Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
As I've mentioned, and if it works...the important part is the 'drag an drop'...you may have to experiment where you actually 'drop' them though...cheers.
Yeah mate, this is the part I seem to be struggling with. Photoshop won't allow the dragged photos to be dropped anywhere on the PS screen.

But what has happened, is that in Bridge under Preferences > General > and then I tick 'Double Click Edits Camera Raw Settings In Camera Raw.

So I've ticked that box and now I can highlight the amount of JPEGs I want and when I double click the highlighted pile it opens up in Camera Raw. The problem? There's only one image. When I press 'Done' the next one appears, and so on. But they're not stacked on the side like normal, so you can highlight a few at one time and do the same edits on whatever is highlighted. Which is basically the whole point of opening several items at once.

I'll read the rest of the posts and see how I go. Thanks heaps for your help and getting me going in the right direction.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
Preface: I think an outline of your workflow would be helpful, as it seems to me that there may be some room
for streamlining.

These programs - in your case Canon DPP - convert Canon raw files to other formats, like tiff, jpeg...
BUT, they allow you do do some editing first of the typically 14-bit data contained in your raw file. Finally, you
typically save the result as an 8-bit jpeg, with restricted image information in it.

Now, when you say the above quote, are you only shooting in and later opening jpegs in ACR? Is there any raw format
stage? You mention "raw files" in the quote below, and now to that...

DNG stands for digital negative. It is a "sort of Adobe open standard raw file" (my understanding). As such, it has a higher bandwidth
- ie, it has more bits per channel - than a jpeg has. Converting from a jpeg to a dng would not have much benefit except that you
can use ACR.

What you should try to do is convert your Canon raw files to DNG. That would keep much of the original raw data AND allow you to
use ACR on that. Eventually you'd save as a jpeg.

It seems to me (and I am happy to be told I'm wrong) that your "problem" is driven by workflow needs.

I think if I had a Canon - or Nikon - I would exploit everything I could from the proprietary software, rather
than take a hit in data loss from using 3rd-party stuff. (This point of view is open to challenge.)

Edit: re-position this line that got moved somehow:
That's all I can offer, and I will look with interest at other replies.
Okay, quick rundown of what/why/when/where I'm needing/using this for.

I hadn't been shooting in RAW for many years for a few reasons, most of them silly and mostly to do with my severe lack of PP skills. But just recently, as in the week before I left for my holiday to Vanuatu, I decided to try shooting in RAW again, but only really for my landscape shots. Most the shots of the kids I'm happy to try and get right in JPEG, however, that will probably not be the case from now on. My love for RAW files has returned, thoroughly.

On holiday, I woke up every morning for a sunrise shoot and always shot that in RAW, but afterwards the rest of the day was in JPEG. The main reason? I filled up a 32GB memory card in five days, and if I'd shot in RAW the whole time that would have been two days, no kidding. And I didn't want to run out of cards on holiday, so I kept to that routine - RAW in the morning, and JPEG at all other times unless conditions specifically called for RAW (really harsh lighting).

So, when I got back I go into EOS Utility and load all the pics on my PC. The end result is a mix of RAW and JPEG files. First thing I did was convert all RAW files to DNG (as that is the only way my version of Camera Raw can read RAW files). I've then sorted the JPEG files into ones with good enough lighting that I'll just quickly straighten and sharpen in PS. But there's also folders of JPEG images where the lighting needs tweaking in ACR. These are the ones I want to batch process in ACR.

And yeah, my suggestion for converting JPEG images to DNG would purely only be so I can open them in ACR easily if I can't find a way to just open the straight JPEG files in batches in ACR.

As for the Canon software, I know my brother-in-law pretty much just uses his Nikon software and that's it. It probably isn't a bad idea for me to have a deeper look into what software I got with my camera. To be totally honest, I don't even know what I got.