User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  27
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nikon : D850 : teaser : 8K timelapse?

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    I think recent history would suggest that they are likely to have a winner even if they totally stuff all that up, Steve. We're a forgiving lot we Nikon users. (Plus the cameras tend to be pretty good once all the problems are finally sorted out)
    I don't think that is exclusive to Nikon. Samsung recently announced the Note 8 phone. Who could have gotten through last year without hearing about the Note 7 catching fire, and going through two recalls, being banned on planes worldwide etc. Yet, even though all this happened, the pre-orders for the Note 8 are 30% higher than they were for the Note 7. I believe most people are quite willing to give second chances.. but the second time round they better not make the same mistakes again. People will seriously question their dedication to a brand if that brand repeats its mistakes and doesn't learn from them.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    .... I believe most people are quite willing to give second chances.. but the second time round they better not make the same mistakes again. ...
    Second chances LOL!
    From about the time of the D800's release, Nikon has hit rock bottom in terms of quality control. Coincidentally this happened to be at a time when mirrorless cameras were starting to make their mark.
    Some would even suggest that a group of mirrorless manufacturers colluded in bribing Nikon's workers to subvert Nikon's manufacturing process!

But it seems Nikon devotees are much thicker skinned, harder headed, forgiving or just plain sillier than even the worst Samsung tragics!
    Maybe Samsung owners give second chances .. or maybe even third chances!! .. But it seems Nikon owners(still owning Nikons) are far more gracious in having given their 10th or 20th chances!

Me, personally ... I reckon I've fallen into the just plain silliest basket!
    (made worst when they completely destroyed my software workflow setup!)

I think the D850 is going to be the most scrutinised camera, in terms of faults, ever!!
    We're going to read about focusing ability, and high ISO noise ability and the awesome frame rates and whatever other uber feature it oozes ... but there are going to be so many people scrutinising focus accuracy at every focus point, shooting into the brightest light sources man has ever made trying to find flaring issues, and looking for oil splatter on sensors at the micrometer level.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    So Nikon and Canon full frame users are switching to Fuji's PS-C format?
    Problem with surveys are that they're usually filled in by 12-15 year olds with the time to do so .. real users have little time for such trivia!

We know Nikon have lost a lot of sales in the camera department(all manufacturers have!), the vast majority of these lost sales have been in the compact market.
    Nikon's DSLR sales in the last 6 months increased by 10K units(710K to 720K) and this is selling predominantly older models! ... and they 'NEED' a mirrorless model ?

I think that a very important point that these internet chatters forget is that Fuji buyers have to come from somewhere! That is, previously Fuji buyers didn't exist primarily because Fuji barely existed. Then Fuji started making 'different' products and those Fuji customers had to come from somewhere. Some from Nikon some from Canon, others from Pentax .. etc. Some may have even come fresh out of nowhere.
    Same with Sony's quick ascension. For Sony it's been all in the mirrorless market, and a major contraction for them in the DSLR(SLT) category .. and the main reason they lost so many SLT sales is they dropped that market(only one model of the 10 they used to make).

That Nikon is going to make a mirrorless camera is now a given. They've stated this fact.
    But in terms of sales, I don't think it'll cannibalise DLSR all that much, and I've got reservation that it'll be the huge success for them that the internet chatter is predicting(unless it maintains the F-mount)
    It’s a shock for you that full frame users might switch to APSC? Many have and will continue to do so. Most were on full frame because there wasn’t any APSC pro glass, rather than needing full frame. Apparently I’m a 12 year old as well.

I switched to APSC. No loss in quality. I’d go as far as saying 80% of non-pro full frame users don’t actually need full frame. Most enthusiasts don’t even know how to leverage the extra DOF offered by full frame (f/1.4 over 1.8).

Anyway, we are sidetracking king from the original thread direction. The main point was that your statement about Nikon not needing full frame mirrorless is incorrect. The bulk of the pro market (which is what this camera is aimed at) wasn’t really the market at threat from mirrorless (Yet). Other than the A9, the mirrorless camera market is targeted at enthusiast, the $500-$2500 Camera body market. They need FF mirrorless for the market they are bleeding on D600/D700 series users (and perhaps some of the D800 who didn’t need the extra MP). In conjunction to this, if mirrorless does become the future which is a possibility (we can’t predict 5-10 years in technology land), Nikon will have limited experience.
    Last edited by MissionMan; 02-09-2017 at 9:16am.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

But it seems Nikon devotees are much thicker skinned, harder headed, forgiving or just plain sillier than even the worst Samsung tragics!
    Maybe Samsung owners give second chances .. or maybe even third chances!! .. But it seems Nikon owners(still owning Nikons) are far more gracious in having given their 10th or 20th chances!
    This is making the assumption that these people have bought every one of these cameras. My most recent camera is my D800 and it works perfectly fine. I have not considered upgrading so any issues with other models has only ever been a fleeting look at what is going on, rather than a thorough investigation into them.

I doubt anyone has bought every single model as they came out, and thus experiences of their 10th or 20th chance would be probably only a few dozen people, most likely reviewers from Hong Kong who's lives revolve around youtube channels and who really are not photographers, but tech heads.

It is sort of like the recent air-bag recalls. People looked up to see if their car was on the list, if it wasn't they moved on.. and will likely buy the same brand of car next time. Others will get their air-bag replaced and probably still buy the same car brand next time. Only if they directly experienced repeated issues across multiple vehicles might they consider changing brands.

I seriously doubt anyone has had first hand experience of 10 or 20 faulty Nikon cameras. and if they have, perhaps they should consider taking up phone camera photography. I can recommend the Samsung Note 8
    Last edited by ricktas; 02-09-2017 at 9:21am.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With about thirty million tech savvy youngsters entering the worldwide urban workforce each year, I'd be surprised if this group weren't responsible for most of the growth in mirrorless take-up. I suspect that the leakage from current DSLR users would be minor in comparison.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    With about thirty million tech savvy youngsters entering the worldwide urban workforce each year, I'd be surprised if this group weren't responsible for most of the growth in mirrorless take-up. I suspect that the leakage from current DSLR users would be minor in comparison.
    I think you've hit the nail on the head, Kev. From my observation, most DSLR users (ie Canon and Nikon users) are unlikely to change. Look at Canon. They have been lagging behind with cameras for many years now, but they are still the market leader. DSLR users like big cameras and optical viewfinders, not to mention their accumulated lenses and their hard won familiarity with mindbogglingly complex systems that few people enjoy relearning (mirrorless cameras a just as mind boggling). But ..... tech savvy youngsters are starting afresh and have no bias towards the old technologies, in fact they probably have a bias towards new technologies. I suspect both Canon and Nikon will have to reinvent themselves at some time in the future. Clearly, neither feel that the time is now, but when is it? Since we have no information on the internal workings of any of these companies, we just have to wait and speculate, just like we've been doing for years.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MM, I meant no disrespect to you personally ... but that 12-15yo reference was to the hoards of switchers out there in the ether .. those fleeting and unseen types.

Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    It’s a shock for you that full frame users might switch to APSC? Many have and will continue to do so. Most were on full frame because there wasn’t any APSC pro glass, rather than needing full frame.....
    This furphy that Nikon's lack of pro APS-C glass is just plain silly. A few might sell here and there, but the investment required on Nikons part would make them an unviable expense to the limited number of enthusiasts out there that would actually buy them.

A random and simple example of how this non existence of Nikon pro level APS-C glass makes no sense:

Fuji's 16mm f/1.4: cost about $1500, size weight: 73x73mm and 375g.
    Nikon's (equivalent) 24/1.8 lens: 75x83mm and 355g.
    Add that to a D6xx/7xx and the lens does the same thing(slightly better DOF on the Nikons if we follow the 1 stop of light/DOF loss rule)
    So what you're saying is that so many folks really really want an APS-C camera so badly but are switching to other APS-C format brands because the lenses don't exist
    They may not exist for APS-C(for an obvious reason!) .. but they're existence is there for a small form large sensor camera!

I think the people looking for pro level APS-C cameras haven't really thought their choices for options through very well!
    If Nikon made a similar 16mm f/1.4 lens and it had roughly the same specs as the Fuji(most probably would have to be longer due to the longer back focus distance on the Fmount too tho!) .. for these leakers to stick with Nikon .. then theire optiisn would be:
    D7200/7500 + $1500 Nikon 16/1.4 lens .. ie approx $3K + all up.
    D6xx/7xx + $900 Nikon 24/1.8 lens .. approx just a tad under $3K.
    What Nikon needs is a D5500/5600 sized 135 format camera.

How does Nikon win in that situation having had to invest milions to produce this so called needed APS-C pro lens that costs more than an equivalent 135 format lens?
    I think the actual reality of what has happened is probably more like this: Nikon had many Pro level APS-C only lenses(mostly zooms, one prime that I remember). Demand probably waned for them. Nikon hasn't updated them ever!
    They've released one or two other APS-C only prime lenses, not really pro level but APS-C and prime lenses all the same! I'm guessing they know exactly what the demand for those lenses are/were .. and hence they've made a decision not to pursue APS-C only lenses!
    Of course I'm basing my assumptions on the premise that Nikon are keeping tabs on what products of theirs sells, and what doesn't!
    And like Steve said, we aren't privvy to Nikon's internal workings. And in that use of the term 'we', that includes Thom Hogan(should be noted that is the only well known Nikon user screaming out ... "Buzz Buzz"!)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    .... From my observation, most DSLR users (ie Canon and Nikon users) are unlikely to change. Look at Canon. They have been lagging behind with cameras for many years now, but they are still the market leader. DSLR users like big cameras and optical viewfinders ....
    I think a more accurate description would be that they're harder to change, or resist change for the sake of change itself.
    Some folks are simply consumers, others are users.
    One thing I know about myself, I'm not a consumer, and use my stuff to the nth degree, or within an inch of it's life(where I can). D300 is a testament to that, my vehicles all bear the scars of that pattern.
    I won't simply update unless there's a really good reason to update. if the vf the D800 was of the quality of film cameras of old, I wouldn't be interested in the D850(which should have a much better vf).
    I've tried a few mirorless recently, and some Sony SLT cameras way back, and while the newer stuff is better, for mine still too far short of an OVF .. especially a good OVF(like my D300).
    if mirrorless used an EVF that is in every way better than an OVF, then for sure I'd be in too.
    Way back when EVFs first came out, I was probably one of the most enthusiastic about the possibilities for them. The reality turned to sheet! .. they still give me motion sickness if I look through one for too long.
    For me, for now, the best of both worlds is my only choice. I think I'm a typical DSLR user type.
    If Nikon brought to market a mirrorless camera that accepted Fmount lenses(they'd be insane not too) .. I'd still be uninterested unless it gave a better vf experience in every sense of the word.
    That means refresh rates that don't make me feel motion sick, HDR level dynamic range to begin with. magnified zooming and or focus peaking for critical focus and suchlike are a bonus to have, but primary requirement would be that all the basics are sorted and then the bonus of added embellishments.
    I'm not resistant to change being a DSLR user, I'm resistant to consumerism for the sake of it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MM, I meant no disrespect to you personally ... but that 12-15yo reference was to the hoards of switchers out there in the ether .. those fleeting and unseen types.

This furphy that Nikon's lack of pro APS-C glass is just plain silly. A few might sell here and there, but the investment required on Nikons part would make them an unviable expense to the limited number of enthusiasts out there that would actually buy them.

A random and simple example of how this non existence of Nikon pro level APS-C glass makes no sense:

Fuji's 16mm f/1.4: cost about $1500, size weight: 73x73mm and 375g.
    Nikon's (equivalent) 24/1.8 lens: 75x83mm and 355g.
    Add that to a D6xx/7xx and the lens does the same thing(slightly better DOF on the Nikons if we follow the 1 stop of light/DOF loss rule)
    So what you're saying is that so many folks really really want an APS-C camera so badly but are switching to other APS-C format brands because the lenses don't exist
    They may not exist for APS-C(for an obvious reason!) .. but they're existence is there for a small form large sensor camera!

I think the people looking for pro level APS-C cameras haven't really thought their choices for options through very well!
    If Nikon made a similar 16mm f/1.4 lens and it had roughly the same specs as the Fuji(most probably would have to be longer due to the longer back focus distance on the Fmount too tho!) .. for these leakers to stick with Nikon .. then theire optiisn would be:
    D7200/7500 + $1500 Nikon 16/1.4 lens .. ie approx $3K + all up.
    D6xx/7xx + $900 Nikon 24/1.8 lens .. approx just a tad under $3K.
    What Nikon needs is a D5500/5600 sized 135 format camera.

How does Nikon win in that situation having had to invest milions to produce this so called needed APS-C pro lens that costs more than an equivalent 135 format lens?
    I think the actual reality of what has happened is probably more like this: Nikon had many Pro level APS-C only lenses(mostly zooms, one prime that I remember). Demand probably waned for them. Nikon hasn't updated them ever!
    They've released one or two other APS-C only prime lenses, not really pro level but APS-C and prime lenses all the same! I'm guessing they know exactly what the demand for those lenses are/were .. and hence they've made a decision not to pursue APS-C only lenses!
    Of course I'm basing my assumptions on the premise that Nikon are keeping tabs on what products of theirs sells, and what doesn't!
    And like Steve said, we aren't privvy to Nikon's internal workings. And in that use of the term 'we', that includes Thom Hogan(should be noted that is the only well known Nikon user screaming out ... "Buzz Buzz"!)

I think a more accurate description would be that they're harder to change, or resist change for the sake of change itself.
    One thing I know about myself, I'm not a consumer, and use my stuff to the nth degree, or within an inch of it's life(where I can). D300 is a testament to that, my vehicles all bear the scars of that pattern.
    I won't simply update unless there's a really good reason to update. if the vf the D800 was of the quality of film cameras of old, I wouldn't be interested in the D850(which should have a much better vf).
    I've tried a few mirorless recently, and some Sony SLT cameras way back, and while the newer stuff is better, for mine still too far short of an OVF .. especially a good OVF(like my D300).
    if mirrorless used an EVF that is in every way better than an OVF, then for sure I'd be in too.
    Way back when EVFs first came out, I was probably one of the most enthusiastic about the possibilities for them. The reality turned to sheet! .. they still give me motion sickness if I look through one for too long.
    For me, for now, the best of both worlds is my only choice. I think I'm a typical DSLR user type.
    If Nikon brought to market a mirrorless camera that accepted Fmount lenses(they'd be insane not too) .. I'd still be uninterested unless it gave a better vf experience in every sense of the word.
    That means refresh rates that don't make me feel motion sick, HDR level dynamic range to begin with. magnified zooming and or focus peaking for critical focus and suchlike are a bonus to have, but primary requirement would be that all the basics are sorted and then the bonus of added embellishments.
    I'm not resistant to change being a DSLR user, I'm resistant to consumerism for the sake of it.
    Yeah, it's such a furphy that many of the Nikon advocates have said the same. People like Thom Hogan are saying exactly that.

You are missiing the point. What i am saying is people are being sold a lie with full frame. They were sold that they needed it to be a good photographer, and in reality they don't. Nikon and Canon sold it to them by only making the good glass available to full frame. It may not have been a lie at one point, but now it's a lie. Unless you are buying expensive f/1.4 primes like the 105 f/1.4 or 85 f/1.4, you have no need for full frame. There is no advantage. High ISO? There is one stop difference between full frame on dynamic range and ISO and pros were using that 5 years ago, but suddenly amateurs need clean photos at ISO12800 to post on Facebook? Or they need 50mp camera because they print billboards when? Oh, yes, never! The D500 is more than most current full frame users will ever need.

Primes are fine (although the Nikon f/1.8's are cheap plastic bodies while the Fuji's are metal and the construction is 10x better, I know because I've had the 20 f/1.8), but no zooms. Where is the pro quality 14-24? It doesn't exist. You have to go to third parties and you should never have to go to a third party to get a trifecta zoom or you get stuck like a mate of mine who has had endless back and front focus issues with his Sigma. 50-140? It doesn't exist. Where is the 56 f/1.2? It doesn't exist. The point is, if you are only buying f/1.8 primes, why the hell are you bothering with full frame?

Now, you say people looking for APSC with pro glass haven't thought through your choices (which I find insulting). I would say the fact that you put cheap full frame glass on your D810 you haven't thought through your choices either so you should think before you speak or insult people. I would challenge you to show me photos you have personally taken on your full frame glass which could not have been taken with an APSC camera. If you shooting 400 f/2.8 on a full frame, maybe you could argue that, but 99.99999% of amateurs don't have $10K for a 400 f/2.8.
    Last edited by MissionMan; 02-09-2017 at 1:50pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nikon, being a predominantly camera company likely needs to defend every major movement in this industry.
    And for the DSLR users, of which there are still a large user base, the D850 is the product squarely for them. And perhaps the D750 follow up too.
    However, as good as these products are/wil be, this is not likely to introduce new users to Nikon and can't stop the leak of those who prefer EVFs. But this product is absolutely necessary to defend the DSLR territory.
    As both Steve and Kev points out, new users are far less likely to be attracted to refinements in existing (albeit very good) technology that the D850 brings. That new OVF is great news for us DSLR users but isn't a selling point to users who haven't already used OVFs in the past.

So there's the separate issue of what mirrorless option to introduce. My personal preference is that two options should be offered (one in FF and one with a smaller sensor) but every man and his dog has an opinion on this subject and we risk straying down another ML vs DSLR debate.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand full well why few DSLR users want to change. I was a Canon user for most of my camera life and I probably wouldn't have changed had it not become a business rather than just a hobby. Probably the biggest thing is having to relearn all that stuff that took years to absorb. Move an adjustment from a dial to a menu and you will confuse and annoy many of your users, do that sort of thing to most of the functions and you will cripple many users. That's what happens when you change brands and it has little to do with DSLRs and mirrorless. The viewfinder is something that most DSLR users say is a major stopper to them moving to mirrorless and, in general, an OVF is better. But I don't find it very much better, and now that I am used to an EVF, it doesn't bother me. After all, it is very much an illusion that "what you see is what you get". Of course, now I am locked into Sony in exactly the same way that Nikon users are locked into Nikon and Canon users are locked into Canon, but I look at future possibilities and I am more than happy with my choice. I am planning how I am going to use the next Sony camera when it comes out (probably 60-70mp in a couple of months time), but also how I am going to use the Canon TS-E 50mm macro. I don't expect that many Nikon or Canon user that didn't have my opportunities would be changing brands, but there must be quite a few watching how things develop and perhaps delaying major upgrades.

A note on size. Many DSLR users say that mirrorless cameras are too small and fiddly. I find this extraordinary. If I pick up a full size DSLR now my first reaction is "wow, this is huge". The idea of carrying that around everywhere is a bit daunting and I would regard it as a major negative. From what I see, most younger photographers think the same.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    ) but every man and his dog has an opinion on this subject and we risk straying down another ML vs DSLR debate.
    Methinks the straying has started ( again ), the evangelists are out in full force as soon as a new dslr hits the market predicting doom and gloom + immediate bankruptcy for whichever company dares to not release a mirrorless body to appease their fervour.

Been going for quite a while now and I am still awaiting the day when a company goes belly up for having the audacity to manufacture mirrors and include them in their products.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it's such a furphy that many of the Nikon advocates have said the same. People like Thom Hogan are saying exactly that.

You are missiing the point. What i am saying is people are being sold a lie with full frame. They were sold that they needed it to be a good photographer, and in reality they don't. Nikon and Canon sold it to them by only making the good glass available to full frame. It may not have been a lie at one point, but now it's a lie. Unless you are buying expensive f/1.4 primes like the 105 f/1.4 or 85 f/1.4, you have no need for full frame. There is no advantage. High ISO? There is one stop difference between full frame on dynamic range and ISO and pros were using that 5 years ago, but suddenly amateurs need clean photos at ISO12800 to post on Facebook? Or they need 50mp camera because they print billboards when? Oh, yes, never! The D500 is more than most current full frame users will ever need.

Primes are fine (although the Nikon f/1.8's are cheap plastic bodies while the Fuji's are metal and the construction is 10x better, I know because I've had the 20 f/1.8), but no zooms. Where is the pro quality 14-24? It doesn't exist. You have to go to third parties and you should never have to go to a third party to get a trifecta zoom or you get stuck like a mate of mine who has had endless back and front focus issues with his Sigma. 50-140? It doesn't exist. Where is the 56 f/1.2? It doesn't exist. The point is, if you are only buying f/1.8 primes, why the hell are you bothering with full frame?

Now, you say people looking for APSC with pro glass haven't thought through your choices (which I find insulting). I would say the fact that you put cheap full frame glass on your D810 you haven't thought through your choices either so you should think before you speak or insult people. I would challenge you to show me photos you have personally taken on your full frame glass which could not have been taken with an APSC camera. If you shooting 400 f/2.8 on a full frame, maybe you could argue that, but 99.99999% of amateurs don't have $10K for a 400 f/2.8.
    Being sold a lie? I wouldn't go that far. Nikon's traditional strength is the enthusiast and above market and as such, their strongest product line will always lie in their upper range.

But what I would say is that if any company is going to offer a particular line (based on a particular sensor format), they should follow through with it properly and offer a full range of lens options for that format. Don't try to artificially define what can or can't be done in that format. By limiting DX lens choice, I'm afraid that is what Nikon has done, whether intentionally or inadvertently.

The success of Fujifilm is precisely that they are following through with their X-mount lenses, offering both small and light all the way through to pro lens options.
    This is also what's happening with in m43 as they start to flesh out pro lens options, another great mirrorless option.

For me, this is Nikon's biggest failure. Not seeing how CX->DX->FX interact within an ecosystem. Rather than build a cohesive line-up where users of the entire Nikon ecosystem can fluidly move between lines but still have great options in each whilst retaining compatibility of accessories, they tried to define users of each group and box in and limit what they can do in each format.

BTW, nothing wrong with FF users using f1.8 glass nor is there any issue with DX users using f1.4 glass (if it exists). If the lineup was complete you can make your choice.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Methinks the straying has started ( again ), the evangelists are out in full force as soon as a new dslr hits the market predicting doom and gloom + immediate bankruptcy for whichever company dares to not release a mirrorless body to appease their fervour.

Been going for quite a while now and I am still awaiting the day when a company goes belly up for having the audacity to manufacture mirrors and include them in their products.
    Its inevitable sometimes, Andrew. But photography is a hobby of passion so it invites passionate discussions. I personally don't mind fanboism since fans of a systems touts the advantages of their system that other system users might not be aware of. The problem is exaggerations and put-downs of other systems. Most advantages are quite small and you don't need to denigrate the alternative to point out a good feature of your system.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post

Nope, lets be clear, the mirrorless vs DSLR debate is mute.

This started with Arthur saying that anyone who dared switched from full frame to APSC was an idiot and should reconsider their position. On the converse, I'm challenging him to produce something he has taken which shows me what I can't produce with an APSC camera. If you are going to call people idiots, then I would like to know why.

I can also backup my statement with a poll that was done:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4194437

Yes, 56% of the people came from Canon and Nikon and 28% of came from full frame. It may not be reflective of the entire population group but it's a hell of a lot more than "no full frame users switch because I think they are idiots for doing it"

I can also tell you that as someone in a Fuji group on Facebook. The poll results I see here are 100% reflective of the user base I see in the Fuji group.
    Last edited by MissionMan; 02-09-2017 at 2:48pm.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now, you say people looking for APSC with pro glass haven't thought through your choices (which I find insulting). ....
    You've missed the point again!
    You said they're moving to other brands APS-C formats because Nikon don't offer APS-C pro glass(which they do to a limited degree!) You said they're moving from D6xx/7xx bodies(ie. full frame) because of this glass discrepancy in APS-C.

For new entrants, coming to the scene, a 16mm lens means nothing to them. For many of us old farts that were used to 18-35mm lenses way back, seeing a 16mm lens and expecting a 16mm lens, see a 24+mm lens and think ... what the ...

What I'm saying is that this need for APS-C pro glass is the furphy, when Nikon clearly seem to have dedicated themselves to the 135 format .. from which they were born to mind you.
    In fact, I reckon that Nikon are so dedicated to the Fx format, that in the near future they will drop one of the D3xxx/5xxx models and combine them into one market segment.
    This could be an opportunity for them to remove the mirror box and make it mirrorless too(but still F-mount).

There are a few Nikon pro lenses, f/1.4 or otherwise at the small of the focal length scale are all plastic bodied as well!
    Just because the lens plastic doesn't make it any lesser quality than a metal lens of the same type.
    I think you have confused an outer shell made of plastic with one of internal plastic construction!
    I have no issue with plastic bodied lenses at all, as long as the internals are high grade materials .. that's all care about.
    In a theoretical sense, a plastic cased lens is going to be better protected from external elements than a metal bodied one too.
    Heat soak and transfer and impact resistance are two obvious properties that come to mind, plus the inherently more slippery nature of plastics could be beneficial, and their resistance to rust and abrasions compared to metal bodied lenses.

Point about buying only f/1.8 primes for full frame also goes for pro lenses on APS-C .. they are so large and heavy by comparison to f/1.8 primes on Fx, the whole point of moving to the smaller format is nullified.
    A major reason to go to full frame is not only the lenses, or DOF, but the potential for more pixels if that's a priority, the potential for wider FOV(if that's the priority) the potential to still crop to APS-C(if that's the priority) ..

If you missed the point this time around(and stop taking my comments personally) .. the point for the larger format is OPTIONS!

Yeah, you get some f/1.8 lenses if you want reasonably small .. get f/2.8 lenses if you want smaller(some still exist). But you still have that option with f/1.4 lenses on Fx format .. something you don't get on the smaller formats.
    Start adding pixels to the smaller formats(ie. something like 50Mp on an APS-C and of course diffraction becomes the issue .. which then negates the usefulness of ultra sharp pro lenses that can't be stopped down at all, and could be suffering diffraction wide open at some stage in the future!

Questioning the availability of lenses not available for the APS-C format, when an equivalent is available for the Fx format makes no sense(in terms of keeping the brand within Nikon).
    Where's Fuji's 105/1.4 equivalent? that would have to be a 160mm f/1.2 lens! Why haven't they provided an equivalent lens for that purpose?
    Where's Fujis' 600/f2 lens? They're supposed to be catering to a market demanding APS-C lenses that Nikon are apparently ignoring? Why haven't they produced in that sense?

Sounds like a pretty stupid demand doesn't it?
    So to question the availability of lenses from Nikon in the APS-C market, that have already provided for in the larger format arena ... simply makes no sense!!

What I think would be a better solution is the same one mirrorless manufacturers are targeting.
    Make the lenses smaller again.
    Instead of making limited use 16mm f/1.4's for APS-C only .. make a 16mm f/4. Small form factor, makes the camera feel less unwieldy. 35mm f/2(like they already have, but in AF-S guise. 20mm f/4's etc etc. Small and light to appease the smaller and lighter crowd.
    Strangely they used to(and still do to a limited degree) make these lenses, but stopped.
    IIRC, my business lessons, you don't stop selling something if it's in demand .. and you don't keep making something if it's not in demand!

I think the problem with the discussion here is that you've come to it purely from your point of view.
    Nikon didn't have a 56/1.2 lens for APS-C, so you moved from them to another brand that offered it.
    And it seems to me that this is the only way you will ever view this topic .. from your point of view.
    I'm fairly sure Nikon have a pretty good understanding of which of their products are selling and which aren't! .. let them deal with it.
    if they go bust .. you were right . if they sell mode DSLRs in the next 6 months .. will you admit your perspective on the topic was wrong tho?

ps. unless you have actually done it yourself to know, using cheap consumer grade lenses on a D8xx(I have the D800E too mind you) .. is not a deal breaker.
    I say this with the benefit of experience too .. it's no different to using cheap consumer grade lenses on APS-C .. it all comes down to the point of my replies .. OPTIONS!
    And not only are they the usual level of options, but they are also unusual types of options, in that they aren't easily achievable .. such as using my lowly consumer oriented Sigma 10-20mm APS-C only lens on my D800E .. for about 12 months.
    So in APS-C mode(OPTIONS!) I get the usual 10-20mm (15-30mm FOV equivalent) choice .. or I just stick with Fx mode and make it approximately an 8mm 1:1 format lens at 10mm if I like(OPTIONS!)
    Of the images I've uploaded from that combo here, not a single negative comment re why I chose to use a lowly pathetic consumer level Sigma lens(that never misfocused) and even dared to upload the resultant images.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where's Fuji's 105/1.4 equivalent? that would have to be a 160mm f/1.2 lens! Why haven't they provided an equivalent lens for that purpose?
    Where's Fujis' 600/f2 lens?
    On the subject of being accurate, a 105/1.4 equiv on the Fuji system would be a 70mm f0.95.
    I suppose you're thinking of the equiv of a Nikon 600mm f4? That would be a 400mm f2.8
    Last edited by swifty; 02-09-2017 at 3:49pm.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arthur has raised some good points.

I think that I'm a fairly typical semi-pro DSLR user. My early background was with Canon 'A' series cameras until the late '90's, when I took a break for about ten years.

I came back with a Pentax K20D (Canon lost me with their mount changes ) and then a K5. Loved the K20D, loved the Pentax glass, but not overly fussed with the K5. Then I fell for the hype that if you wanted to be a 'proper photographer' you must have a Full Frame camera so I jumped ship to Nikon with a D600. To be honest I wish that I still had it as I only had minor problems with my sensor, and Nikon replaced that anyway.

I was then seduced by the 'more megapixels is better' hype and went to a D800, and to be frank, unless I got everything right I could see bugger all difference between the results from the two different Nikons. I'm sure in specific applications there is a noticeable difference, but for the average shooter like myself it's not a biggie. I didn't like the way the D800 handled ISO from ISO800 and above, and I was so disenchanted that I went back to the APS-C format with a D7200.

For my bird shooting the DX format is brilliant, with my new Sigma Sport giving me 900mm equivalent @ 24MP, with more than acceptably sharp results. However for close-up architectural work, landscapes and wide-field astro shots you just can't beat the extra real estate available from a FF sensor. Yes, I know I could stitch but that's more PP and often it gives less that desirable results.

So, as Arthur alluded to above, horses for courses. If I didn't have budget constraints I'd probably have a D500, even though I am more than pleased with the D7200, and I'm looking at another FF Nikon, most likely the D810 as it's had a pretty trouble free run.

Maybe somewhere down the track I'll seriously consider the D850, after the bugs have been sorted, and the price has settled at a realistic level.

In a perfect world Nikon will have sorted their QC issues, and the D850 will take the photography world by storm, with no re-calls, firmware updates etc, but I'm not holding my breath. And I don't think Canon will just sit idly on their hands either.

Oh, and at no stage have I even considered the thought of going mirrorless, and that statement is in no way meant to denigrate those who have chosen that platform as the one most suited to their particular requirements.

But this is all academic and subjective because a bloody good photographer with the most basic of DSLR's will almost always produce better results than the wannabe with the latest and greatest gear.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    On the subject of being accurate, a 105/1.4 equiv on the Fuji system would be a 70mm f0.95.
    I suppose you're thinking of the equiv of a Nikon 600mm f4? That would be a 400mm f2.8
    Of course .. my bad. Trying to get kids lunch ready and quickly typing up stuff and having to leave it so food doesn't burn .. etc.
    if we're to stick to the one stop DOF/light loss rule, then the 70mm would be f/1.0 I think.
    Last edited by arthurking83; 02-09-2017 at 5:34pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just applying the 1.5X crop calculations since FF is a little bit more than 1 stop diff. But f0.95 or f1, same diff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    Arthur has raised some good points.

I think that I'm a fairly typical semi-pro DSLR user. My early background was with Canon 'A' series cameras until the late '90's, when I took a break for about ten years.

I came back with a Pentax K20D (Canon lost me with their mount changes ) and then a K5. Loved the K20D, loved the Pentax glass, but not overly fussed with the K5. Then I fell for the hype that if you wanted to be a 'proper photographer' you must have a Full Frame camera so I jumped ship to Nikon with a D600. To be honest I wish that I still had it as I only had minor problems with my sensor, and Nikon replaced that anyway.

I was then seduced by the 'more megapixels is better' hype and went to a D800, and to be frank, unless I got everything right I could see bugger all difference between the results from the two different Nikons. I'm sure in specific applications there is a noticeable difference, but for the average shooter like myself it's not a biggie. I didn't like the way the D800 handled ISO from ISO800 and above, and I was so disenchanted that I went back to the APS-C format with a D7200.

For my bird shooting the DX format is brilliant, with my new Sigma Sport giving me 900mm equivalent @ 24MP, with more than acceptably sharp results. However for close-up architectural work, landscapes and wide-field astro shots you just can't beat the extra real estate available from a FF sensor. Yes, I know I could stitch but that's more PP and often it gives less that desirable results.

So, as Arthur alluded to above, horses for courses. If I didn't have budget constraints I'd probably have a D500, even though I am more than pleased with the D7200, and I'm looking at another FF Nikon, most likely the D810 as it's had a pretty trouble free run.

Maybe somewhere down the track I'll seriously consider the D850, after the bugs have been sorted, and the price has settled at a realistic level.

In a perfect world Nikon will have sorted their QC issues, and the D850 will take the photography world by storm, with no re-calls, firmware updates etc, but I'm not holding my breath. And I don't think Canon will just sit idly on their hands either.

Oh, and at no stage have I even considered the thought of going mirrorless, and that statement is in no way meant to denigrate those who have chosen that platform as the one most suited to their particular requirements.

But this is all academic and subjective because a bloody good photographer with the most basic of DSLR's will almost always produce better results than the wannabe with the latest and greatest gear.
    You raise a good point when you comment about mount changes and that must be one of the major worries with the DSLR makers. If you make a mirrorless line, one of the advantages would be to reduce the flange distance, but that would mean changing mounts and all the problems that causes. You can provide adaptors, but they are never ideal. Alternatively, you keep your old mount and miss any advantages you might get from changing mounts - and they could be significant in the future. It is a problem that has destroyed companies in the past and cannot be taken lightly.

By the way, I do work from the assumption that DSLRs will eventually become old technology and will be relegated to bit players. IMO, that will take a while to happen, but it will happen. As often occurs, the advantages of being a market leader in a technical industry over a long period can be negated by the need to maintain upward compatibility across technology changes (so as not to pee off your current, loyal users).

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post

By the way, I do work from the assumption that DSLRs will eventually become old technology and will be relegated to bit players. IMO, that will take a while to happen, but it will happen. As often occurs, the advantages of being a market leader in a technical industry over a long period can be negated by the need to maintain upward compatibility across technology changes (so as not to pee off your current, loyal users).

I'm coming from the point of view(overall) that at some point in the next 20-ish years or so .. smart phones will have completely eaten into most camera markets.
    They crucified the compact market in a matter of 5 or so years.
    As new tech emerges for them(which it always is a few steps ahead of dedicated camera tech) .. smart phone tech will start eroding smaller format camera markets. And that could possibly include up to about 1" sensor camera types. ie. close to APS-C format cameras.

As highly unlikely as this scenario may be, it's not totally impossible.
    And as they say .. if you eliminate the impossible, you're left with the improbable, however unlikely it may seem!

I'm basing this point of view on the premise that companies like the Light with their L16 may at some point bring a product to market.
    Already we're seeing all the major phone makers rushing to get dual camera dual lens phones out .. for what reason? Why do smartphones need dual cameras.
    Surely all anyone does with them is the occasional happy snap to instabook, or the odd work related evidence gathering image capture .. don't need shallow DOF for that, don't need super high quality low light images for that .. yet this is where the smartphone makers are heading ... straight into ILC territory.
    Add in the odd interchangeable sensor lens module type design .. and we'll have ILC smartphones as well!
    Red considered using an interchangeable sensor/lens module .. ala Ricoh GXR where you change the sensor and lens as a unit. Would be easy to do for a smartphone too.

Strangely too .. on the topic of compatibility Nikon have recently thrown caution to the wind and gone the other way with their new AF-P type lenses.
    Some currently supported cameras are basically unusable without a firmware update .. which would be very easy for Nikon to rollout.

They did something similar a few years back when they changed the way lens distortion data was applied in camera via a new firmware system, and updated cameras(like the D90) after it became listed as an unsupported model!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast