User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  34
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: best value telephoto lens for Nikon d5500?

Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Personally I wouldn't worry 'bout it too much.
    (in fact I'm a heavy user of filtering, but not ND's as such)

Camera/lens can help you achieve slow shutter shooting itself.

Set ISO to ISO100. Set aperture to f/16 or f/22 if need be.
    Some will argue that diffraction will affect IQ, but the reality is this is pretty much nonsense as the filter will affect sharpness as much as diffraction will. Also, some movement in many slow shutter situations(like trees swaying, water moving.. etc).

A CPL will probably get you another stop of light loss as well.

I'd say start with the basics, don't shoot at high noon .. earlier/later in the day ... etc.
    If you are stuck in that you can only find the time to do this during the brightest part of the day then I reckon find a cheap enough filter that does what you want/need.

I have a couple of thousand dollars worth of filters and filter accessories, and of all that only the one ND filter which cost me about $20(IIRC).
    The only lens it fits(and was acquired for!) is my 50mm f/1.2. And the only reason I did get this one lens was to use the lens at f/1.2 with the lowest ISO I could manage .. and in bright light on a bright subject, I needed 1/32000s shutter speed.
    At 1/8000s I over exposed by +2Ev.
    ie. the only reason I got it was that I wanted the shallow DOF of f/1.2 but then became shutter speed limited at the fastest end!

If you can describe the slow/long shutter situations you're interested in doing, maybe we can describe an alternative scenario without you spending money on a filter(for now).

Also an important other point is, do you have plans for any other lenses .. eg. UWA and suchlike.
    Reason I ask is that I think you've shown an interest in the Tamron 24-70 VC lens too
    If so, then be aware that it needs an 82mm filter.

The important point here being that if you have plans for a 24-70VC and also want to use this same filter type for long shutter photography with it too .. then there's no point getting a 77mm filter for the 70-200 G2 lens and that filter now not fitting the 24-70 lens!

You're best off getting the 82mm version which fits the 24-70 lens and then a cheap $1 step down ring for the 82mm filter to fit the 77mm 70-200 lens.

Hope that makes sense.

This is why I generally explain to folks that a more careful and considered approach is the best way to buying stuff.
    Thank you.

I wrote out a massive reply but often this site eats up the responses.

in short.

I have the lens. Bad weather so will experiment at home.

Filter:

I have a 72mm variable filter for my 18-50 lens. I need it for most of my long exposure shots (typically dawn/dusk) as otherwise the light filter says too much light.

thinking this one:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...l_Density.html

Thank you

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something else to check out in the future is the nikon 300mm f4 PF ED VR, weighing only 755g. It has come down in price, but still expensive.
    Very sharp at f4. The VR is very good, and it has a sports mode, for fast action stuff. Apart from when l'm doing landscapes, or close quarter stuff, l have this lens on my camera most of the time, and because its so light, l can use it all day, without getting sore from weight issues. It is a prime lens though, so you have to use you legs to get closer or further away to get things in frame. Bokeh is good, but it does hunt at times in low light conditions. Cheers.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilovebokeh View Post
    Filter:

I have a 72mm variable filter for my 18-50 lens. I need it for most of my long exposure shots (typically dawn/dusk) as otherwise the light filter says too much light.

thinking this one:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...l_Density.html

Thank you
    I personally wouldn't use a Variable ND filter. Why, because they vary, and not always in the way that you want them to.

I'd suggest this one ... https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...d_Neutral.html It has been heavily discounted and B+W are the acknowledged leaders in camera filters.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    I personally wouldn't use a Variable ND filter. Why, because they vary, and not always in the way that you want them to.

I'd suggest this one ... https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...d_Neutral.html It has been heavily discounted and B+W are the acknowledged leaders in camera filters.
    Thank you.

Huge help!

I needed a filter today.

So far:

1) FUN LENS!
    2) HEAVY.
    3) I am attuned to composing in 18-50 range, so this is a new challenge.
    4) Sharp image quality.
    5) time. Due to my shaking left hand, my challenge is setting up with the tripod etc. So composing is even more important. It makes me think that I need to 'stake out' my shots, i.e be ready and click them as they happen in front of me. I can no longer be quick enough to react to serendipity.

Account Closed
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An interesting benefit of this lens is that I can take photos through objects (eg. linked fence/screen door) * without the screen showing.

Lots of fun!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234