Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Austog Irregular Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roane Photo View Post
    Unfortunately the best way to avoid situations like this is simple, don't take pictures of other peoples children unless you have prior permission to do so. I will take pics of teens and adults in the public places but will not ever take pics of children for fear of this exact thing happening. Someone has said that "it's not a very nice world out there" I totally disagree, I believe the world is a beautiful and amazing place we just have to modify some of our behaviors because of the behavior of a few spoiling it for us, not a big deal compromise is something we all have to do to get along in this wonderful world of ours.

Shane - that could easily be reversed and parents who are concerned about people taking photos of their kids in public - don't take them into a public place. What I was doing is not illegal or agaainst the law, it is against a fear or phobia that people have. Children like adults and teenagers, take more natural photos when captured in a candid moment rather than a posed shot. Children display a real different feeling of sponteneity, playfulness, intrigue and so many other traits.

This fear or phobia is part of a wider issue and it is the growing number of phobias, homophobia, islamaphobia and cameraphobia is another manifestation of social media news cycle. This rule even goes as far as not allowing parents to take photos of their own children at some sporting events as other children may be photographed.As the journalists points out, children are far more likely to be abused - emotionally and physically by someone they know.

I understand that most rules are made to protect the majority from stupid actions by the minority and in this instance this fear is a developed country first world fear. Some years ago I travelled overseas, took photos of families and children, got their name and address and when I got home sent prints I had taken to them at no charge. Thay had no photos at all of their children

Just like all muslims are not terrorists, all people with cameras who are taking photos of children do not have bad intentions.

Taking this rule to the extreme, imagine if no one was allowed to take photos of other children, I am sure that adults without children or mature people would miss out on a lot of happiness.

Just like banning cars as a result of car accidents, stopping other people from taking photos of children in public places will not stop paedophilia. Portrait competitons would not include photos of children but nothing is more common than the lack of common sense.

Roo - I understand you are not having a go and I have looked at it from the other side. I respect your opinion (and all other opinions), I am expressing mine and hope that you can see it from my perspective also.
    Last edited by markdphotography; 18-08-2017 at 11:04pm.