Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: Degenerating Photo's

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Degenerating Photo's

Is it me or do photo's stored on hard drives\computers loose image quality. I look in albums from a couple of years back & think they look ordinary, dullish, no sharpness?? I believe I was using the same equipment as I am now. I don't know, it seems strange.
    Filter

EOS R & 16-35 f4 EF, 70-200 2.8 RF
    Olympus OMD-EM1 Mark II 7-14 12-40 40-150 Pro lens.
    EOS 7D Mark II - 70D - Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, 17 - 55 2.8 Lenses

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure but if I noticed the same thing on my photos I would assume I had improved my technique and PP skills . I recently looked through a photo book I made after a trip to Vietnam about 7 years ago and thought at the time the photos were fantastic, now they look like cr***. I have revisited some photos I took in 2011 and reprocessed them. They were stored on an external hard drive and I didn't notice any obvious difference to the quality of the raw images.
    Glenda

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect your perception of a good photo has changed along with your post processing skills as LPlates mentioned.

I often look back through my library and cringe a little at some the photos I gave 5 stars to 5 years ago. A lot of them wouldn't make the cut by today's standards but it's good to understand your progression because often it's subtle and you don't see the changes month by month or photo by photo.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Digital files don't degrade in subtle ways. Some rare and mostly unimportant exceptions aside, digital degredation is either so minor as not to matter, or clear and obvious. You don't get, for example, an overall loss of sharpness. That would require exactly the right random changes made to many thousands of different numbers - an event so incredibly unlikely as to be effectively impossible. In short: you have got better at your craft.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same perception of my old files. I think the biggest problem is monitors and software.
    Older monitors didn't allow for fine adjustments of pics and software now does a better job.
    My 2c worth.
    ( I have re-edited many pics now).
    Regards
    John
    Nikon D750, Sigma 105mm OS Macro, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Sigma 24-105 Art, Sigma 150-600C,
    Benro Tripod and Monopod with Arca plates

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here is a thought. Have you changed the light source in the room where your computer is located? Perhaps you have upgraded to say energy efficient LEDs? The ambient light in the room can completely alter the way images look on computers/tv's etc.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other option if your using the same monitor is that your monitors quality is deteriorating or changed calibration , and when you process now your compensating for that difference in quality, but your older photos were processed when your monitor was newer/factory calibrated, and when displayed on the monitor now, are showing up that change in your monitor.

Time for a re-calibration?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John Blackburn

"Life is like a camera! Focus on what is important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out take another shot."