Quote Originally Posted by piczzilla View Post
Personally, focus peaking would be the only thing that moves me to upgrade from D800 to D850 (I imagine it will make macro shooting a lot easier). But from stories that are going around, D850 focus peaking is still a little tad inaccurate. Once they hit the shops, I might rent one and see it for myself. Holding my breath...
Do you focus stack? If so, have you seen the automated focus shifting feature for macro photography?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
Makes good sense. Auto focus is one of Nikons strengths, but we are nowhere near perfection just yet, so improvements are going to be well received. I've always been able to use more pixels, but I can see that they aren't always useful and more pixels don't help at all if you miss the focus.
It's worth mentioning that the AF sensitivity (-4EV) and the better AF point spread are the more important part of the new AF module to me but I'll take any improvement in C-AF too although I don't typically shoot sports or BIF.

And don't get me wrong, I would love having more pixels. I'd be almost doubling my resolution going from D700-D850.
But there are a host of things required to make the most of those extra pixels, otherwise they are just a liability in processing. Speaking of which, my computer is older than my D700 and also needs an upgrade soon.

Most of all I would need to improve my own shot discipline. But the EFC and silent modes will help when shutter speeds reach those critical hand-holdable levels.
I've also chosen to upgrade my glass first, having bought the 105/1.4 and 70-200/2.8FL. 28/1.4E is next on the list. All of these should make the most of the extra pixels.
So yea, extra pixels are great but I want to make sure I can make use of it.