User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  39
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adobe - is breaking up REALLY hard to do?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adobe - is breaking up REALLY hard to do?

This is primarily directed at Linux users, but some of the programs mentioned have windows / mac versions as well.

If you want to break up WITH Adobe but are having difficulties, go here for counselling:https://itsfoss.com/adobe-alternatives-linux/Many

The comments have even brought an additional one to my attention.It appears that "krita" may be better than Gimp, as krita has support for layers in psd format (a better way of doing things that the Gimp implementation)

And for those who want to do just basic photo editing stuff, without the complexity and learning curve of photoshop complexity, then have a look at photoscape.

Cheers
    Last edited by landyvlad; 22-09-2017 at 12:49pm.
    Gear: Panasonic Lumix FZ200 / Huawei Mate 20 / LR 5, PSE 12, Da Vinci resolve

"I may be crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been processing photos for many years, and from time to time I dabble in Adobe's products. However, particularly now that they have gone online rather than as stand-alone products, I have yet to see a compelling reason to stay with Adobe.

Paintshop Pro and ACDSee do pretty much anything that Adobe can do, and IMHO they do it better and more intuitively. The stuff that Adobe might do that's not covered by these two isn't really worth the additional effort.

For me, breaking up isn't an issue .......

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would never upgrade to the new one (cc?) but have spent so many years learning how to use cs4 as and cs6 that I couldn't imagine starting from scratch somewhere else now.

Even though I probably know about 1-5% of photoshop's capabilities, it's taken me so long to learn those precious few things that I need to pursue it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff79 View Post
    Even though I probably know about 1-5% of photoshop's capabilities, it's taken me so long to learn those precious few things that I need to pursue it.
    I think that's the whole problem with behemoths like Photoshop. I imagine very few people ever come to grips with all the things it can do, and we spend so much time digging around, trying to find the more useful functions, andwe never achieve either its potential or our own. That's why I like some of the less massive but equally proficient software that doesn't try to soar with eagles because most of its users are turkeys.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use "smart photo editor" very basic, but this turkey is very happy with it

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff79 View Post
    I would never upgrade to the new one (cc?) but have spent so many years learning how to use cs4 as and cs6 that I couldn't imagine starting from scratch somewhere else now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm with you here. Using CS6 with Windows.
    I've learnt how the 1% helps my photos. The end result of what my photos are used for won't change enough to warrant learn new software yet. (although I still learn new things in my PS PPing)

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by feathers View Post
    I use "smart photo editor" very basic, but this turkey is very happy with it
    I would have thought you to be a Photoshop fiend, Richard! You obviously know how to get the best out of the program you do use!

Me, I love Lightroom for most of my images, but I'm pushing myself to learn and use Photoshop more these days.

Ausphotography Veteran Claire M's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It all depends on how much post processing you wish to do with/to your photos to achieve what you are happy with, as far as what software you may use.
    I used to be a Photoshop user a few years back, before all this subscription nonsense, and for my art interpretations/creations that are based from photos, I am now a regular user of Affinity Photo (there's both Windows and Apple versions), which is very similar to Photoshop and is much less expensive, and cheaper than Lightroom. It is also an easier software to learn than Photoshop, with many tutorials on the net as well, and you can use Adobe plugins (8bf) and import/export PSD files. Have a browse at this post and also have a read of my thread if you're interested: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?149958-Affinity-Photo-new-kid-on-the-(Windows)block&highlight=Affinity

SPE - Smart Photo Editor, as Andrew (feathers) mentioned is also a good fairly simple editing program with the usual adjustment features, batching, cloning and 'cutting out' options, and more!, and has so many filters (adjustable) you can use to create a photo masterpiece or a spectacular artwork, with many options for frames/borders as well for a one off price (half price special at the mo) of $29.95! I use this software a fair bit too, and highly recommend it.

Another basic, but worthy software is FastStone Image Viewer and is FREEWARE!, so no cost involved! This has been mentioned in other AP posts as well. This program is an image browser, converter and editor that supports all major graphic formats including BMP, JPEG, JPEG 2000, GIF, PNG, PCX, TIFF, WMF, ICO, TGA and camera raw files. It has a nice array of features such as image viewing, management, comparisons, red-eye removal, emailing/sharing, resizing, cropping, colour adjustments, musical slideshow and even more!
    Of course there is GIMP - a FREE worthy Photo Editor and Graphic program as well!, and probably more out there too!
    Question now is, do we really need ADOBE?

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plays With Light View Post
    I would have thought you to be a Photoshop fiend, Richard! You obviously know how to get the best out of the program you do use!

Me, I love Lightroom for most of my images, but I'm pushing myself to learn and use Photoshop more these days.
    I might have another look at it again sometime in the future, now that l'm retired. Looked a bit complicated the first time l looked at it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Claire M View Post
    It all depends on how much post processing you wish to do with/to your photos to achieve what you are happy with, as far as what software you may use.
    I used to be a Photoshop user a few years back, before all this subscription nonsense, and for my art interpretations/creations that are based from photos, I am now a regular user of Affinity Photo (there's both Windows and Apple versions), which is very similar to Photoshop and is much less expensive, and cheaper than Lightroom. It is also an easier software to learn than Photoshop, with many tutorials on the net as well, and you can use Adobe plugins (8bf) and import/export PSD files. Have a browse at this post and also have a read of my thread if you're interested: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?149958-Affinity-Photo-new-kid-on-the-(Windows)block&highlight=Affinity

SPE - Smart Photo Editor, as Andrew (feathers) mentioned is also a good fairly simple editing program with the usual adjustment features, batching, cloning and 'cutting out' options, and more!, and has so many filters (adjustable) you can use to create a photo masterpiece or a spectacular artwork, with many options for frames/borders as well for a one off price (half price special at the mo) of $29.95! I use this software a fair bit too, and highly recommend it.

Another basic, but worthy software is FastStone Image Viewer and is FREEWARE!, so no cost involved! This has been mentioned in other AP posts as well. This program is an image browser, converter and editor that supports all major graphic formats including BMP, JPEG, JPEG 2000, GIF, PNG, PCX, TIFF, WMF, ICO, TGA and camera raw files. It has a nice array of features such as image viewing, management, comparisons, red-eye removal, emailing/sharing, resizing, cropping, colour adjustments, musical slideshow and even more!
    Of course there is GIMP - a FREE worthy Photo Editor and Graphic program as well!, and probably more out there too!
    That's very interesting Claire Thankyou, l will check them out. Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not if Affinity and MacPhun keep doing what they are so successfully achieving! Both have Photoshop beating programs available for Windows and Macs. Now, if only they would come up with a DAM, I'd leap ship right now!
    Last edited by Plays With Light; 23-09-2017 at 4:55pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    too be honest i use adobe product religiously....but this is where the " user error" comes into it.....photoshop isnt really a "photographers" ideal tool..it is however hands down the best for manipulation and any other picture distortion you may require... i use it for photo restoration and couldnt live without it.... now LIGHTROOM... there is a photographers dream program... see people use photoshop instead of lightroom and its not quite the same.... i mean you wouldnt use lightroom to manipulate a photo would you? same as you shouldnt use photoshop for photo editing ( adjustments in contrast, white balance, saturation, tones....you know the rest) photoshop is for.... well photoshopping bits and pieces cloning.. warping... editing with layers of the artistic side.... so lightroom for photographer...photoshop for designer.....
    long live

http://www.birdphotographyworkshops.com.au

Canon R7, and a lot of other bits and bobs

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ What he said 100%
    Last edited by enseth; 23-09-2017 at 6:45pm.

Ausphotography Veteran Claire M's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a quick apology to Richard, who I called Andrew (for some unknown reason!?) in my above post, so Sorry Feathers!
    Last edited by Claire M; 23-09-2017 at 9:16pm.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paulheath View Post
    LIGHTROOM... there is a photographers dream program
    Photographer's damn nightmare. Whoever heard of a photo editing program that doesn't even have the ability to perform the very first and most important command an editor of any kind needs - FILE -> OPEN? It is a usability disaster of such monumental, incomprehensible arrogance and stupidity that I have not the words to describe it properly, and if I did I couldn't repeat them here.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a quick apology to Richard, who I called Andrew (for some unknown reason!?) in my above post, so Sorry Feathers!
    All good Claire The only place you will find perfection, is in a dictionary I do that sort of stuff regularly Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paulheath View Post
    i mean you wouldnt use lightroom to manipulate a photo would you?
    I used to, Paul! This image was edited in Lightroom only, one day I'm going to retackle it in Photoshop, but I have a lot to learn in that regards, including luminosity masking before I do have a go at it again.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Lightroom and PS paid for not CC, it suits me and I am too old to start learning any new stuff.
    And if you do need any Help you always seem to get it on here for those two

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use Lightroom and CS6. This push to have us pay monthly for everything is going to cause a world of financial pain for a heap of people in the not to distant future when they realise they have signed up for a whole range of these monthly payment things and find that they are paying out more than they earn. How easy is it to go, oh, its only $19.99 a month, click!

Netflix, Stan, Spotify, Photoshop, Lightroom, foxtel... and more. Even charities like Red Cross don't want you cash anymore, they want your credit card and a monthly contract. Suddenly people find themselves paying $hundreds a month in these fees.

The issue will be when those of us using CS6 buy a new camera and find it is not supported by our software, so our RAW files will not open. We will then need to seek out another RAW processor or editing suite.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick I agree, especially with any new camera purchase.
    Last edited by torro; 24-09-2017 at 8:36am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    The issue will be when those of us using CS6 buy a new camera and find it is not supported by our software, so our RAW files will not open. We will then need to seek out another RAW processor or editing suite.
    When that happens, I reckon you should look into the Affinity and MacPhun products. For Affinity it costs $80 AU, for MacPhun Luminar Neptune it's $99 AU, and you have a brand new Photoshop equivalent, and it's yours for life, like the old CS6 is.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast