User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  9

Thread: Can you open multiple JPEG images in camera raw using cs6?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Hmm! That's what I would've thought too. Do you have a proprietary
    raw converter, like View NX or Canon's DPP? Perhaps that would do
    the batch work?
    Nah, don't have those. Would those programs convert the jpegs to a format I can open in raw?

I have the adobe dng converter as camera raw doesn't read my raw files from the 70d. That's okay for the raw stuff but I have wondered if I try to convert the jpegs to dng files? Which automatically open in camera raw. Not even sure I can convert JPEG to dng but thought it worth a look if no answer to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Preface: I think an outline of your workflow would be helpful, as it seems to me that there may be some room
    for streamlining.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff79 View Post
    ...Would those programs convert the jpegs to a format I can open in raw? ...
    These programs - in your case Canon DPP - convert Canon raw files to other formats, like tiff, jpeg...
    BUT, they allow you do do some editing first of the typically 14-bit data contained in your raw file. Finally, you
    typically save the result as an 8-bit jpeg, with restricted image information in it.

Now, when you say the above quote, are you only shooting in and later opening jpegs in ACR? Is there any raw format
    stage? You mention "raw files" in the quote below, and now to that...

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff79 View Post
    ...I have the adobe dng converter as camera raw doesn't read my raw files from the 70d. That's okay for the raw stuff but I have wondered if I try to convert the jpegs to dng files? Which automatically open in camera raw. Not even sure I can convert JPEG to dng but thought it worth a look if no answer to this...
    DNG stands for digital negative. It is a "sort of Adobe open standard raw file" (my understanding). As such, it has a higher bandwidth
    - ie, it has more bits per channel - than a jpeg has. Converting from a jpeg to a dng would not have much benefit except that you
    can use ACR.

What you should try to do is convert your Canon raw files to DNG. That would keep much of the original raw data AND allow you to
    use ACR on that. Eventually you'd save as a jpeg.

It seems to me (and I am happy to be told I'm wrong) that your "problem" is driven by workflow needs.

I think if I had a Canon - or Nikon - I would exploit everything I could from the proprietary software, rather
    than take a hit in data loss from using 3rd-party stuff. (This point of view is open to challenge.)

Edit: re-position this line that got moved somehow:
    That's all I can offer, and I will look with interest at other replies.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 02-08-2017 at 6:34pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.