does the job!
    PicsArt is an amazing App that, apart form the usual editing/adjusting photo options, you can also work in layers/masks, create double exposures, create amazing artworks from your photos using various filters, has other filters you often find in desktop photo software, create collages, add stickers and clipart from their assorted collections, (and even make your own 'sticker' and save for use later), and of course share your pic, or save the end result to a PNG or JPG. A handy, fun little App is this one!

You know, speaking generally, it all really comes down to what you want to use Photo software for, and is it for leisure use or professional use, what do you REALLY NEED the software for, and are you prepared to pay for which ever software you choose? Trying out different software first, and free downloads are available for a limited time offer (and normally all features are functional) is the way to go.

Now getting back to landyvlad's first post . Unfortunately the link didn't work, but I googled and found this page:
    https://www.linuxtechi.com/top-12-image-editor-tools-for-linux-desktop/
    which describes a variety of 12 photo and art software options (also covering RAW editing), some free and some you need to pay, for Linux users (no Photoshop mentioned), for those that don't have access to the software mentioned throughout this thread.
    Another link that covers a few more worthy programs:
    https://www.maketecheasier.com/best-image-editing-software-linux/

Cheers!
    Last edited by Claire M; 25-09-2017 at 8:55pm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do you know if its broken up and absorbed by Google or something else? I knew the Nik software suite was discontinued but thought the team were still being tasked with other developments. Maybe I remember incorrectly.
    Such a shame, I liked their software and paid for mine without regrets even though Google made it free later on.
    It is still available but will just never see any further releases or future development. What he have now is the end of the line. My guess is that google bought it to get access to the processing engine behind it, and will use some of that code to develop snapseed further with more filters etc, but as a stand alone or plug-in for photoshop etc, Nik is at the end of its upgrade/improvement path.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the NIK suite as plug-ins with Lightroom and I really must investigate Define 2 as I do get the odd (?) comment about background noise.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    I have the NIK suite as plug-ins with Lightroom and I really must investigate Define 2 as I do get the odd (?) comment about background noise.
    I use most of the Topaz plug-ins. Its not that you cannot do most of it with PS CC but with the plug-ins it makes it so much quicker, easier and with presets to help you get the look you are after. I have also found that detail and clarity plug-ins are as good as if not better tooling than PS's and most go to the plug-in rather than camera raw for these two functions.
    Some of the Topaz plug-ins are reasonable prices but some not so cheap if you are on a budget and not really for the less serious photographer - but that is just MHO and everyone to their own and budget ;-)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Mike ↑ I have Topaz Plug-ins and use DeNoise on many images at present.
    Could not live without it as using my 150-600mm lens in the late afternoon shooting Birds in our shady backyard produced heaps of noise.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    Gazza drew my attention to these brief videos that will cover Define2 for you Kev ... https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...HipF5albBgzJRW

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Gazza drew my attention to these brief videos that will cover Define2 for you Kev ... https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...HipF5albBgzJRW
    Many thanks Mark. Most appreciated.

Kev

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    I'm curious .... why do you use both Pro and Ultimate? Doesn't Ultimate do everything that Pro does?
    I started with ACDSEE Pro 4 and upgraded contineously up untill, Ultimate became available. My desktop is a 32bit machine while the laptop is 64bit - ultimate is 64bit only. When ultimate became available I got it (but did not check/realise it was 64 bit). Do not do serious editing on the laptop - layers occasionaly. So upgraded from Pro 9 to 10. Sometimes wonder if I should not upgrade the desktop to 64bit and move to latest Ultimate. But oh the schlep of re-installing all software and of course cost.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richtbw View Post
    I started with ACDSEE Pro 4 and upgraded contineously up untill, Ultimate became available. My desktop is a 32bit machine while the laptop is 64bit - ultimate is 64bit only. When ultimate became available I got it (but did not check/realise it was 64 bit). Do not do serious editing on the laptop - layers occasionaly. So upgraded from Pro 9 to 10. Sometimes wonder if I should not upgrade the desktop to 64bit and move to latest Ultimate. But oh the schlep of re-installing all software and of course cost.
    Ahhhhh ... that all makes sense now. I've been with ACDSee for a long time too, and it is more powerful and user friendly than other users might realise.

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    Ahhhhh ... that all makes sense now. I've been with ACDSee for a long time too, and it is more powerful and user friendly than other users might realise.
    Agree. The improvement/development that I have experienced up to now is exceptional, and then of course the price is realistic. Especiallly when upgrading.

Serial Truant....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just bought Affinity 1.5, glad to give Adobe the flick, IMO they've become too greedy. Hopefully the learning curve is not too steep.
    Last edited by phild; 07-12-2017 at 11:14pm.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richtbw View Post
    Sometimes wonder if I should not upgrade the desktop to 64bit and move to latest Ultimate. But oh the schlep of re-installing all software and of course cost.
    Your time and trouble aside, the cost to upgrade any Windows version from 32-bit to 64-bit is zero. Repeat: zero. Doesn't matter whether you run 7, 8, 8.1, or 10, doesn't matter if it's OEM or retail, your licence provides you with the right to use either 32-bit or 64-bit Windows, and to swap from one to the other. You have already paid for that right, why not use it?

All you need is 64-bit installation media. In most cases you can download this free from Microsoft, but the procedure is arcane and tedious. It's much easier to simply borrow a DVD from someone and install it using your own valid licence key. Note that the DVD must be the same version you have the rights to - e.g., Windows 8.1 Pro OEM; Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade. Provided your licence is valid (i.e., you bought Windows in the first place or it came with your machine), that you install the same version you have paid for, and that you use your own product key, this is perfectly legitimate and 100% legal. You are simply using the product that you paid for in the first place.

(PS: They call Windows Ultimate "Ultimate", but that's actually just an abbreviation. The full name of Windows Ultimate is "Windows Some People are so Silly that they will Give us Lots of Extra Money for no Benefit or Advantage Whatsoever, and Possibly Even Feel Good About it Afterwards: this is the Ultimate Marketing Scam and whenever they can stop Laughing Our Accountants Love it to Bits".
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So that's the "Ultimate" rationale

--Hmm! It applies to everything in this Market-driven (read "Profiteering") economy
    CC, Image editing OK.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    Your time and trouble aside, the cost to upgrade any Windows version from 32-bit to 64-bit is zero. Repeat: zero. Doesn't matter whether you run 7, 8, 8.1, or 10, doesn't matter if it's OEM or retail, your licence provides you with the right to use either 32-bit or 64-bit Windows, and to swap from one to the other. You have already paid for that right, why not use it?

All you need is 64-bit installation media. In most cases you can download this free from Microsoft, but the procedure is arcane and tedious. It's much easier to simply borrow a DVD from someone and install it using your own valid licence key. Note that the DVD must be the same version you have the rights to - e.g., Windows 8.1 Pro OEM; Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade. Provided your licence is valid (i.e., you bought Windows in the first place or it came with your machine), that you install the same version you have paid for, and that you use your own product key, this is perfectly legitimate and 100% legal. You are simply using the product that you paid for in the first place.
    Thanks for that info, Tony.

I have been vaguely thinking about this with a new box I will be building. I already own 4x Windows 7 Pro licences with 32 Bit installation media. I have just finished downloading the MS 64 bit ISO file, and will burn it to a couple of DVDs shortly. Fortunately I have cable internet (HFC), with download speed of around 115-116 Mbps ... so the download didn't take forever!

I helped my brother in Brisbane convert from ADSL2 to NBN a couple of days ago. He has FTTN, and is about 800m route length from the node. He is getting around 23.56/4.64 Mbps, i.e. better than the Telstra advertised speed of 22/4 Mbps on his tier. Drops a little bit between 7-11 pm (about -15% - nothing to even notice). All went smoothly, considering my brother's technical acumen ... He is a happy camper. His ADSL2 speeds have varied from 2.78/0.5 to 5.8/0.5 Mbps over the last 12 months, mostly around 4/0.5.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rebuilt a PC yesterday and today using the Windows 7 Pro 64 bit I downloaded per Tony's info.

It is quite ancient hardware (nearly 7 y.o.). It has a Core2 Duo E7500, 8GB 1333 MHz RAM, Kingston 240 GB SSD, plus a few spinners. Runs like a dream with PS6. Had 11 RAW files open simultaneously, didn't even blink!

Had to ferret out some 64 bit drivers and s/w. As usual, the video card and monitor caused some problems.

Otherwise all is working well. Will test some 4 GB 1333 MHz RAM chips next week. The m/b is supposed to support up to 16 GB total.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool.
    Thanks for the continued contributions I'm finding many if the comments and ideas interesting.
    Gear: Panasonic Lumix FZ200 / Huawei Mate 20 / LR 5, PSE 12, Da Vinci resolve

"I may be crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    Rebuilt a PC yesterday and today using the Windows 7 Pro 64 bit I downloaded per Tony's info.

It is quite ancient hardware (nearly 7 y.o.). It has a Core2 Duo E7500, 8GB 1333 MHz RAM, Kingston 240 GB SSD, plus a few spinners. Runs like a dream with PS6. Had 11 RAW files open simultaneously, didn't even blink!

Had to ferret out some 64 bit drivers and s/w. As usual, the video card and monitor caused some problems.

Otherwise all is working well. Will test some 4 GB 1333 MHz RAM chips next week. The m/b is supposed to support up to 16 GB total.
    The m/b does support 16 GB of RAM. That PC flies, regardless of what's being used, how many browser tabs/windows are open, etc.

Double clicking on a 10 MB JPG file in Bridge opens it in Photoshop CS6 in about 8 seconds after a reboot (nothing cached).

Have upgraded a second PC and installed CS5, Office 2003 and all service packs and updates, printers and stuff. This PC only has 8 GB RAM but same m/b and only 256 MB video card. It is still fast ...

Very good performance out of boxes I specified and supplied back in 2010, and got for nothing from the original client.

Very cheap upgrades, all things considered ... .

Most expensive part is the 16 GB RAM chips ($320). Good quality SSD - $125. PCIe USB3 4 port controller and front panel card reader with USB3 port - Vantec (Renesas) $70. A new box with equivalent quality components costs around $1,500-1,800.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast