Thread: From Jim's Mowing to Jim's... umm.. Photography

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

From Jim's Mowing to Jim's... umm.. Photography

Clicky HERE

and feel free to discuss.
    Last edited by ricktas; 08-08-2017 at 1:54pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you like fries with your photos Sir?
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All good. Mows your lawn, does your books and then takes your wedding photos all on the same day
    Matt
    CC always appreciated

My Website
    A Blog of sorts

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattNQ View Post
    All good. Mows your lawn, does your books and then takes your wedding photos all on the same day
    You forgot to get the dog washed.

Can't have a smelly pooch at the wedding.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Maybe I need to get them to come round, take some photos and clean my dog..cause he had fun in a mud hole this morning...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gawd!! What next .......

Jim's DumbDown Service .... we promise to take any reputable occupation, pursuit or intellectually stimulating activity and reduce it to the lowest point on the IQ scale possible. Do you have surplus brain cells? Let Jim remove them for just a once off payment of everything you've got plus anything you might have in the future. We guarantee peace of mind ... er, sorry, a piece of your mind will never be the same again.

Where do I sign !!!!

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim's Rodeos - Watch Jim buck too
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my favourite Jims business (suspect it may not be legit)
    https://i.imgur.com/Mo4jb54.jpg

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would just like to make it known that I do not personally endorse this service.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    I would just like to make it known that I do not personally endorse this service.
    Maybe not, but you do have an ready-made alternative if you want to change your avatar.
    Andrew

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, if the market is there, is it the suppliers fault that what is required is something you consider dumbed down.
    What I find interesting is that it costs $22.5k, and they guarantee $50k over the next 9 months. So if I do nothing for 9 months I double my investment! Where do I sign?
    My Flickr Site
    Instagram _alex_ham_

Gear - Canon 5D mkIII, 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS, nifty 50, 75-300 f4-5.6. Sigma SD Quattro H, Sigma 35 mm Art, Sigma 85 mm Art, Canon G1X MkII, Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, iPhone.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    Unfortunately, if the market is there, is it the suppliers fault that what is required is something you consider dumbed down.
    What I find interesting is that it costs $22.5k, and they guarantee $50k over the next 9 months. So if I do nothing for 9 months I double my investment! Where do I sign?
    You omitted the cost of the startup package, which they fail to mention the actual cost of.
    Territories are available in your area from$22,500 plus a start up package of promotional and marketing material, vehicle sign writing, uniforms, laptop and software, AIPP membership, website, marketing assistance, display albums, photographic equipment and much much more.
    As the startup package includes all that stuff, which most photographers already have, I suspect it's not cheap to get.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    Glad you mentioned that because I just thought I understood wrong. But yeah, not a bad deal if you a, had $22.5k to spare and b, were unemployed.

To give up a job to give this a go, however, may not be a wise move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Jim's Mowing to Jim's... umm.. Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff79 View Post
    Glad you mentioned that because I just thought I understood wrong. But yeah, not a bad deal if you a, had $22.5k to spare and b, were unemployed.

To give up a job to give this a go, however, may not be a wise move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I suspect that what is actually guaranteed is, as it says, work, rather than income. And while they may value it at 1400 the customer might not.
    But for someone who's thinking about starting a business it could be a start, with a target to outgrow it and sell up or maybe run another business in parallel using the knowledge and contacts gained. A bit like how a supplier will have a premium version of a product, but also grab the lower end of the market by also selling it in a cheaper package for a lower margin.

Plays with Light has probably got a point re the start up package too.
    Last edited by Hamster; 08-08-2017 at 6:46pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From AIPP

"A few members have asked us to comment on the recent advert from the startup business, Jim's Photography.

So to clarify...
    The AIPP has no official nor unofficial relationship with Jim's Photography. We have not endorsed nor condemned this business. We are however aware that one of the two owners of this start up business, Mark Hill is an ex AIPP member. Mark approached us some months ago to ask if there was any way the AIPP could provide a pathway for any Jim's photographer to become an Accredited Professional Photographer, as he was a firm believer in the AIPP Professional Development program and he wanted his business to be a part of, and respect the profession of photography.

Our response was simple. Accreditation can only be awarded to an individual photographer (not a business) and our accreditation requirements are certified by the ACCC. Any Jim's photographer who wanted to become an Accredited Professional would need to go through the same process as every other applicant. We did suggest to them that if they wanted their photographers to benefit from our professional development program, and if they did want to respect the profession, they should encourage their franchisees to become AIPP emerging members, and develop their skills and business practices along the way to becoming accredited, like all other new entrants into the profession.

It seems that they took this advice...
    Their business model suggests that every successful franchise applicant will have their AIPP emerging membership funded out of their franchise fee. They will still need to go through the same application process as any other emerging member and will be subject to the same portfolio review as all emerging member applicants.

Sadly, what they did wrong was to suggest in their initial advert on Gumtree that applicants would become "Accredited Professional Photographers".

When we became aware of this we informed them they were guilty of the tort of "passing off". They very quickly removed any reference to this term and apologised profusely for their mistake (blaming their copywriters). This demonstrates that, as we have done in the past, we will react swiftly and strongly to protect the "Accredited Professional Photographer" brand.

BUT...we have to be aware that this initiative is representative of a new kind of business model, a "disruption" model heralded by the likes of Snappr and Unsplash. The entry pathways into our profession is changing as a result of many factors, and we, the AIPP have to be constantly aware of these changes and disruptions and be prepared to react appropriately.
    long live

http://www.birdphotographyworkshops.com.au

Canon R7, and a lot of other bits and bobs

Austog Irregular Regular markdphotography's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting reading

Interesting reading. Strong claims made by Jim's but I see this no differently to purchasing say a photography business and as such paying "goodwill" for an existing business (AIPP claims aside). The real challenge that any business that has intellectual property as an asset is how does the owner sell the business when they want to relocate, retire or change business? It appears they have a lot of confidence in their business model and have failed to attract photographers from traditional methods. On saying that I am not sure that Gumtree is the best marketing method to attract potentil clients. ON saying that Jim's Mowing have been a long established franchise that have continued to expand and prosper? As a photogrphaer and small business owner, I purchased a picture framing business in 2010 to compliment my photography skills. From personal exprience (I also have a MBA), the road to making and growing a photography business is a long and tough journey. I have entered and won many competitions and exhibitions and even had an exhibition at Tweed Galery in 2012 that was reasonably successful (around $9,000 is sales). Building a photography business when the whole world is a photographer is a tough road and I don't see it getting easier in the near future.
    Cameras capture light, minds capture images.

Website Facebook

Austog Irregular Regular markdphotography's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sent them an email last week via their website - 5 working days later no reply. Must be flat out mowing lawns.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ve been giggling all the way reading all the comments here.
    But looking at the bright side, this might be an opportunity? who knows. They have the network and having a large network is the key to succesful business sometimes...
    Franchise fee is the question tho, and if it is worth to pay such fee? Basically what they do is advertise and advertise. They have Jims everything so the brands might click to people's mind? who knows.
    Might also be an opportunity for an existing business to increase their market coverage and portfolio? Maybe people will look for Jim when they want to wed? Could be. If the price is right and the portfolio is ready to be viewed, I would if price is right (on my next wedding maybe lol)

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mdj101711 View Post
    They have the network and having a large network is the key to succesful business sometimes...
    Yeah ..... "sometimes" is the operative word! I must admit that whenever i see the phrase "Jim's (anything)" I turn off. I once got a quote from a franchisee, and it was so much higher than non-franchised people. Problem is, you have to sacrifice your autonomy and a big front end cut before you start making money, and the customers pay that mark-up! These days advertising is so much easier with the web - you can do it so cheaply!

Mind you, I'd hate to start a photographic business ..... too many cameras out there, and I know so many photographers who could do a great job at a fraction of the cost of professionals. Sorry to all the pros out there, but I think it's a cow of a way to make a living these days. (I'll just go to my bomb shelter .....) 8*)

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob, belay that thought!!! I reckon that with a monosyllabic name like yours you could be stiff
    competition to the likes of Jim's.

Imagine chains of enterprises like:
    Bob't Mauling
    Bob't Bandanas
    Bob't Plum...-bobs

The list is endless... (except I seem to have come to the end)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast