Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  13

Thread: registrations re-opened for now

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

registrations re-opened for now

Hi all,

I have turned off new member registrations temporarily. The site is undergoing a registration spam attack. We (thanks Ameerat) and I are banning them before they post, but turning off registrations for a while might halt the attack when they realise they can no longer register.

registrations will be turned back on at some point soon.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    registrations are back on, but we are limiting registrations from several 'free' online email domains still.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So overnight, we had about 20 registrations from this spam group. They just started using different email domains. I have opened back up the email domains I had blocked. I have banned all the spam accounts, and done some tweaking on our registration process to see if I cannot stop these.

I added an extra question to the registration process, cause if the spam accounts are being auto-created, that would block them when they could not get past the extra question. Straight away, the registrations continued, and the new question was being answered correctly. So I feel this spam attack is being driven by humans. Each registration is a different IP address.. all over the world. So they are sitting behind a VPN that is allocating them random IP addresses.

I have now tweaked the 'human verification' aspects of registration to see if that stops them.

If not, I will turn on another feature that will let them register, but not post, until authorised by the mod team.

During this time, if you see a spam post, please report it. We are working hard at stopping them getting that far, but one could slip through.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is what we have seen in the last few hours:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious, what's in it for them? Is it just malicious "because I can" behaviour? Spam practice and refinement for a harder target? .......?
    My Flickr Site
    Instagram _alex_ham_

Gear - Canon 5D mkIII, 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS, nifty 50, 75-300 f4-5.6. Sigma SD Quattro H, Sigma 35 mm Art, Sigma 85 mm Art, Canon G1X MkII, Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, iPhone.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think I have stopped them now. No new registrations since 7.45am. They are still trying.. 20 attempts since 7.45 and all are being blocked by my defensive strategy.

@Hamster; when they did get through they were posting links to websites that purported to be 'free to air' watching of major sporting events. But the links embedded inside the actual code was malicious. So if someone clicked the link thinking they would get to watch something from foxtel etc for free, they ended up possibly being subjected to malware/spamware etc.

They only managed to post a couple of times, and we quickly removed the threads/posts. Last night and this morning, we were banning them as they joined, whilst also trying to increase our defences to stop them automatically. Which, for now, I have succeeding in doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    I'm curious, what's in it for them? Is it just malicious "because I can" behaviour? Spam practice and refinement for a harder target? .......?
    Not 100% sure, but usually it has to to with money & ripping people off. Perhaps down the track they're planning to post something like - you can earn money with your photography by doing blah blah, click this dodgy URL to find out more.
    Last edited by piczzilla; 16-06-2017 at 10:31am.
    https://www.instagram.com/piczzilla

D800 || Sigma Macro 105mm f2.8 || Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 || Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 || various trinkets

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    capturing them automatically and blocking their registrations.. for now. (times are AEST)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers chaps, makes sense. With the size of the interwebs an automated large scale scam still leads decent rewards. Even after blocks, malware protection and non gullible people, what's left still yields a return.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fear that saying "bottom feeders!" only serves to unfairly denigrate an unassuming and innocent life-form.
    These others challenge description
    CC, Image editing OK.