User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: D3300 and D5500 ???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

D3300 and D5500 ???

Well things just keep getting better and better.........

Now my Nikon D3300 is rejecting both batteries. Working perfectly one day and not the next. One of the batteries is the Nikon supplied battery.
    This happend at the same time, the main reason why I don't suspect the batteries just the camera.

"This battery cannot be used". Bloody marvelous! Tried both batteries and also put them in my grip. Same message every time!
    I ordered 3 more batteries a week or so ago, not sure when they will arrive, will try the new batteries but I know I will get the samne result.
    Looks like I will be sending my camera body off to be repaired. Probably cost more then the body is worth! %#$#^%@^%$!

If the repairs look like costing around the $400 mark I'm thinking of replacing the D3300 with a D5500. Lens', battery grip and extra batteries should all work in this body and it has the articulated display I would like for those "funny angle" shots (Especially the Moon at the top of it's arc).

Who has a D5500 and are you happy with it?
    D5500 18-55 & 55-300mm, Intervalometre/remote, Cokin filters I never use and a pocket Fuji camera 14Mp with 3x optical & my Samsung Galaxy S5

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deathrox View Post
    "This battery cannot be used". Bloody marvelous! Tried both batteries and also put them in my grip. Same message every time!
    I ordered 3 more batteries a week or so ago, not sure when they will arrive, will try the new batteries but I know I will get the samne result.
    Looks like I will be sending my camera body off to be repaired. Probably cost more then the body is worth! %#$#^%@^%$!

D3300 doesn't offer an official Nikon battery grip, so yours would have to be an aftermarket grip.
    Does it allow the use of AA batteries? If so have you tried them?

A common problem with Nikon cameras is that a couple of years ago, Nikon had pulled out all the stops to eliminate thirdparty batteries working in their cameras.
    For no other reason than to profit on battery accessory sales.
    As I remember, they issued a firmware update that supposedly fixed a few issues on the camera, but the primary reason for this firmware update was to make thirdparty batteries 'incompatible'.

if you use thirdparty batteries, be sure to find the types that are definitely Nikon compatible.

Have you recently updated the firmware on the camera?
    If so, that's most likely the issue.
    If not .. can't help(sorry).

If you did update the firmware, then there could be a solution that involves a non Nikon firmware update.
    But this may be hard to do if the camera can't turn on with the batteries you do have (or are coming).

Let us know either way, when the new ones arrive.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No recent firmware upgrade. Grip takes Nikon batteries only.

Could not wait any longer for the new batteries. Bought a new D5500 with 18-55 kit lens from of all places "The Good Guys" got the whole kit for about the same as most places sell just the body. $632.40.

Courier from Sydney to regional QLD just $30! expecting it no later than early next week. So I get a new body with Aussie warranty, another spare genuine battery and spare 18-55 lens.

NIKON celebrates 100 years very soon. Keep an eye out for some bargains.
    Last edited by deathrox; 05-07-2017 at 8:21am.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let us know what happens with the old batteries that don't work in the D3300 now too.

I'd be curious to know if there's a problem with the D3300 or the batteries.

One last point to note. Sometimes the contacts develop some surface anomalies. They are supposed to be gold plated, but maybe your area has some environmental impact on them.
    This could cause a slight issue that's developed into a major issue.

Clean battery contacts(usually a softish eraser helps) and try to reach into the cameras battery compartment with a cotton bud with some sort of cleaning fluid on it and clean the cameras battery pins too.

Other than that, I can't think of why you'd suddenly get the error, unless the camera simply developed an issue.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These Nikon batteries can not be cleaned in that manner. The contacts in the camera are a blade type so the battery contact are deeply recessed.
    I'll be trying the batteries in the D5500 when it gets here.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These Nikon batteries can not be cleaned in that manner. ....
    Of course!(stupid me).
    Should have checked my EL15 before making that comment.

A few years ago, Japanese regulations stipulated that the contacts on the batteries had to be such that they couldn't short out accidentally when in storage outside of the device, so camera makers had to adjust to suit.
    We now have those recessed blade type batteries.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The D5500 arrived today... Wow very nice, some cool new stuff to learn.
    First thing I did was put the D3300 battery in the D5500..... yep turned on right asway no issues. So the D3300 is the problem. I'm charging the new D5500 battery and will try it in the D3300 but I know it will not work.

One extra upshot of the D5500 kit is it came with the new AF-P 18-55 lens, with the new stepping motor it's supposed to be very quiet focussing.

Lets hope everything keeps looking up. I also registered both the new Body and Lens for a 2 year warranty.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The D5500 arrived today... Wow very nice, some cool new stuff to learn.
    First thing I did was put the D3300 battery in the D5500..... yep turned on right asway no issues. So the D3300 is the problem. I'm charging the new D5500 battery and will try it in the D3300 but I know it will not work.

One extra upshot of the D5500 kit is it came with the new AF-P 18-55 lens, with the new stepping motor it's supposed to be very quiet focussing.

Lets hope everything keeps looking up. I also registered both the new Body and Lens for a 2 year warranty.
    Enjoy