Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: An NBN Question...

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta, but I do have cable internet at present.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so you won't get bumped to the bottom of the list like me then...

There is no overhead power lines in my suburb, so they will have to put the cable underground...
    John Blackburn

"Life is like a camera! Focus on what is important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out take another shot."

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might not lose that way, but we all will lose in some way with this blurry NBN.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too true!

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My NBN Reply...

It came today...!!! We have been propelled headlong into the 10th Century
    It's the HFC solution in all its (little) glory...

Look! Up in the air...!
    DSC_2611-12_stitch-a1-lr.jpg

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Skymesh seem pretty good at price matching. I hope they are still doing this when I need a provider and haven't assimilated all they need to by then.
    My Flickr Site
    Instagram _alex_ham_

Gear - Canon 5D mkIII, 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS, nifty 50, 75-300 f4-5.6. Sigma SD Quattro H, Sigma 35 mm Art, Sigma 85 mm Art, Canon G1X MkII, Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, iPhone.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    It came today...!!! We have been propelled headlong into the 10th Century
    It's the HFC solution in all its (little) glory...

Look! Up in the air...!
    Ta Ra! So what speeds are you getting, Am?

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not switched to it yet, JK, so it's still the cable 30/1.5 speeds with old
    ISP.

I do not know if I will take a cut to 25/x or go up to 50/x. That depends on
    what phone service offers they can include. It's all priddy good at present
    (all relatively speaking of course), so I'm not succumbing to any "incentive"
    to give it up yet.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I mentioned in my earlier post, Am, the current HFC is hobbled by the equipment at the exchange rather than the technology. When the NBN is connected, that old equipment is replaced.

It is recommended to connect on the slowest plan at first (unless with Telstra), and then have the maximum line speeds measured by your ISP. This cannot be done until the NBN is actually connected and operational at your premises.

With Telstra, they will connect you on your selected plan, and refund you if your connection cannot deliver those speeds.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    , the current HFC is hobbled by the equipment at the exchange rather than the technology.
    So does that mean that if I'm currently "hobbled" to 70 Mbps I can expect similar levels of hobbling when I eventually switch to NBN?

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will probably be at least as hobbled as you currently are... but... hfc speed is susceptible to the number of people actively using it, and as everyone will eventually be forced to NBN, there will be an increase in the number of people connected over your bit of HFC wire, which may see you hobbled even more..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry! I couldn't help over-hobbling your conversation.
    -Oh, how the mighty are fouling

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    So does that mean that if I'm currently "hobbled" to 70 Mbps I can expect similar levels of hobbling when I eventually switch to NBN?
    The "hobbling" is far more the case with upload speeds. I am almost always getting higher than 115 Mbps down, but never more than 2.55 Mbps up. With NBN (due here next August/September), we should be getting around 100/40 Mbps. I can currently get around 40/40 if I tether through my mobile, but that's a real PITA to organise.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tandeejay View Post
    You will probably be at least as hobbled as you currently are... but... hfc speed is susceptible to the number of people actively using it, and as everyone will eventually be forced to NBN, there will be an increase in the number of people connected over your bit of HFC wire, which may see you hobbled even more..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Actually the coax part only goes to the fibre optic cable break out box across the street. We are the only household connected to this coax run.

Coax can easily handle Gbps speeds, but can be overloaded if one cable has many downstream connections. A single fibre optic cable handled all of Seattle, for example.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...A single fibre optic cable handled all of Seattle, for example...
    How Hrrible! You'd be up awake all night!!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "hobbling" is far more the case with upload speeds..
    Ah yes, I notice that upload speeds rarely exceed 2 Mbps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The NBN is now available in my area so I trundled down to the Telstra shop to sign up. The good news is that our "bundle" pricing is unchanged. The other good news is that because it is fibre to the node they just change some stuff at the box on the corner and we should be right to go. Not sure what speed we will get but we are in an acreage area with only a few dozen homes past the Telstra box so I am hopeful. They provide a new modem / router which supports WiFi 802.11ac, which is apparently superfast. .However, as is the case with networks it will only be as fast as the slowest point and all of our computers WiFi adapters are 802.11n which is limited to 56 mbps. Still, being on under 7 mbs at the moment any increase would be welcome. 56 mbps would be spectacular.

Cutover is 8 am on 28 August. Will keep you posted (provided it all works).
    Andrew

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hawthy. You should be aware of what speeds you will get. You sign up for a package mostly based on
    "speed", ie, Download/Upload speeds, cited in Mbps (Megabits - not bytes - per second). The lowest,
    12/1, is most ISPs tout on their billboards. Next is 25/x, 50/y, and 100/z, where I don't know the x, y, z
    values off-hand.

From the sounds of things, you've got FTTN, where N is (phone) Node in the street. The rest is over
    phone lines to your house, with an "NBN" modem that can also handle phone signals over the NBN.

Your N-band WiFi should not be a problem, as you may well end up being on the base 12/1. Also,
    the NBN modem you get may well be a base model 56Mbps, though AC band beast.

In all, prepare to be underwhelmed, and good luck if you get more.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: N-band is NOT limited to 56Mbps, as many can do 300 (and I think higher).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks AM. You are correct. I took my advice about 802.11n versus 802.11ac from this website https://www.howtogeek.com/234751/wha...-do-i-need-it/

There is a difference between Megabits (Mb) and Megabytes (MB). There are 8 bits to each Byte. So, you are quite correct the N-Band can provide up to 450 Mbps, which is about 56MBps. Talk about confusing.

The internet speeds offered are: "Fast", which is up to 25 Mbps download; "Very Fast", which is 25 - 50 Mbps; and "Super Fast", which is 50 - 100 Mbps. The standard plan is up to 25 Mbps but you can pay extra to get the higher speeds and they will refund that if the infrastructure in your area can not deliver that speed. Given that I am currently operating pretty sweetly at 6.97 Mbps and the NBN should be that at least, and that there is no additional cost to me, I think that I will stick with the base package and see how that goes.

If people need a higher upload speed I can understand upgrading but I don't think that I need that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawthy View Post

If people need a higher upload speed I can understand upgrading but I don't think that I need that.
    Andrew, that's the reason I have my current 100 Mbps plan, the 2.5 Mbps upload speed instead of 1.5 Mbps! Since I occasionally upload 50 or more images at once, this makes a considerable difference.

I'm really looking forward to having 40 Mbps upload - about 16 times faster!

My web site has unlimited storage on fast SSDs with fast connections and routers. Unlimited bandwidth and data. The last link in this chain is a decent upload speed. Roll on the day ... .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a couple of sayings in the world, "You get what you pay for" and "Better the devil you know "
    Based on this, I decided to stay with Telstra with my phone and drop Dodo and Tpg as I had 2 separate phone lines and 2 ADSL providers...
    A Telstra tech, some years ago, declared my copper phone lines (1960's ?) dreadful and should be replaced..
    This never happened probably due to staff cuts
    So, I put off my NBN connection until the last moment...
    I searched my area looking for Node boxes and also found a map of node locations..
    100metres from a box looked ok but I thought my old copper lines would be a major bottleneck
    I spoke to Dodo on the phone and had to explain that we had several systems in Australia and not all FTTP as they were telling me it was fibre all the way everywhere
    Only Telstra has something called Telstra Air and I wanted this...
    Tpg with their "deceptive" advertising and not being up front with publishing their slow speeds lost me straight away for my NBN
    I have a Telstra NBN bundle still currently available for $99 and I also paid extra to upgrade my speeds to 50/20 rated speeds to see if my copper lines could cope
    Using my phone or Laptop connected by network cabling, speed check mostly reports about 49 down and about 19 upload speed ratings
    I have 2 Telstra modems
    One is the standard modem with dual band connection frequencies
    The other is a Telstra Frontier modem and it's claim to fame is that if the NBN line drops out, an internal mobile sim card will automatically connect me to the mobile network and I can continue on until the modem detects the NBN line is re-established and no extra charges to pay...
    Wireless N on my laptop only connects at 72 and I believe it's slow due to the default configuration setup when new...
    I'll get around to checking it out one day...
    Canon EOS 7D Mk II, Canon 70D, Canon G12, Canon EF-S 15-85mm, EF 70-200 L f4 IS, 580EX II

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast