User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  9

Thread: Can you open multiple JPEG images in camera raw using cs6?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you open multiple JPEG images in camera raw using cs6?

Hey guys, been browsing google all afternoon and found a few supposed solutions to this but they don't work.

I can open single JPEG images in camera raw, but I have so many holiday snaps to get through and was hoping to batch process some. The raw/dng stuff is fine, but is there any way to open multiple JPEG images in camera raw, using adobe bridge and cs6?

I keep getting the msg "camera raw editing is not enabled. Camera raw editing requires that a qualifying product has been launched at least once to enable this feature."

If someone had the answer to this I am offering a free cyber hug as a reward. Thanks please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can hold that hug - cyber or not - but perhaps these two links will get you started...

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2072557

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2273280
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    You can hold that hug - cyber or not - but perhaps these two links will get you started...

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2072557

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2273280
    Thanks mate, but I got variations on that today and it doesn't really help. I thought I had the answer in opening file in ps, then going to file >browse in bridge and then once in bridge supposedly you could click on multiple JPEG images and it'd open. But no, it didn't work. That seemed to be my best chance but I wonder if it just isn't possible? I know it was in earlier versions of camera raw.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm! That's what I would've thought too. Do you have a proprietary
    raw converter, like View NX or Canon's DPP? Perhaps that would do
    the batch work?

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff79 View Post
    Hey guys, been browsing google all afternoon and found a few supposed solutions to this but they don't work.

I can open single JPEG images in camera raw, but I have so many holiday snaps to get through and was hoping to batch process some. The raw/dng stuff is fine, but is there any way to open multiple JPEG images in camera raw, using adobe bridge and cs6?

I keep getting the msg "camera raw editing is not enabled. Camera raw editing requires that a qualifying product has been launched at least once to enable this feature."

If someone had the answer to this I am offering a free cyber hug as a reward. Thanks please.

Hi Geoff

This does appear to work in PS CC and Bridge/ACR as shown in the attached screen capture.

Basically, I launched Bridge (CC) and then on the Film Strip (lower screen) I selected all the JPGs in that Folder then <Right Clicked> to get the Pop Up Menu which offer the Option to "Open in Camera Raw.

The 2nd screen print shows all the files in Camera Raw (LHS of screen capture).

However, I note that you are using CS6 and the error message you are getting seems related to a "qualifying product"..????

Cheers

Dennis
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nardes; 02-08-2017 at 5:49pm.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm! That's what I would've thought too. Do you have a proprietary
    raw converter, like View NX or Canon's DPP? Perhaps that would do
    the batch work?
    Nah, don't have those. Would those programs convert the jpegs to a format I can open in raw?

I have the adobe dng converter as camera raw doesn't read my raw files from the 70d. That's okay for the raw stuff but I have wondered if I try to convert the jpegs to dng files? Which automatically open in camera raw. Not even sure I can convert JPEG to dng but thought it worth a look if no answer to this.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nardes View Post
    Hi Geoff

This does appear to work in PS CC and Bridge/ACR as shown in the attached screen capture.

Basically, I launched Bridge (CC) and then on the Film Strip (lower screen) I selected all the JPGs in that Folder then <Right Clicked> to get the Pop Up Menu which offer the Option to "Open in Camera Raw.

The 2nd screen print shows all the files in Camera Raw (LHS of screen capture).

However, I note that you are using CS6 and the error message you are getting seems related to a "qualifying product"..????

Cheers

Dennis
    Thanks Dennis, yeah, still using cs6 and when I try that click and open in camera raw option is when I get the error message.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From memory, CS6 is similar to CC for this.....Go to Edit > Preference > Camera Raw, and then under JPEG Handling select 'Automatically open all supported JPEGs'

Get all the files you want to edit in one place, select all (Ctrl A), then 'drag and drop' into PS, normally on the R/hand side where the layers are.
    With CS6 you may have to drop near the top...it's been a while

It's important that you drag them in there. If you open them from PS...it'll only let you work on 1 file at a time...it will 'auto load' the next when you've finished, but they won't stack.

Just tried in CC with success...
    Hope that works for you, if so, I'll take a 'virtual beer' in-place of that hug
    If you replace the 'W' with 'T' in When, Where and What, you get the answer for each question.
    CC more than welcome. Remember, I can't be offended so go for it. Feel free to post your ideas with an edit if you have time. Thanks in advance.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    From memory, CS6 is similar to CC for this.....Go to Edit > Preference > Camera Raw, and then under JPEG Handling select 'Automatically open all supported JPEGs'

Get all the files you want to edit in one place, select all (Ctrl A), then 'drag and drop' into PS, normally on the R/hand side where the layers are.
    With CS6 you may have to drop near the top...it's been a while

It's important that you drag them in there. If you open them from PS...it'll only let you work on 1 file at a time...it will 'auto load' the next when you've finished, but they won't stack.

Just tried in CC with success...
    Hope that works for you, if so, I'll take a 'virtual beer' in-place of that hug
    Thanks, Gaz. Gonna be a couple of hours before I'm in front of my laptop again this evening, but I haven't seen that one anywhere today so I'm going to go in hopeful when I try it out. It sounds good, if nothing else.

Disappointed to see my hug has been so poorly received by everyone, but I guess I can arrange an e-beer. If it works, of course.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Gaz. Gonna be a couple of hours before I'm in front of my laptop again this evening, but I haven't seen that one anywhere today so I'm going to go in hopeful when I try it out. It sounds good, if nothing else.

Disappointed to see my hug has been so poorly received by everyone, but I guess I can arrange an e-beer. If it works, of course.

As I've mentioned, and if it works...the important part is the 'drag an drop'...you may have to experiment where you actually 'drop' them though...cheers.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Preface: I think an outline of your workflow would be helpful, as it seems to me that there may be some room
    for streamlining.

...Would those programs convert the jpegs to a format I can open in raw? ...
    These programs - in your case Canon DPP - convert Canon raw files to other formats, like tiff, jpeg...
    BUT, they allow you do do some editing first of the typically 14-bit data contained in your raw file. Finally, you
    typically save the result as an 8-bit jpeg, with restricted image information in it.

Now, when you say the above quote, are you only shooting in and later opening jpegs in ACR? Is there any raw format
    stage? You mention "raw files" in the quote below, and now to that...

...I have the adobe dng converter as camera raw doesn't read my raw files from the 70d. That's okay for the raw stuff but I have wondered if I try to convert the jpegs to dng files? Which automatically open in camera raw. Not even sure I can convert JPEG to dng but thought it worth a look if no answer to this...
    DNG stands for digital negative. It is a "sort of Adobe open standard raw file" (my understanding). As such, it has a higher bandwidth
    - ie, it has more bits per channel - than a jpeg has. Converting from a jpeg to a dng would not have much benefit except that you
    can use ACR.

What you should try to do is convert your Canon raw files to DNG. That would keep much of the original raw data AND allow you to
    use ACR on that. Eventually you'd save as a jpeg.

It seems to me (and I am happy to be told I'm wrong) that your "problem" is driven by workflow needs.

I think if I had a Canon - or Nikon - I would exploit everything I could from the proprietary software, rather
    than take a hit in data loss from using 3rd-party stuff. (This point of view is open to challenge.)

Edit: re-position this line that got moved somehow:
    That's all I can offer, and I will look with interest at other replies.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 02-08-2017 at 6:34pm.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Geoff
    I had similar if not the same problem with my bridge/ACR some time ago. I'm not sure what was the cause of it but was getting annoying you simply couldn't load any JPEG's two camera raw. I can't really remember what I did specifically to solve my problem, but it was something like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIxUh0vJXOw this link should help.

Ray
    Ray

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96985007@N05/

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I've mentioned, and if it works...the important part is the 'drag an drop'...you may have to experiment where you actually 'drop' them though...cheers.
    Yeah mate, this is the part I seem to be struggling with. Photoshop won't allow the dragged photos to be dropped anywhere on the PS screen.

But what has happened, is that in Bridge under Preferences > General > and then I tick 'Double Click Edits Camera Raw Settings In Camera Raw.

So I've ticked that box and now I can highlight the amount of JPEGs I want and when I double click the highlighted pile it opens up in Camera Raw. The problem? There's only one image. When I press 'Done' the next one appears, and so on. But they're not stacked on the side like normal, so you can highlight a few at one time and do the same edits on whatever is highlighted. Which is basically the whole point of opening several items at once.

I'll read the rest of the posts and see how I go. Thanks heaps for your help and getting me going in the right direction.

- - - Updated - - -

Preface: I think an outline of your workflow would be helpful, as it seems to me that there may be some room
    for streamlining.

These programs - in your case Canon DPP - convert Canon raw files to other formats, like tiff, jpeg...
    BUT, they allow you do do some editing first of the typically 14-bit data contained in your raw file. Finally, you
    typically save the result as an 8-bit jpeg, with restricted image information in it.

Now, when you say the above quote, are you only shooting in and later opening jpegs in ACR? Is there any raw format
    stage? You mention "raw files" in the quote below, and now to that...

DNG stands for digital negative. It is a "sort of Adobe open standard raw file" (my understanding). As such, it has a higher bandwidth
    - ie, it has more bits per channel - than a jpeg has. Converting from a jpeg to a dng would not have much benefit except that you
    can use ACR.

What you should try to do is convert your Canon raw files to DNG. That would keep much of the original raw data AND allow you to
    use ACR on that. Eventually you'd save as a jpeg.

It seems to me (and I am happy to be told I'm wrong) that your "problem" is driven by workflow needs.

I think if I had a Canon - or Nikon - I would exploit everything I could from the proprietary software, rather
    than take a hit in data loss from using 3rd-party stuff. (This point of view is open to challenge.)

Edit: re-position this line that got moved somehow:
    That's all I can offer, and I will look with interest at other replies.
    Okay, quick rundown of what/why/when/where I'm needing/using this for.

I hadn't been shooting in RAW for many years for a few reasons, most of them silly and mostly to do with my severe lack of PP skills. But just recently, as in the week before I left for my holiday to Vanuatu, I decided to try shooting in RAW again, but only really for my landscape shots. Most the shots of the kids I'm happy to try and get right in JPEG, however, that will probably not be the case from now on. My love for RAW files has returned, thoroughly.

On holiday, I woke up every morning for a sunrise shoot and always shot that in RAW, but afterwards the rest of the day was in JPEG. The main reason? I filled up a 32GB memory card in five days, and if I'd shot in RAW the whole time that would have been two days, no kidding. And I didn't want to run out of cards on holiday, so I kept to that routine - RAW in the morning, and JPEG at all other times unless conditions specifically called for RAW (really harsh lighting).

So, when I got back I go into EOS Utility and load all the pics on my PC. The end result is a mix of RAW and JPEG files. First thing I did was convert all RAW files to DNG (as that is the only way my version of Camera Raw can read RAW files). I've then sorted the JPEG files into ones with good enough lighting that I'll just quickly straighten and sharpen in PS. But there's also folders of JPEG images where the lighting needs tweaking in ACR. These are the ones I want to batch process in ACR.

And yeah, my suggestion for converting JPEG images to DNG would purely only be so I can open them in ACR easily if I can't find a way to just open the straight JPEG files in batches in ACR.

As for the Canon software, I know my brother-in-law pretty much just uses his Nikon software and that's it. It probably isn't a bad idea for me to have a deeper look into what software I got with my camera. To be totally honest, I don't even know what I got.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photoshop won't allow the dragged photos to be dropped anywhere on the PS screen.
    Maybe a windows prob......?

If that doesn't work, I have a nagging feeling that I had to drop files on the tool bar across the top in CS6...sorry, the memory is slipping....anyone else know????
    Once you have the 'dragging' part sorted they will stack in ACR and you'll be able to 'Click Shift' or 'Ctrl Click' a number of files and make changes to that entire group

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raysul View Post
    Hello Geoff
    I had similar if not the same problem with my bridge/ACR some time ago. I'm not sure what was the cause of it but was getting annoying you simply couldn't load any JPEG's two camera raw. I can't really remember what I did specifically to solve my problem, but it was something like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIxUh0vJXOw this link should help.

Ray
    Thanks Ray, this looks like the kind of thing I thought and hoped I might find. Only problem I should have mentioned above is that I'm using a Mac.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe a windows prob......?

If that doesn't work, I have a nagging feeling that I had to drop files on the tool bar across the top in CS6...sorry, the memory is slipping....anyone else know????
    Once you have the 'dragging' part sorted they will stack in ACR and you'll be able to 'Click Shift' or 'Ctrl Click' a number of files and make changes to that entire group
    Could the fact I am using a Mac and I assume you're on a PC be the issue here too?

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could the fact I am using a Mac and I assume you're on a PC be the issue here too?
    Bugger..!! think you mention 'Mac' up the top somewhere?..my apologies.

​Hopefully someone else maybe able to jump in and help with that side of things then?

So much for winning that virtual beer.... I'll havta go to bed thirsty.....

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But what has happened, is that in Bridge under Preferences > General > and then I tick 'Double Click Edits Camera Raw Settings In Camera Raw.

So I've ticked that box and now I can highlight the amount of JPEGs I want and when I double click the highlighted pile it opens up in Camera Raw. The problem? There's only one image. When I press 'Done' the next one appears, and so on. But they're not stacked on the side like normal, so you can highlight a few at one time and do the same edits on whatever is highlighted. Which is basically the whole point of opening several items at once.
    Okay, so this seems to have worked, after the initial hiccup.

I can now highlight multiple JPEGs in Adobe Bridge and when I right click and Open, they open up in ACR, with the filmstrip down the left hand side so I can edit multiple images at one time.

So it seems to have been as simple as this step;

Go into Adobe Bridge, go to Preferences > General > and then I tick 'Double Click Edits Camera Raw Settings In Camera Raw.

- - - Updated - - -

Bugger..!! think you mention 'Mac' up the top somewhere?..my apologies.

​Hopefully someone else maybe able to jump in and help with that side of things then?

So much for winning that virtual beer.... I'll havta go to bed thirsty.....https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...qTbMNZf-Ti.gif
    No worries mate. Don't worry, the beer isn't going to waste. It's quite nice, actually. Heavy, but nice.

- - - Updated - - -

General thanks to all the replies in this thread anyway. Appreciate the help, guys.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geoff. From your reply above, it sounds like you're not all at sea

Listen. It may sound a drag, but next time you go on hols, take a small laptop with you
    to download and store your day's images.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geoff. From your reply above, it sounds like you're not all at sea

Listen. It may sound a drag, but next time you go on hols, take a small laptop with you
    to download and store your day's images.
    Haha, trust me mate, I have considered it like no one's business. But one of the things I love about my holidays is getting away from all that (computers and phones and stuff) and as much as I can tell myself it'd just be to upload photos, I'd hope I could trust myself. Would I find myself sifting and sorting through images every night before bed? I imagine my wife would dread to see the laptop make an appearance whilst on holiday too, lol.

But seriously, what I'm getting from RAW at the moment compared to JPEG will probably make the decision for me in the future. Because there's no doubt about it, if I am going to shoot exclusively in RAW, I will need to be uploading photos as I go.