Photoshop insists on doing weird things to me with colour rendering.

I have mucked about for an hour or two today with assigned profiles and colour settings and got nowhere. This shouldn't be hard.

All I want is for Photoshop to display the same image in the same colours as any normal program does (any of 50 image viewers, web browsers, and so on). I just want to see perfectly ordinary, everyday SRGB.

My monitor is calibrated. I've followed the recommended steps in two or three different how-to articles - but when I look at an image in Photoshop, the colours are different to the exact same images in PMView or XNView or a web browser.. I can put the two programs side-by-side on the same screen but they do not match. At least not reliably. (I haven't been entirely systematic about testing this as it never occurred to me for an instant that something so simpler and basic could be so difficult.)

In Photoshop, simply I want to see what I'm going to get in normal use (e.g., displaying a picture on a web page).

Is there a simple way to say "Look Photoshop, don't mess me about, I just want to put pictures on the screen the exact same way everything else does"?

- - - Updated - - -

PS: additional info which may be useful: I have only recently recalibrated my screen. I used not to have this problem, but it wasn't the fresh calibration which started it. I suspect (but am not sure) that it started when I had to uninstall - reinstall Photoshop a few weeks ago because the original install started refusing to take updates.

Now I can (for example) open an image in Camera Raw, adjust it to taste, and save the image. When I look at the saved image (using almost any program) it is NOT the same colour as the version I see in Camera Raw. Photoshop proper is the same as Camera Raw. All other programs work normally.