As the title suggests I'm looking at a new long distance lens, initially on the D7200 and possibly on a D750.

Due to the size of my budget, the big primes are out of the equation, and I've narrowed the contenders down to three, the Nikon 200-500mm f5.6 ED VR, the Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 G2 Di VC USD and the Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sport.

I've looked at heaps of comparisons and the following observations seem to be constant.

IQ: No stand-out winner but at 500mm, the Nikon by a smidgeon.

AUTOFOCUS: The Nikon again, with the VR giving the most stable image in the viewfinder.

VR/VC/OS: Once again pretty even

1.4 T/C COMPATIBILITY: for the Nikon, a bit hit and miss with the other two

FOCAL LENGTH: Longer is better, right? However most testers commented that the long end of the Tamron and Sigma was nearer to 550mm than 600mm and both lost some IQ @ 600mm Hmmmm.

WEATHER SEALING: Tamron, tick, Sigma, tick, Nikon, no mention, although you can get a waterproof camo cover for about thirty bucks.

MOUNT: Tamron, with it's Arca Swiss foot, the Sigma and Nikon a bit iffy, but not enough to be a deterrent.

UPGRADES: The Sigma and Tamron, with their docks, have a big advantage. The Nikon has already had firmware updates which requires the lens to be sent back to Nikon involving postage cost and time without the lens.

BRAND LOYALTY: I have the Nikon AF-S 300mm f4, a cracker of a lens which I'll keep, whatever I decide on, the Sigma 150mm f2.8 Macro, cut ya' finger sharp, and the Tamron twins, the 24-70 and the 70-200 f2.8's, both exceeded my expectations, so I'd be delighted if the 150-600 was in the same league.

WEIGHT: T - 1990g: N - 2300g: S - 2860g Not really a factor as I'd do little hand-held shooting

PRICE: Depending on when, and where you look, the price seems to increase in line with the weight, with the Tamron the cheapest, the Nikon a bit dearer and the Sigma a bit dearer again.

VFM: The Tamron looks the best Value For Money with it's weather sealing, Arca Swiss lens foot and tap-in colsole.

BEST FOR ME: This will be my birding lens and as you birders know you often only have a couple of seconds to find the subject, get focus, stabilise, and take the shot. The Nikon generally seems to do this a tad better than the other two.

There really is not a great deal between the three lens and I guess it comes down to how they each fit your particular needs, likes and dislikes. I think I'd be pretty chuffed to own any one of them.

I'm still undecided so any pertinent comments appreciated.