Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgo View Post

I've not had an issue with noticeable drop on my heads though I don't shoot macro.
    note that you don't need macro to see this issue.

ps. I found that DPR review too in the LINK

All you need is any reasonably long-ish lens. I've used my 70-200 at MFD(but that's less than 1m, and most don't get that close).. but 300mm and close range may show the issue.

Try to line up any straight horizontal line and try to place it at either the top or bottom edge of the camera's framing(assuming a 100% vf coverage through it). Live view is usually 100% coverage.
    So you tighten the large control just so that the framing doesn't move when you let go of the camera/lens combo.
    Then not touching anything other than the large control, tighten it up so it's locked good.
    Frame drops enough so that straight horizontal edge is no longer where you placed it.
    Not a problem for most usage, unless a horizontal line needs to be where you intially frame it.
    Big problem for macro when you're closer than 1:1. What you had in the centre of the frame then moves closer to an edge!

If you check out the DPR shootout(I linked directly to the RRS page) scroll down to near the bottom of the review and check out the target looking image. use their rollover links to see the effect.

EDIT: check the drop of the FLM head #4 .. or more accurately lack of drop!

Note that my Manfrotto hydrostatic ball head used to do the same thing till I attacked it with WD-40 and cleaned out all the lube they use in it.
    Originally it was worse than the BH-55, but with all that black goop removed it's rock solid and in my quick test with it, I now get zero drop.
    I thought maybe this was the same deal with the BH-55 .. some lube stuff doing the same .. but it's not. no lube that I can see.
    So like I said, my solution was to not use the large control to lock the ball in place, but to use the friction control adjuster to lock my ability to loosen the ball instead. Simple and it works .. but not ideal.

Like Morgo said tho, and I said the same thing. . in terms of materials used and quality of finish .. about as high as it gets I think.
    I've had mine now for a good 7+ years ... maybe 9 or so. Had a hard life out in deserts in sand, getting thrown about in the car, thrown into the car when in a hurry thrown to the floor when it's drop issue pissed me right off!

But the finish when cleaned up still looks like new!

And in terms of rigidity(ie. vibration control) it's definitely better than my Manfrotto. Holding 840mm at f/5.6 at close range(about 2-2.5m) much steadier.
    Last edited by arthurking83; 28-09-2017 at 6:04pm.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N