User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  27

Thread: Nikon : D850 : teaser : 8K timelapse?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    (have I missed anything important?)
    I would say one or two omissions that some users will value highly.

From the sounds of things the viewfinder is a nice bright affair, important for those who enjoy an OVF.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    I would say one or two omissions that some users will value highly.

From the sounds of things the viewfinder is a nice bright affair, important for those who enjoy an OVF.
    I'd missed that. Given that many DSLR users do say that the EVF is a show-stopper to using a mirrorless camera, it makes good sense to make the OVF even better. Still, probably a nice to have rather than a reason to upgrade.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    For some people, the pixels are irrelevant(eg. me!) for others(say a bird photographer) .. they're important.

I think the camera that's being updated from is going to have an important bearing too.

eg. from a D810, maybe you're right .. the increase in pixels may not be enough, and the D810 already has a usable(but annoying) electronic front curtain(EFC), so to choose the D850 on the basis of an EFC need, would be misplaced.
    You'd upgrade from the D810, but not for the EFC.
    D800's on the other hand don't have EFC .. I (almost) wanted that from the D810(coming from the D800E), but again, it wasn't all round enough of an upgrade in my mind.

Probably the two single most important aspects of the D850 over the D800/810 would be:

1/. the increased speed of the camera, at up to 9fps with the grip, increased buffer .. ie. infinitely more capable for wildlife/sports/action/etc.
    2/. next gen AF ability, from the D5. D5 is considered to be about as good an AF camera as can be had(according to many reviewers testers). D800 is OK, never really missed a beat for me .. dunno about others. Once again, I think this comes down to your usage.

I can imagine a stack of other upgrades over the D800/810 bodies that make the D850 a more meaningful upgrade over the D810, than the D810 was over the D800 bodies.
    The EFC is critical for some wildlife photography. I will often use full electronic shutter as it is silent. I remember the frustration of getting a platypus to swim to within a few metres of me only to get a single photo of a platypus backside as he disappeared under water. I wouldn't have believed they could react so quickly if I hadn't so many missed photos. Small birds can be almost as flighty and will often leave on hearing a shutter.

Do you think that the D850 makes sense as an upgrade to the D800?
    Last edited by Steve Axford; 05-09-2017 at 9:45am.