User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: Apple iTunes update - 12.7 (please tell me they haven't done this...)

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apple iTunes update - 12.7 (please tell me they haven't done this...)

I installed iTunes 12.7 on my Windows 10 Pro PC today and discovered that the capability to sync Apps, Books and other purchased assets has been removed from iTunes, which is now focusing on Music, TV, Movies and the suchlike.

I used to be able to purchase/download all my Apps, Books, etc. updates ONCE to my Win10 PC using iTunes and then update all my SIX iOS devices (x 4 iPads + x2 iPods) via sync'ing my iOS devices via a hard wired USB cradle.

With any new App/Book purchase or update, it now looks like I will have to download new purchases and updates for each device SEPARATELY (i.e. x6 times) and then via Wi-Fi ONLY on each device – is this the case or am I (hopefully) misunderstanding the new beaut iTunes 12.7???

If my initial assumption is correct, then this is a VERY BAD MOVE by Apple; it makes my Apps, Books, etc. management much more arduous and time consuming and it is likely that as a result I will be purchasing less of these products as it is just too onerous to manage purchases and updates via this new "improved" method.

I hope that I have completely stuffed up my understanding of this iTunes 12.7 update and “enhanced” mode of operation and that I will discover that Apple have not implemented this incredibly backwards step in the App and Book management process.

Cheers

Dennis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just checked my installation and yes it would seem that the only options available under Library now are;

• Music
    • Movies
    • TV Shows
    • Podcasts
    • Audiobooks

Of course, if I connect my iPhone I can then see everything under the Device list;

• Music
    • Movies
    • TV Shows
    • Podcasts
    • Books
    • Audiobooks
    • Tones

It wouldn't surprise me if Apple are trying to do away with iTunes altogether one day. They already did away with syncing of Apps in iTunes some time ago.

I guess they expect that if you have more than one device, that you enable Automatic Downloads on each device.
    Last edited by bricabrac89; 26-09-2017 at 9:18pm.
    Regards, bricabrac89

Camera: Canon 600D
    Lenses: Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO DG EX OS HSM

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks bricbrac, I figured as much and the few days since the update (downgrade?) has propelled me along a modified strategy.

I downloaded the Kindle Reader App for IOS and will only purchase Kindle e-books from now onwards as I can Browse their well organised/categorised/indexed on-line Library from my desktop PC which is heaps more convenient to me and "how I work".

In terms of Apps, I have cleansed my iPads of non-essential or non-core Apps that I have accumulated over the years to remove the update/download - multi-device management burden and will only purchase those Apps that are "must haves" so the fun/frivolous days are over where I kinda enjoyed just playing with Apps and having a number that did more or less the same thing.

I do like iBooks for PDFs so will continue to use that.

Cheers

Dennis

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've learnt that if possible, never to update iTunes. I'm at my best ever place with it, but through the years it has been an incredibly irritating and difficult to use program, seemingly going out of its way to be as difficult as possible at times. And I've rarely actually ever heard a good word about it.

Anyway, sadly I'd have no doubt at all that the latest update would make an inconceivably stupid change that makes no sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The modification they made that's annoying me the most is that I can't un-sync/delete ringtones any more! I have a stack of ringtones that I edited from various songs and I can't get them off of my phone any more. For some reason, I can still sync my books though!

I can sync everything that's in the top portion of this screen grab. I'm on iTunes 12.7.066. I don't understand why you can't sync your books any more, Dennis.

Untitled.jpeg

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, Happy Daze! They've gone and eliminated that syncing feeling
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plays With Light View Post
    The modification they made that's annoying me the most is that I can't un-sync/delete ringtones any more! I have a stack of ringtones that I edited from various songs and I can't get them off of my phone any more. For some reason, I can still sync my books though!

I can sync everything that's in the top portion of this screen grab. I'm on iTunes 12.7.066. I don't understand why you can't sync your books any more, Dennis.

Untitled.jpeg
    Hi Alex

Thanks for your post and screen capture, I appreciate it.

On my iPad Air I don’t have the “Books” Icon listed under the “Summary” Folder under Settings like you show on your iPhone, although the main reason for me moving to Kindle is that I can no longer Browse Books in the Apple Store on my Windows PC via the iTunes Library – I’m not really interested in Browsing via my iPads.

The more comprehensive table of contents of the Kindle e-book Store seems simpler to navigate and I prefer Browsing the Photography Section at my PC.

Cheers

Dennis

PS – as I write, an IOS 11.01 update is downloading..
    PPS - I am referring to the TOC in the Kindle e-book on-line store from where I purchase/download books, not the TOC of each individual book on my device.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nardes; 27-09-2017 at 6:57am.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nardes View Post
    On my iPad Air I don’t have the “Books” Icon listed under the “Summary” Folder under Settings like you show on your iPhone, although the main reason for me moving to Kindle is that I can no longer Browse Books in the Apple Store on my Windows PC via the iTunes Library – I’m not really interested in Browsing via my iPads.

The more comprehensive table of contents of the Kindle e-book Store seems simpler to navigate and I prefer Browsing the Photography Section at my PC.

Cheers

Dennis

PS – as I write, an IOS 11.01 update is downloading..
    PPS - I am referring to the TOC in the Kindle e-book on-line store from where I purchase/download books, not the TOC of each individual book on my device.
    Aah, I've gotcha now, Dennis. Yeah, the buggers removed that ability and it makes zero sense, my wife does exactly the same as what you are having to do, she loves her ebooks! Me, I use them as references on my iPad to learn more about Photoshop and much prefer holding a tangible book in my hands for that pleasurable reading experience!

I found out why I still have access to my books in iTunes, she-that-recalls-all was able to furnish me with the recall. Apparently, I have never synced my books with iBooks, so it has never taken control of them for me! I load them all into iBooks, but never use it to sync with my iPad or iPhone. My wife cursed the day she did that a couple of years ago, so I never did it.

I am actually on version 12.7.0.166, the same as you, I omitted a few digits in my reply above. The fingers and brain don't sync too well these days!
    Last edited by Plays With Light; 27-09-2017 at 11:41am.