Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: An NBN Question...

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    I care less about the speeds - 30/1.6 at present - than about the gouging phone charges.
    I'd be happy with those speeds. Currently have about 8/0.71. So, although secound rate, even FTTN would be an improvement.
    Phone and internet plans might be an interesting threat to start AM so we can combine our research on the best plans available.
    NBN not coming to our place any time soon though.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the NBN - FWIW as FTTN - would have made it up the hill my now, Mark

The base (pejorative meaning) of the service in town is 12/1 If you want more,
    you pay much more. -- But that doesn't mean you get much more
    CC, Image editing OK.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am, Telstra don't offer any plans as sluggish as that.

My brother's on their bottom plan at 22/4, and he is reliably getting better than that speed.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    Am, Telstra don't offer any plans as sluggish as that.

My brother's on their bottom plan at 22/4, and he is reliably getting better than that speed.
    John. These are a "plans" by both DODO and Exetel up there. I don't know what [bankruptcy plans] Telstra
    offer.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John. These are a "plans" by both DODO and Exetel up there. I don't know what [bankruptcy plans] Telstra
    offer.
    Check them out here:

https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband...eeds-explained

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guessed right - bankruptcy! Bundles including home phone with PAYG?!!
    Will check their "Belong" arm plans. - Probberly won't, though

- - - Updated - - -

--Nope! Can't get past entering a phone number. NUMBskulls!
    Last edited by ameerat42; 12-12-2017 at 10:21am.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the only reasons I was looking to move from Telstra is to get a larger monthly allowance. Otherwise all is good as I have a fast reliable connection for $80/month to month. So it was handy when they recently upped my monthly allowance from 200 Mb to 1000 Mb. I don't suppose anyone has experienced going from cable to HFC NBN with Telstra and can tell me what to look out for. They've already told me I can keep my current naked plan and not have to shift to a more expensive bundle. So I'm not after Plan advice, more hardware.
    My Flickr Site
    Instagram _alex_ham_

Gear - Canon 5D mkIII, 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS, nifty 50, 75-300 f4-5.6. Sigma SD Quattro H, Sigma 35 mm Art, Sigma 85 mm Art, Canon G1X MkII, Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, iPhone.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now a long thread, and I'm sure I've posted this before in it, but how can you beat for $90/mth:
    30/1.5 unltd; unltd calls with only exception 19xx and satellite; unltd international calls, though to
    only 25 countries. That's cable. NBN will be much worse. I'm not changing for ALAIC

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now a long thread, and I'm sure I've posted this before in it, but how can you beat for $90/mth:
    30/1.5 unltd; unltd calls with only exception 19xx and satellite; unltd international calls, though to
    only 25 countries. That's cable. NBN will be much worse. I'm not changing for ALAIC
    Am, for about $92.87 a month with Telstra cable broadband, we get:

115/5.25 Mbps, unlimited bandwidth, a fixed line with calling number display, all calls (except the ones you mentioned). We have had two outages in about 30 years of ADSL and cable.

I uploaded 101 large images today to my own web site. 326 MB took just under 9 minutes.

When we get NBN here in the next 6-9 months, we will be on a 100/40 plan. They have already upgraded the hardware in part, as our download speed is more variable than it has been since 2014 and the upload speed has gone from a miserable 2.42 Mbps to 5.25 Mbps, which is acceptable for my uses.

This makes our existing service about five times faster than the USA average for download, and just over half as fast for upload.

On Telstra NBN basic plan, my brother is consistently getting 22/6. He is 800m from the node.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JK. Do you know "Emma Chisit"? - Your future plan, ie.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lovely woman, Emma ... .

I expect it will cost roughly what we currently pay, Am. After 46 years with Telstra, I expect to get all the changeover costs free.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm! Hard to put a $ value on it

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My brother didn't have to pay anything to change over from his ADSL AFAIK. New modem and connection all included.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lovely woman, Emma ... .

I expect it will cost roughly what we currently pay, Am. After 46 years with Telstra, I expect to get all the changeover costs free.
    Priceless!
    My brother didn't have to pay anything to change over from his ADSL AFAIK...
    The same!

Let me try "How much will it cost you?"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It currently costs us $92.87 p.m. for our cable internet plus one fixed line phone and all calls except 1300 calls.

Our other fixed line and mobiles are not included in this figure.

I expect Telstra to give us a free Telstra NBN compatible modem, if our current modem is not compatible (I do not think it is).

More about NBN tiers (speeds) here: https://www.telstra.com.au/small-bus...eeds-explained

Even more info (opinion piece ... ) here: https://www.whistleout.com.au/Broadb...stra-nbn-plans

As you will see, there is considerable disagreement about speeds! I do not expect that I will be speed limited after the changeover. I cannot see how a service that currently runs at 115/5.25 Mbps will be slower at downloading, and I expect to see a significant upload speed improvement. We shall see.

Our "inferior" Internet solution will be faster than most countries bigger than a postage stamp. Dunedin in NZ has gigabit speeds, but it is about the same population as the City of Bayside, and about the same size! Or about the same number of computer terminals as Monash University ... Australia wide is just a tad bigger than that.

It seems to me that what the media is whinging and moaning about is that the fastest speeds are not available at the cheapest cost. What a surprise!! That was never going to be the case, even under the previous "platinum with diamond sprinkles" scheme! It is also my understanding that a number of premises in the main street of Ballarat cost between $50,000 and $100,000 each to connect as FTTP (Fibre to the Premises). What this grandiose scheme would have ended up costing (and how long to roll out ... ) is anybody's guess, but it would have been far more than the (eventually) projected $50 Bn ... And would have taken until around 2150 to implement ...

As for scrapping the existing HFC network that currently serves over 2.5 million premises - what goose thought up that piece of idiocy?

Sorry for the rant.
    Don't start me on sewerage treatment, waste disposal and recycling ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345