Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: From Jim's Mowing to Jim's... umm.. Photography

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Bob, belay that thought!!! I reckon that with a monosyllabic name like yours you could be stiff
    competition to the likes of Jim's.

Imagine chains of enterprises like:
    Bob't Mauling
    Bob't Bandanas
    Bob't Plum...-bobs

The list is endless... (except I seem to have come to the end)
    You forgot the appeal to an untapped market .... the dyslexics !! Spell my name backwards and no-one notices the difference.

True story: I ordered a coffee once at Tullamarine, and the guy asks customer's names so that he can call them when the coffee is ready. He said "What's your name?" I said "Bob". He said "How do you spell that ?"

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bobt, I think it is the same as every business. Look how many cafes out there but yet a new cafe still pops up every now and then. And I think , there are more baristas or even cooks (or those who claim knows how to cook) than photographers . And some new cafes do make a good job and do survive. I think it is the same with photography, yes everyone can buy a cheap aps-c dslr or even a second hand full frame and 2-3 lenses and print a business card telling everyone he is a photographer and cut prince down, but in the end it comes to how he gives the best service, and not just that, I think we are talking about talent here and talents are sometimes unique and has its own niche market. A starter photographer might undercut others for his service but he wont survive if he keeps doing that, and that is if he got the talent. If I am going to get married, I want my photographer to seize that happy moment, not just because he is cheap. If he is cheap and shoot crap pics I d rather employ my nephew to do it with his old IXUS digital camera.

I met a lady photographer at my local camera shop in ringwood. She works there almost everyday and she regularly exhibits her landscape photography works at her local market, went to her website and boy, that girls got talent. I love her works. Simple but nice.

I have seen some PRO photographer galleries that dont interest me at all, but I've seen galleries of amateur photographers like that lady photographer, that I like better. Photography is an art, if I have the talent for it, I wouldnt mind to make it a little venture and sell your work of art, it is your hard work after all. As for me, I think it is bit too late to make a venture out of it, with 3 little boys and a steady job, I dont think I can get out of the comfort zone and try something that I am not even confident i have the talent for it haha. So, I would rather stay as an amateur , just for a hobby. It is a good hobby to clear out your head and see many things wonderful and make new friends

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mdj101711 View Post
    I have seen some PRO photographer galleries that dont interest me at all, but I've seen galleries of amateur photographers like that lady photographer, that I like better. Photography is an art, if I have the talent for it, I wouldnt mind to make it a little venture and sell your work of art, it is your hard work after all. As for me, I think it is bit too late to make a venture out of it, with 3 little boys and a steady job, I dont think I can get out of the comfort zone and try something that I am not even confident i have the talent for it haha. So, I would rather stay as an amateur , just for a hobby. It is a good hobby to clear out your head and see many things wonderful and make new friends
    Exactly. I've seen some amazing amateurs in camera clubs - some of them are right here! I've also looked at lots of pros whose work really isn't all that exceptional (to my eyes, anyway). If I was looking for a photographer, I think I'd be looking at the amateurs who take great photos but don't have to earn a living from it. Once you start relying on it for a living you have to pay for all the trimmings of a pro, and that boosts the whole cost of it. Same deal with lots of things these days - the overheads for someone trying to earn a living mean that we have to pay more for their services, but if you can bypass that obstacle everyone wins (except the pros). Airtasker is one such example, as is eBay and all of the other marketplaces which have done away with the bricks and mortar base.

It's a changing world, and I for one am very glad I no longer have to earn a living. That's often a precarious necessity these days - especially when resources which were previously only available to professionals are now in the hands of every man and his dog.

Austog Irregular Regular markdphotography's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markdphotography View Post
    I sent them an email last week via their website - 5 working days later no reply. Must be flat out mowing lawns.
    Update

I got this email late October

Thanksfor your interest in Jim's Photography and Drones, Australia's newest lifestylebusiness.

Wehave received an inordinate amount of enquiries and we are still working onclearing the backlog.

I'dlove to help answer any questions you might have so could I suggest a briefchat by phone to initially acquaint each other and make sure our goals align.I'd like to find out about your experience, your current situation and yourpersonal reason for looking into this opportunity at this time.

Couldyou either call me back on ??????????? or forward a contact number and good timeto call?

Thanksagain for your interest.

I replied

A little disappointed that the response has been so long (over 2 ½ months) and I have pursued other options at this stage.

I hope your franchise support system can adjust to all the enquiries and assist franchisees better if I was to follow this up any further.

Please remove me from your Expression Of Interest list.

There still may be an opening for Bob's Drones?
    Cameras capture light, minds capture images.

Website Facebook

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12