User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: Fake micro SD cards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fake micro SD cards

Do not buy micro SD cards that look like these.

They will format to the stated size but in fact will only hold around 14gig of data no matter what size is printed on them.

I have twisted a full refund out of the eBay shops that sold me these. A 3rd seller was very happy and quick to refund without any preasure.
    D5500 18-55 & 55-300mm, Intervalometre/remote, Cokin filters I never use and a pocket Fuji camera 14Mp with 3x optical & my Samsung Galaxy S5

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are heaps of these on Ebay at one one time:

One of the warning signs is when you can get a 256gb micro SD card for $13.56 with free shipping. If it sounds to good to be true, it is!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Fakes" News
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A simple rule everyone should know: never buy memory cards on Ebay, or from any other dodgy source.

The major Hong Kong camera retailers - very cheap for cameras and lenses - have a remarkably limited range of memory cards and charge more than you would expect.

Cheap Chips (Australian on-line vendor) used to be pretty good but seems to be rather expensive these days. B&H has the biggest range you could possibly imagine at very sharp prices and it's worth paying the freight, especially if you want more than one card.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deathrox View Post

They will format to the stated size but in fact will only hold around 14gig of data no matter what size is printed on them.

I have twisted a full refund out of the eBay shops that sold me these. A 3rd seller was very happy and quick to refund without any preasure.
    Note that the device that the card will be used in, and the way that the card is formatted will make a difference to the size of the data available.
    I'm assuming that you're using them on the Galaxy S5.
    What format file system did you try. FAT32 has many limitations on it, and some cards just don't like the workarounds. Some devices can also play up if they're not formatted properly.

I have a single 64G card I use in my (Android) tablet. It caused me lots of grief to get the 64Gb. In the end I formatted it in the device(rather than on Windows) using the exFAT file system .. and finally got it working

.. although in saying all that, the fact that you couldn't get more than 14G of data on the card marked TF Card 32GB means that almost certainly they were fakes.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    Cheap Chips (Australian on-line vendor) used to be pretty good but seems to be rather expensive these days. B&H has the biggest range you could possibly imagine at very sharp prices and it's worth paying the freight, especially if you want more than one card.
    Cheap Chips used to be my go to store. They were even an AP advertiser at one point. The company has changed hands several times, and with each change of ownership, the $ went up. They still offer good value (at times). But certainly are not the Cheap part of their name any longer.