User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  18

Thread: Ever wondered what the internet weighs?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ever wondered what the internet weighs?

Have you ever wondered what the internet weigh?

Not the cables, computers, routers etc that supply all the information on the internet, but the actual internet itself.. the information.. the data. It is estimated that the internet is made up of 540 billion trillion electrons. So to put this in perspective, the internet weighs about the same as one strawberry.
    Last edited by ricktas; 30-06-2017 at 8:32pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume that weight excludes the now defunct Big Strawberry at Yatala?
    Last edited by Hawthy; 30-06-2017 at 8:44pm.
    Andrew

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawthy View Post
    I assume that weight excludes the now defunct Big Strawberry at Yatala?
    I heard that PIES are SQUARE at Yatala

Anyway, progress is such that we can expect unrelenting and exponential growth of the Internet.

--And that can only mean we'll have Strawberry Fields Forever
    (Unless they're devastated by plagues of Beatles.)
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Have you ever wondered what the internet weigh?

Not the cables, computers, routers etc that supply all the information on the internet, but the actual internet itself.. the information.. the data. It is estimated that the internet is made up of 540 billion trillion electrons. So to put this in perspective, the internet weighs about the same as one strawberry.
    Obviously it can't be compared to a Blackberry then.
    Last edited by Ross the fiddler; 30-06-2017 at 10:21pm.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 12 (& Olympus Workspace).

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does Binary 0 have the same mass as a Binary 1 and if not, how does that affect the electrons?

Cheers

Dennis

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Yes. Binary zeros, like binary ones, are encoded as sequences of transition zones between positively polarised and negatively polarised regions. If the Internet used light instead of electromagnetism, the ones and zeros would be the lines dividing black from white.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    ^ Yes. Binary zeros, like binary ones, are encoded as sequences of transition zones between positively polarised and negatively polarised regions. If the Internet used light instead of electromagnetism, the ones and zeros would be the lines dividing black from white.
    Hi Tony

Thanks for the explanation and "light" analogy making the visualisation a little easier to grasp.

But, you're not off the hook yet...

At the Black/White boundary, or +ve/-ve boundary, what does the transition zone look like? If it is neither B or W, + or -, then is it something in-between? If it is something in-between, what lies between the in-between space and the adjacent B or W space...

Cheers

Dennis

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, Dennis, I was being a little disingenuous. I carefully muddied the waters by describing the way that magnetic storage works (i.e., hard drives). Data stored electronically (solid state drives, RAM) and data in transit (network transmissions) is different. I'm not sure that I'm far enough up to speed on non-magnetic data storage to make any sort of intelligent comment. But to answer your question as it applies to magnetic storage (which is still overwhelmingly the most important sort so far as volume of data contained is concerned), the "black" zones are small areas of material magnetised such that the north poles point to (for example) the right, while the "white" zones are identica but have been magnetised such that the north poles point to the left.

(Remember that it isn't the "light" or "dark" zone that stores the data. It is the pattern of transitions between light and dark which stores it. For detail on a simple, long-since disused system for this called RLL, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run-length_limited Modern storage uses vastly more complex systems which make your brain hurt.)

The magnetised material, once upon a time a simple film of iron oxide (rust), these days is made up of layers coated onto an inert (glass or aluminium) substrate. First comes a layer of cobalt-nickel-iron alloy, followed by an incredibly thin (4 atoms!) layer of ruthenium, followed by a second layer of cobalt-nickel-iron, all followed by a complex top layer made largely of cobalt-chromium-platinum with a dash of extra ruthenium and a sprig of mint.

OK, I lied about the mint. The rest of it is true though.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, now you'll have to guess the weight of my desk, where data is stored on countless pieces of paper
    in a state of constant chaos... Hang on! Can chaos be a state? A state implies a certain order...
    Oh well, maybe a Nanny State does not
    Last edited by ameerat42; 01-07-2017 at 7:51pm. Reason: Coupler tyos a coupler times...

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Putin has ordered all Russians to eat strawberries in an attempt to crash the interweb.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you saying there's a rush on 'em?

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Putin has ordered all Russians to eat strawberries in an attempt to crash the interweb.
    I grew some strawberries once. My Father-in-law suggested I put horse manure on them, but whipped cream tasted better......
    Last edited by Gazza; 01-07-2017 at 10:13pm.
    If you replace the 'W' with 'T' in When, Where and What, you get the answer for each question.
    CC more than welcome. Remember, I can't be offended so go for it. Feel free to post your ideas with an edit if you have time. Thanks in advance.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    I grew some strawberries once. My Father-in-law suggested I put horse manure on them, but whipped cream tasted better......
    I had a strawberry lodged in my bum. I saw the doctor who told me to put some cream on it.

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    I had a strawberry lodged...
    Geez! You've been in the wars, Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    I saw ... doctor who...put some cream on it...
    Hmm! I don't recall that episode, but some weird things happen in the TARDIS
    Last edited by ameerat42; 01-07-2017 at 11:16pm. Reason: Fix ypto