Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Bland Skies In Photoshop

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    ....Every time i see a nice sky, I take a photo and file it away under "skies"....
    I do a very similar thing...just realised I spelt 'Skies' wrong! OK, now I do the same thing...
    We should have a buy sell or exchange one day
    If you replace the 'W' with 'T' in When, Where and What, you get the answer for each question.
    CC more than welcome. Remember, I can't be offended so go for it. Feel free to post your ideas with an edit if you have time. Thanks in advance.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I might have expressed that badly. The special group is for teaching members how to do it, not for a separate comp! They accept anything in comps, basically because there's no way of drawing a line in the sand between a modified image and one straight out of the camera.

I remember being struck by an excerpt from the comp rules of a club in NSW a few years back. It said something like "We know that pigs don't fly, but if you take the photo of the pig and you also photograph the wings then put them both together, then that's fine by us!"

I had a conversation here a while back, and also with another club member with a string of letters after her name - because I was concerned that today's filters introduce things into images that are not real. Both effectively said that there were no boundaries any more. I tend to think that there are boundaries, but I'm not sure where that line should or could be drawn, or how you'd police it. It's a can of worms if ever i saw one !!!
    My misunderstanding, Bob. It certainly is an interesting one, with Photoshop composites in the right hands being impossible to tell. Whether they should be judged against folks that prefer the straight out of camera look and approach is a conundrum indeed. I seem to be amongst a minority on the interwebz these days that doesn't really enjoy colour images with the selective artificially and overly lit or the unrealistically illuminated images that are loved by so many. They tend to look too CGI for my eye, rather than photo-realistic, but each to their own I guess. When it comes to B&W long exposures, I do enjoy the unrealistic lighting that is the current trend for it. And that's the beauty of photography, that everyone can explore and further refine what they enjoy about it.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plays With Light View Post
    ...I have Jimmy's Luminosity Masking plugin, but am yet to use it...
    Did ya get 'InstaMask' as well? Think it came free if you had already paid out for 'Raya Pro'

I'm now finding 'InstaMask' slightly easier to use as long as ya don't want to radically change things, just enhance what's there.

Cheers -

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Did ya get 'InstaMask' as well? Think it came free if you had already paid out for 'Raya Pro'

I'm now finding 'InstaMask' slightly easier to use as long as ya don't want to radically change things, just enhance what's there.

Cheers -
    I haven't grabbed InstaMask as yet, Gazza, but can get it for free as you mentioned. One day, when I feel a lot more confident with Photoshop I'll play and learn how to use them to full advantage.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My misunderstanding, Bob. It certainly is an interesting one, with Photoshop composites in the right hands being impossible to tell. Whether they should be judged against folks that prefer the straight out of camera look and approach is a conundrum indeed. I seem to be amongst a minority on the interwebz these days that doesn't really enjoy colour images with the selective artificially and overly lit or the unrealistically illuminated images that are loved by so many. They tend to look too CGI for my eye, rather than photo-realistic, but each to their own I guess. When it comes to B&W long exposures, I do enjoy the unrealistic lighting that is the current trend for it. And that's the beauty of photography, that everyone can explore and further refine what they enjoy about it.
    Yup ... the whole range of options available to us is mind boggling. I think photography must have a broader capacity than just about any other hobby. Young or old, fit or handicapped - there is something for everyone. Except young attractive nudes .... my wife has an embargo on those.

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    Well blended around the rocks. The only problem is the ocean is reflecting a much brighter sky than is now above it.
    How did l miss that? Thanks Hamster

- - - Updated - - -

Yup ... the whole range of options available to us is mind boggling. I think photography must have a broader capacity than just about any other hobby. Young or old, fit or handicapped - there is something for everyone. Except young attractive nudes .... my wife has an embargo on those.
    LOL

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why is the white sky any more bland than the sky you replaced it with??
    Brighten the eye a bit to help draw attention away from the sky.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Why is the white sky any more bland than the sky you replaced it with??
    Brighten the eye a bit to help draw attention away from the sky.
    I personally find white or grey skies more boring than blue ones and then find plain blue skies more boring than blue skies with clouds.
    I did briefly wonder about lightening the eyes. Thanks for the confirmation that I should have, Mark.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found this very helpful tute by Steve Patterson great because he takes you through the process step by step. http://www.photoshopessentials.com/p...g/replace-sky/
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    I found this very helpful tute by Steve Patterson great because he takes you through the process step by step. http://www.photoshopessentials.com/p...g/replace-sky/
    Thanks for linking to that one, Kev, it seems to be very effective using the 'Blend if Blue' feature! I'll definitely give it a try, now to create a library of cloud images to draw upon.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for linking to that one, Kev, it seems to be very effective using the 'Blend if Blue' feature! I'll definitely give it a try, now to create a library of cloud images to draw upon.
    I'm about to do the same and was thinking I'll have to do them at different times of the day and multiple directions to allow shadows to look right.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm about to do the same and was thinking I'll have to do them at different times of the day and multiple directions to allow shadows to look right.
    Good point, Kev. Wouldn't want the light on the clouds to be coming from a different direction to the subject of the image!

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't notice that mentioned in the tutorial.
    (Is that because it goes without saying? Pretty important point, IMO.)
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point, Kev. Wouldn't want the light on the clouds to be coming from a different direction to the subject of the image!
    I was also thinking about how to name the files so I can find the appropriate one when I want it. Like 'AugNW1600' taken in August, facing North West at 4pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I came across this tutorial today. It works really well. It uses the channels in PS. No fringing or other artifacts. So good I thought it was worth sharing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHo9...em-subs_digest

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enseth View Post
    I came across this tutorial today. It works really well. It uses the channels in PS. No fringing or other artifacts. So good I thought it was worth sharing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHo9...em-subs_digest
    That's interesting, Enseth, thanks for sharing it with us.

I discovered this new tutorial from Serge Ramelli which uses the 'Multiply' blend mode and is really simple and quick, but so effective.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...which uses the 'Multiply' blend mode and is really simple and quick, but so effective...
    But not for everything. AFAICT, Multiply "multiplies" the "value of the pixel" by itself, so...
    Brights > brighter
    Mids > "Midder" (actually a bit darker).
    Darks > darker.

That brights > Brighter and darks > darker could lead to blown highlights or irretrievable shadows.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    But not for everything. AFAICT, Multiply "multiplies" the "value of the pixel" by itself, so...
    Brights > brighter
    Mids > "Midder" (actually a bit darker).
    Darks > darker.

That brights > Brighter and darks > darker could lead to blown highlights or irretrievable shadows.
    Thanks for the warning, AM, I tried this 'Multiply' blend technique today with a couple of different skies and had no blown out sections, but I'll definitely keep an eye on it in the future.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have replaced the sky in one of my bird photos with a gradient but I have also used sky images in some of my portraiture. You can buy sets of skies on the web or you can photograph your own to make it cheaper. Just one thing to remember when you do use an image of the sky that you make sure the tones in the rest of the image match the ones in the sky. When purchase some sky images they come with a photoshop action to help with placement and blending.

The image below had a horrible grey sky (it was taken in England). I chose a sky image that had similar tones to the lavender and the grass and then used a photoshop action to warm up the skin tones in the portrait.

_DSC5984-Edit copy.jpg
    Last edited by NikonNellie; 21-08-2017 at 11:12pm.
    CAMERA: Nikon D800, Nikon D7000
    LENSES: AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro, Sigma 10 - 20mm F/4 - 5.6, Sigma 150 - 500mm F/5 - 6.3 APO DG OS, Nikkor 18 - 200mm F/3.5 - 5.6 VRII,
    Sigma 70 - 200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron SP 24 - 70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Sigma 85mm F/1.4 EX DG, Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm F/4 ED VR, Nikkor AF-S 200-500 f/5..6E ED VR
    MY WEBSITES: www.nawimages.com, http://nelliewajzerphotography.smugmug.com/, http://NellieWajzerPhotography.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast