User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: "Predicting" beautiful sunrises/sunsets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Predicting" beautiful sunrises/sunsets

This is more out of curiosity, but I was wondering if anyone has used various weather apps or websites to try to "predict" better colours in a sunrise or sunset?

I came across this article which seems quite interesting. I might have to give it a go some time. But perhaps others have already explored the shortfalls and successes of this procedure? Article is here:
    https://www.exploringexposure.com/bl...pe-photography

I'm aware that when things seem too good to be true they most likely are. But also, I woke to the most beautiful sunrise I've seen in a long time this morning, so my interest was sparked.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Most sunrise sunsets with good colour, need something in the atmosphere to create them. Clouds, dust, smoke. With clouds the best sunsets occur when there are high stratosphere clouds, rather than clouds that are closer to the earth's surface.

I tend to just use weather websites to firstly see what the weather is going to be. No use getting up at 5am if its going to be closed in and raining.

The other thing to consider is the time of the year. Some locations are great in summer, but as the sun moves to a more northerly aspect in winter, the sun is no longer in the right sky position for your great shots. I have a beach here in Tas that is wonderful for dawn photography..in summer. The beach faces slightly south east, so in winter the sun ends up coming up behind the northern headland.

Having said all this, sometimes the low cloud creates dramatic results, cause you get a break in the cloud and crepuscular rays get through.

Sunsets are easier cause you can look to the skies during the day and if there are high level whispy clouds you are more likely to get a good sunset (if the clouds hang around). Sunrise, is harder to predict cause you cannot see the skies well at night (and presumably you are sleeping till your alarm goes off).

And sometimes you just fail miserably. I have gotten up at 3.30am, driven for 2 hours and clambered down to a rocky waterfront, to sit there and watch as the sky goes from black to grey to dull. Just remember to buy a big flask and take lots of coffee. Landscape photography is like fishing sometimes, you go, setup and wait... and occasionally you haul in a good one. Oh and take your phone cause you can sit there reading threads on AP, whiled bored with your surrounds
    Last edited by ricktas; 24-06-2017 at 8:16am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Just remember to buy a big flask and take lots of coffee. Landscape photography is like fishing sometimes, you go, setup and wait... and occasionally you haul in a good one. Oh and take your phone cause you can sit there reading threads on AP, whiled bored with your surrounds
    Haha I'll keep that in mind Ricktas - coffee + phone. But seriously, thank you for the wonderful advice. There are a lot of great points there. I guess I am most interested in the height/level of the clouds, hence why that website/app looks particularly appealing. I'm going to have a play around I think and just track the accuracy over the next couple of weeks. Perhaps there are some patterns to look out for.

I'm at a good time of year - sunrises in Brisbane are particularly beautiful. Sunsets, not so much. So I will see what I can do!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Min, Rick has covered it well. Haze reduces colour and clarity, so if you are near the ocean, calm preceeding weather and low humidity helps. I look forward to seeing your results and hearing how well your new app works.
    cheers marty.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by martycon View Post
    G'day Min, Rick has covered it well. Haze reduces colour and clarity, so if you are near the ocean, calm preceeding weather and low humidity helps. I look forward to seeing your results and hearing how well your new app works.
    cheers marty.
    Thanks Marty, I appreciate it