• I seldom use either

9 37.50%
  • I mostly use a tripod

8 33.33%
  • I mostly use a monopod

5 20.83%
  • I use both about equally

2 8.33%

Thread: Hands up: how many legs do you stand on?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hands up: how many legs do you stand on?

If you use a long lens for sport or bird work - something like a 400 or a 600 - how do you support it?

- - - Updated - - -

PS: if you hand-hold a lot but also use a tripod or monopod, please just vote for tripod / monopod.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hand held mostly. Braced against a tree or something for choice. Chasing birds with a tripod is beyond me, and I have nor want no monopod. Though if I'm going to use a long lens for a careful landscape I'll use a tripod.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reason I voted tripod is because I only have a tripod. Have thought about a monopod, but don't have one yet, so it cannot influence my vote yet....
    John Blackburn

"Life is like a camera! Focus on what is important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out take another shot."

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm always on the monopod with the 120-400mm lens, with the camera braced hard against my cheek it becomes a tripod of sorts. It's the convenience of being able to take off quickly after a bird, without too much added weight and cumbersome load that I like about using a monopod. I know some folks have a preference for a tripod and gimble head, but it's just too cumbersome for me to lug around. Maybe if I was set up in a hide for hours on end focused on a nest or known perch it would be different.

can't remember
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most bird people seem to use monopods if they are not hand-holding (or that's the impression I get from reading threads here). I had one once but lent it to a friend and never got around to asking for it back. (Or maybe he kept it and paid me for it - don't remember.) Never really cottoned to it. Seemed a lot harder to carry around than just a lens, and you can't just set it up and leave it standing the way you do with a tripod. This makes standing waiting for a bird to turn up a bit of an ordeal after a while. With a tripod you can (depending on the species) even sit down on the ground and relax, but be ready to stand up again quickly and unobtrusively. Possibly also the weight of my big lens is a factor. At the shutter speeds I like to work with hand-holding is near enough to just as good as a tripod so far as camera movement goes (especially given IS) but I can't do it for very long at a time, and with shy birds, raising the lens back up to eye level after a rest often spooks them.

But I must give a monopod another go at some stage.

Interesting to see so many people not using monopods - I thought MP would be an easy winner of the poll.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we join up with the local bird watching groups it's either handheld or a monopod for the photographers amongst us, some of the fellows when out by themselves use tripods and gimbal heads when they know they are going to be waiting for ages on birds or are out and have all day to spend chasing down their shots and therefore have the time to wait patiently. I'm yet to fall into that category, as I always have severe time restrictions.

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm all hand held at present but fast approaching/already reached the stage where I should have a monopod. I rely on fast shutter at present but would like to upgrade my long lens and if and when I do think I'll have to get something to help support the weight. I know holding the current lens up to my eye waiting for that little bird to pop into a better position is becoming increasingly difficult.
    Glenda

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried using tripod for some (mainly sport), but this was only testing to see how it worked for me.
    I then tried using the tripod as a monopod(ie. legs all together) to simulate a mono, to see if I could use a monopod, but didn't like that either.

Strangely tho, most of my usage of any long lens has been on a tripod. But that's using it for landscapes and other slow paced pursuits.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

can't remember
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Ha! I've seen you using a tripod.

Most normal people spread the legs out, place the tripod on the ground, then bend down and put their eye to the viewfinder. Not our Arfur - he folds the legs together like a monopod, stands up straight, and lifts the whole thing up in the air to bring the viewfinder to his eye.

Cash in a plain brown paper bag please. I have the negatives.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've voted for monopod...
    I'm one of those lazy birders. Find a nice perch with good light, then wait for something to land

I have a quick release plate between the lens and ball head...a flick of the switch, and the monopod drops off.
    Also, I've recently attached an old camera strap to it as well so I can now sling it over the shoulder if I have to (which hasn't happened yet)
    If you replace the 'W' with 'T' in When, Where and What, you get the answer for each question.
    CC more than welcome. Remember, I can't be offended so go for it. Feel free to post your ideas with an edit if you have time. Thanks in advance.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    .... and lifts the whole thing up in the air to bring the viewfinder to his eye.

Hmmmm ... something to do with weight counterbalance, zen, ying and yang, dianetics, and crazy mad professor type hair styles, maybe!
    I kind'a remember the situation a little, and it may have been that I was expecting an earthquake to strike at any moment .. thus eliminating the tripod to ground connection, hence minimising vibrations.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything is Hand Held for me.. I am also a lazy Birder, and could not be bothered carting anymore gear around, the camera + lens is heavy enough.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hand held for me, I seldom sit and wait. Does get heavy after a few K's.
    Ross.
    Ross. Nikon D810, Nikon D300s, Nikkor 18-200, , Nikon 105mm Micro lens. Nikon 200-500mm lens

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Horses for courses for me. For wildlife and portrait work if I am using a lens under 400mm then I normally venture out hand held. Over 400mm then it is a monopod, but if I know I will be there for a while then I will pull out the tripod with a gimbal head.

If I ever do cityscape or landscape it is always a tripod with a ball head.

For travel photography I normally take a light kit so handheld is normally the go, but it I need to take a long shot then I will use some type of improvised support.
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sunrise/sunset landscapes and seascapes, and waterfalls = tripod.

Everything else = handheld.

Though I did try (and by try I mean failed) my hand at “birding” on the weekend, with my 18-250mm lens (completely inadequate for the cause) and I used a tripod on the waterfront shooting out onto Tuggerah lake.

I think if I ever get a zoom or even macro lens, I’d probably like to use a tripod if I can. But I imagine, especially with macro, that’d rarely be beneficial... I assume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Occasionally I will use a tripod (but need to replace said implement first........$$$)
    I do use the monopod for some sporting shots
    But mainly use it hand held or braced on something sturdy if need be.......the main reason I am getting too many so called soft shots

I know my problems and most of the fixes for them but $$$ play a major part of the fixes now.......in time, in time