User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  27
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nikon : D850 : teaser : 8K timelapse?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must have missed the US pricing info. It's not in the press leaks unless I overlooked.
    Anyways, local pricing is the issue and the USD is strong. Hence bracing myself.
    But anyways I'll probably buy a lens first. Save for the body next year.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    I must have missed the US pricing info. It's not in the press leaks unless I overlooked.
    Anyways, local pricing is the issue and the USD is strong. Hence bracing myself.
    But anyways I'll probably buy a lens first. Save for the body next year.
    It was yen based in the price leaks from what I saw.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhh..ic.
    That figure still might change since JP and US pricing doesn't always translate well but usually Jp official pricing tends to be a bit higher. I think the companies do some hedging of currency.
    A reputable member on Nikongear even suggested a price north of $4kUSD but some of the Chinese pricing speculations seem in line with the US $3600 mark.
    Anyways, still bracing myself. Currently living in Singapore and the local pricing here is a bit erratic. Low comparatively for some items and high on others. Eg. low on the 300mm f4 PF but high on the 70-200mm f2.8 FL.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow... supposedly $3299 USD (w/out tax) but admin had to take that info down.
    https://nikonrumors.com/2017/08/23/n...-earlier.aspx/
    Translates to ~$4175 AUD + GST but Aussie pricing supposedly $5399 inc GST.
    Last edited by swifty; 24-08-2017 at 2:23am.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the post release blurbs are saying $US3,299.00 retail.

PS: Just got an email from Ted's Cameras. RRP $5,199.00, after $200.00 trade-in so I'm guessing around the $4K mark when things settle down.

PPS: Nikon AU are quoting a pre-order price of $5,799.00 RRP.

PPPS: Just had a look in my crystal ball and there could be a pre-loved, low shutter count D810 in there.
    Last edited by Cage; 24-08-2017 at 3:31pm.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $5799 RRP. Oh myyyyyyyy!!!!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does it come with a shovel for you to dig your own grave when your partner discovers you spent $5800 on a new body?

- - - Updated - - -

And add $1500 for the D5 battery, charger and a battery grip if you want to shoot 9fps so if you are planning on shooting 9fps, it'll cost $7300.

Yeah, I may just give this a skip...

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's very odd. RRP being $5799 but official dealer pre-orders are already significantly discounted.
    Meaning, are Nikon giving dealers a larger than usual margin allowing them to discount?
    By setting the RRP very high, does that mean Nikon expects the AUD to depreciate further against the yen but play with actual pricing behind the scenes by altering pricing to dealers.

I have a theory that US pricing is actually artificially aggressive. Why? for the reason to stop Sony claiming the no.2 position for FF ILC in the US.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    Does it come with a shovel for you to dig your own grave when your partner discovers you spent $5800 on a new body?

- - - Updated - - -

And add $1500 for the D5 battery, charger and a battery grip if you want to shoot 9fps so if you are planning on shooting 9fps, it'll cost $7300.

Yeah, I may just give this a skip...
    Or this.... The D850 + MB-D18 grip, plus a 128GB SanDisk Extreme Pro SD Card, all for $5,988.00 https://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.c...8-battery-grip

The pricing, ATM, is all over the place.

PS: And I don't think it would be a smart move to price it above the Canon EOS 5DS with it's 50.6MP
    Last edited by Cage; 25-08-2017 at 2:55pm.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    Or this.... The D850 + MB-D18 grip, plus a 128GB SanDisk Extreme Pro SD Card, all for $5,988.00 https://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.c...8-battery-grip

The pricing, ATM, is all over the place.
    Don't forget to add a D5 battery ($200) and a charger ($699) which is required for using 9fps if thats what you want. So all in all, $6900

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    Don't forget to add a D5 battery ($200) and a charger ($699) which is required for using 9fps if thats what you want. So all in all, $6900
    Personally I can live without 9fps.

When all the excitement dies down and the 'must have the latest and greatest brigade' have handed over their money, I'm tipping a street price just North of $AU4K for the body only.
    Last edited by Cage; 25-08-2017 at 3:02pm.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I can live without 9fps.
    I can live without spending $5000 on a new body.

I mean that literally...if I had to buy this, my wife would kill me and I wouldn't be alive, so the only way I can live is without spending $5K on a new camera

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I said ^ I'm watching for a steal on a D810.

And I still have the battery grip and 'L' bracket from my D800 ready to whack on it.
    Last edited by Cage; 25-08-2017 at 3:20pm.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    By setting the RRP very high, does that mean Nikon expects the AUD to depreciate further against the yen but play with actual pricing behind the scenes by altering pricing to dealers.

Nah! I think it's just typical Nikon(Au) price gouging!

Nikon almost certainly have been leaking info from the day of the announcement, gathering data on how many would be interested(ie. demand).
    Having figured out the level of demand, they then work out an initial price.
    You could be right about Nikon US pricing being 'aggressive' although I doubt it needs to be.
    All those that have 'left the room'(or so to speak) have already left, and I doubt they'd be looking to come back.
    if you believe everything you read on the internets, it seems all Nikon customers of old, have already switched to mirrorless of some type, so I doubt that they'd be looking to get back into overweight DSLRs now anyhow.
    it'll just be a few remaining dinosaurs(I include myself in that description too tho!) that may look for an upgrade after an iteration or two .. and so with that analysis I'd dare say they could have bumped the price a little more from that point.

Old D810 came in a US$3299 as well, so they could easily have upped it even a couple of hundred.

At current(as of 25/8/17) US$3299 ~ AU$4200(came in at $4170) .. add in a small amount of breathing room and lets call it $4500.

Irrespective of how Nikon Au pricing goes, I won't be getting mine from any authorised sellers in Au(ever again!) .. due to their pathetic customer service levels.
    I'll most likely get mine in from a HK based seller somewhere. I'll give it a (long)while tho .. wait for all the expected issues to be resolved before I outlay any money on one.
    Good 'ol Nikon simply can't be trusted to make something that's going to work from day one.

So the 'accepted' practise nowadays is to wait till all the focus/flare/battery/shutter/etc issues have been:

1/. revealed(by millions of Nikon devotees),
    2/. denied(by Nikon till they're blue in the face),
    3/. accepted(by some lowly ranked Nikon employee) and
    4/. sorted out(over a 3 year time frame)!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Irrespective of how Nikon Au pricing goes, I won't be getting mine from any authorised sellers in Au(ever again!) .. due to their pathetic customer service levels.
    I'll most likely get mine in from a HK based seller somewhere. I'll give it a (long)while tho .. wait for all the expected issues to be resolved before I outlay any money on one. Good 'ol Nikon simply can't be trusted to make something that's going to work from day one.
    I certainly won't be going down that road Arthur. I had the D600 shutter replacement done and I dealt directly with Nikon in Sydney. They picked it up, did the replacement in less that a week, and couriered it back to me.

Try getting that level of service from a dealer, whose first language is not English, and who resides overseas.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AK: do you recall such a big discrepancy between rrp and store preorder pricing for previous highly anticipated products?
    It just seems odd and creates confusion. One local store now even has it below $5k?
    What about NPS members, do they have to order from Nikon at rrp to get priority first dibs?

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a great camera. It will be interesting to see how it turns out, but I see no reason to expect it to be a dud. Nikon apparently stuffed up with some previous releases, but they are not the first manufacturer to do that, nor will they be the last. Hopefully, Sony will release an A7R3 soon. That should be interesting to see.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    Sounds like a great camera. It will be interesting to see how it turns out, but I see no reason to expect it to be a dud. Nikon apparently stuffed up with some previous releases, but they are not the first manufacturer to do that, nor will they be the last. Hopefully, Sony will release an A7R3 soon. That should be interesting to see.
    The point in it's favour is that it is not a completely new camera but rather the latest incarnation of the D8xx series, and the D810 has been a pretty solid performer.

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it is just a really sensible evolution. Nothing radical, but it looks good.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The point in it's favour is that it is not a completely new camera but rather the latest incarnation of the D8xx series, and the D810 has been a pretty solid performer.
    Knowing Nikon .. they'll work out a way to stuff something that should be simple to do.

D500 battery issues should never have transpired if they weren't so dedicated to rooting out thirdparty batteries from customers conciousness.
    So instead of making the D500 problematic with thirdparty batteries, they made the D500 problematic with all batteries!
    This reeks of complex firmware coding.

It's that kind of "screw the customer and give them no options" mentality that brings them undone, and that will cause some issue somewhere down the track.

With new shutter & new sensor, there's bound to be an issue somewhere.

D800, was really an evolution of the D700, but with a much higher pixel resolution. Technically speaking tho, not a revolution but another evolution ....
    D800's focusing system was ripped straight out of the D4(which worked OK-ish) but for some unknown reason, Nikon worked out a way to stuff the manufacturing process of that same focusing system on the D800.
    The real issue was their attitude towards the problem, and their inability to deal with it respectfully!
    Last edited by arthurking83; 26-08-2017 at 7:04am.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast